Celebrity gay stuff: is homophobia OK if you have a famous gay friend?

madmullah

Really? So do you think Alexander the Great and Julius Caesar had a mental problem, having founded 2 empires and being the greatest generals and statesmen in history?
Yes probably, and not only in terms of their " alleged gayness" the things they did in terms of slaughtering people would have them locked up nowdays. Just because a person has what would be considered as "abnormal sexual preferences" does not mean he or she cannot function in other capacities. As an example our "Toeshock" is a medical doctor as well as having abnormal sexual preferences.

Wagmore

Really? So do you think Alexander the Great and Julius Caesar had a mental problem, having founded 2 empires and being the greatest generals and statesmen in history?
Brutus obviously thought there was some sort of bug in the software.

Allegro

Trawling through someone's tweets from years ago seems to be a pretty sinister way of hounding out heretics to the happy-clappy, LGBT cause. Sure, he shouldn't have said what he said, but the reaction is just so overblown, it beggars belief. A minority of gay people seem to revel in victimhood.

Mercurial

Any comedian who dreamed up a routine about "how awful it would be if his son turned out straight" would be putting an agenda before the comedy. Comedy should always come first if audience isn't going to feel preached at or pulpitised. The only way it could work is if the comedian doing it was outwardly gay. Then it might be actually funny but that's not where you were coming from. You were trying to make a political point. Comedy death I'm afraid
So why aren’t you criticising Hart for being preachy then?

Wagmore

So why aren’t you criticising Hart for being preachy then?
To extrapolate from my example, if Hart's joke was about him being straight and how he knocked his son over the head for not playing with a doll's house, that would be preachy and about as funny as infant mortality. It's called Comedy. I'll PM you a few tips if you like. Sense you need them.

Dame_Enda

Prof Finnis' anti gay remarks were made in 1994. There were many Irish TDs who were expressing homophobic views around that time. People change. As part of the LGBT identity I think that we should not judge too harshly based on the standards of 2018, which is far more liberal than 1994.

Mercurial

To extrapolate from my example, if Hart's joke was about him being straight and how he knocked his son over the head for not playing with a doll's house, that would be preachy and about as funny as infant mortality. It's called Comedy. I'll PM you a few tips if you like. Sense you need them.
His bit was about how he’d hate to have a gay child. So why aren’t you complaining about how preachy that is?

Mercurial

Prof Finnis' anti gay remarks were made in 1994. There were many Irish TDs who were expressing homophobic views around that time. People change. As part of the LGBT identity I think that we should not judge too harshly based on the standards of 2018, which is far more liberal than 1994.
Finnis’ views on gay people haven’t changed.

Wagmore

His bit was about how he’d hate to have a gay child. So why aren’t you complaining about how preachy that is?
I initially responded to your hypothetical political point about where are the comedians who joke about how horrible it would be to have a straight son. And I replied that they're the ones who don't get gigs because they're being preachy. I stand over that. You're trying to manipulate me into offering an opinion on something that doesn't follow and has nothing to do with my point. Hart maybe being a lot of things with his attempted joke but preachy it ain't. There's debate to be had about whether it's objectionable but that's not anything to do with what I originally posted

Allegro

What were the remarks?

Wagmore

Sorry, I obviously don't mean preachy in the same context as you used it. I mean politically preachy in that your original point was a political one.Politics, agendas. If they come before the comedy, Comedy car crash follows. That's the point I'm, admittedly, struggling to make

Fr Dougal

It may come as a surprise to you but most parents want grandchildren.

Beachcomber

It may come as a surprise to you but most parents want grandchildren.
Do you think that if a gay person was told that by their parents that they could simply start being straight?

The "comedy" routine was about him thumping his child if they showed supposed signs of being gay. Do you think it would be helpful to thump a male child for daring to want to play with a doll's house?

Fr Dougal

Do you think that if a gay person was told that by their parents that they could simply start being straight?

The "comedy" routine was about him thumping his child if they showed supposed signs of being gay. Do you think it would be helpful to thump a male child for daring to want to play with a doll's house?
No. But the vast majority of parents want grandchildren.