What Kind of United Ireland Would You Prefer?

What Kind of United Ireland Would You Prefer?

• Total voters

General Urko

I To answer the OP, the UI I'm, I want is the exact one which will happen - NONE! :rolleyes2:

ruman

Ideally NI would join the EU as a seperate nation. As we move inevitably towards a federal europe nation states are becoming increasinly irrelevant. I couldnt see any upside really to a " united ireland" best to let the unionist pretend they are a seperate nation for the sake of peace and quiet. If both were part of the EU there's no need for a united ireland

recedite

Ideally NI would join the EU as a seperate nation. As we move inevitably towards a federal europe nation states are becoming increasinly irrelevant.
City states and smaller regional assemblies should be viable under the EU umbrella. In practice (eg Catalonia) the EU will not support them, but that is a political matter.
They could survive and thrive in the EU.

NI is not really a separate nation though. And if nation states are becoming less relevant, then why create another one.
Federation of 4 would sort out the above contradictions.
Also the provincial devolution would solve a lot of problems currently being experienced in Dublin. Housing shortages, traffic gridlock, all caused by an imbalance in development. Anyone remember when decentralisation was proposed as a remedy?
Except it never really happens.
The other regions would obviously benefit too, if they got a greater share of development and jobs.

SideysGhost

I'm amazed the body politic (and civil society) hasn't been discussing this exact stuff.

It is long past time to have started.
Errrr there's a Senate Committee on this that have been churning out reports into various technical and administrative aspects of unification for the last few years, including commissioning reports from German economists etc.

Quite a lot of work has already been done, quietly. Everyone is just waiting for Brexit to conclude, one way or the other. And then people who have not been paying attention will be rather surprised at how quickly Dublin will be able to produce facts, figures, costings, proposals, and plans

Skin the Goat

=SideysGhost;12597344
...people who have not been paying attention will be rather surprised at how quickly Dublin will be able to produce facts, figures, costings, proposals, and plans
None of which have proven to be Dublin's strong point over the last 50 or so years

Éire Abú

I really don't want a United Ireland.
I really hope that Britain continues to pay for Northern Ireland.
If there is a United Ireland, taxes will increase in the Republic in order to pay for Northern Ireland.

SideysGhost

I really don't want a United Ireland.
I really hope that Britain continues to pay for Northern Ireland.
If there is a United Ireland, taxes will increase in the Republic in order to pay for Northern Ireland.
Ah another Newbie spouting nonsense. So let me guess.....MAGAhead or Brexiteer?

Skin the Goat

Ya mean the last 50 years of massive economic and social progress? Those 50 years?

Fecking muppet :roflmao:
If you think any of Ireland's econmoic (or social) advancements are due in any meaningful way to government costings, proposals, and plans, then I've a bridge in Brooklyn you may be interested in buying.

SideysGhost

If you think any of Ireland's econmoic (or social) advancements are due in any meaningful way to government costings, proposals, and plans, then I've a bridge in Brooklyn you may be interested in buying.
Why would I want a bridge in Brooklyn? Are you another of the demented MAGA crowd that have been infesting the place recently? :unsure:

NMunsterman

There are TWO nations in Northern Ireland. Sorry for mentioning this very inconvenient fact.
You should give Fr. Dougal a shout, you know de lad over on Craggy Island - they say he's an authority on de ould 2 nations thingy.

By the way, are you one of dem lads who'd be thinking of sending the International Rugby Board a letter to advise that they should change the name of the 6Nations -> 7Nations Rugby Championship ?

If you do, be sure and keep us posted as to their reply.