Time to re-name Westmoreland Street?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Children are fúcking everywhere as it is; what's wrong with that rarest of rare things, a country run by adults?
On some subjects children actually make more sense than adults. Street naming would be one of them. They are unlikely to want to name a street after some long dead general or anyone else with a sanitised political history. Mainly because in their innocence they probably haven't heard of any of them yet.

They'd come up with things they like. Which would be funny. 'Skateboard Street'. 'Streety MccStreetface'. I'd love read a list of suggestions by Irish kids of primary school age as I suspect the logic would be hilarious and quite imaginative.

How many Irish kids know anything at all about Westmoreland except maybe that it is a street in Dublin? Can't do much harm either introducing them to the Citizen's Assembly process.

A lot of people would be concerned about raising kids' awareness of politics and the process so this seems like a harmless and interesting way to do that too.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
We should consider selling the street names. Lots of rich yanks would love a street named after them, they’d pay to fix potholes etc .
Another good idea. Although I'm not sure about having half of Dublin named after Denis O'Brien. Merrion Square or the Denis O'Brien Four Courts Bar & Grill would probably be appropriate but how would we know he didn't get it for nothing in an opaque tendering process?

A Voice

Give Irish schoolchildren their own Citizen's Assembly and let them go for it. If they want 'Streety McStreetface' why not let them do it?

It would make people smile which the sign for Westmoreland Street cannot compete with. It would be great fun reading the suggestions kids could come up with and it would be one of those rare amusing joys which actually connects kids with their society in an imaginative way.

It would be great fun and I believe there is as yet no directive, law, regulation or ethical code against such an approach.
:rolleyes2: How about just letting them have a childhood and stop imposing adult preoccupations on them? Do we really need to pander to the kids and get their civic engagement up a few more notches? What could possibly go wrong? Well . . .

View attachment 1793

redneck

Keep the name. But use the Irish version, Sráid Westmoreland. Also the famous American Vietnam war General was William Westmoreland. Also called "Westie".
He was in charge of US military in South Vietnam in '67 and '68. More useless info LOL

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
A Voice;12601967]:rolleyes2: How about just letting them have a childhood and stop imposing adult preoccupations on them? Do we really need to pander to the kids and get their civic engagement up a few more notches? What could possibly go wrong? Well . . .
Well my suggestion was not to make it compulsory with a teacher standing over them with a leather-strap. No intent to deny them a childhood at all.

I was rather thinking of having a competition where they could enter a name in the competition if they felt like it. Something relatively non-militant like that and probably something that wouldn't interrupt the old childhood but might actually enhance it.

Talk Back

On some subjects children actually make more sense than adults. Street naming would be one of them. They are unlikely to want to name a street after some long dead general or anyone else with a sanitised political history. Mainly because in their innocence they probably haven't heard of any of them yet.

They'd come up with things they like. Which would be funny. 'Skateboard Street'. 'Streety MccStreetface'. I'd love read a list of suggestions by Irish kids of primary school age as I suspect the logic would be hilarious and quite imaginative.

How many Irish kids know anything at all about Westmoreland except maybe that it is a street in Dublin? Can't do much harm either introducing them to the Citizen's Assembly process.

A lot of people would be concerned about raising kids' awareness of politics and the process so this seems like a harmless and interesting way to do that too.
Most Irish people who go through the 'Southern Ireland' State school system end up totally ignorant of the factual history of Ireland.

Just read the Free State apologist bs in the history forum here.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Most Irish people who go through the 'Southern Ireland' State school system end up totally ignorant of the factual history of Ireland.

Just read the Free State apologist bs in the history forum here.
Oh don't worry. I rarely listened in school and am mostly self-educated via wild-associative reading.

Uganda

We could name it Charles J Haughey street..

Expect it's not crooked enough.

between the bridges

Oh don't worry. I rarely listened in school and am mostly self-educated via wild-associative reading.
Did ye get a big star for progressing from the pop ups?...

between the bridges

We could name it Charles J Haughey street..

Expect it's not crooked enough.
In the mythological utopian UI the oppressed minority will be king, therefore expect renaming to include , Lord Bannside bridge over the Liffey and Billy's Boulevard along its banks, Paisley Park at Stevie's green surrounded by Mad Dog Mews, and the Aras will be called " Wee dafties big hoose"....

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The way Brexit is going we'll be able to pick up Oxford Street in London next year for half nothing and re-name it Adams Street.

McTell

Twitter
No
The way Brexit is going we'll be able to pick up Oxford Street in London next year for half nothing and re-name it Adams Street.

Not another scottish oppressor? :sick:

All the same, Scotland isn't far from westmoreland.

Last edited: