Celebrity gay stuff: is homophobia OK if you have a famous gay friend?

Beachcomber

I have said worse in my day about gays, straights, travellers etc...
Just because he says these out loud doesn't mean that others mightnt be thinking the same thing.
Did people laugh?
Brendan O'Carroll called gays queers in one episode. It was a joke. Big deal.

What joke was there when Hart called another person a "fat fag"?

Hart has engaged in homophobic name-calling 100 times in tweets. There was no jokes involved - just infantile name calling.

Beachcomber

No but the US has a long history of homophobia in some states. Remember during the Bush admin there were referendums in many states banning gay marriage including in liberal Oregon and California. Hart may have been reflecting the times.
Not believing in gay marriage doesn't mean that a person is homophobic.

Was Obama being homophobic when he said that he didn't support it?

Are you really saying that outright homophobia (openly calling people fags etc) was a mainstream activity back 10 years ago?

Beachcomber

Homophobia is such a BS term. Phobia FFS? World needs to find a word that conveys something less extreme than connotations around phobia. I'm not gay but my sense it's way OTT and promotes division. Would be interested to hear a gay person's perspective. Do believe Hart should be canned if he publicly called someone a "fat fag."
How about "hatred of gays" instead of a single word?

Beachcomber

More nonsense from the permanently offended brigade , he made a few off colour comments on social nearly a decade ago , hardly the crime of te century. He has apologized and that should be it , move on. Let him host the Oscars and get the moral police to back off.
100 homophobic comments is "a few" in your idiot world?

Beachcomber

Is this not a self deprecating joke? isn't it funny because he is likening himself to a homophobe, would it be funny if he was an actual homophobe?
Where is he likening himself to a homophobe?

His statement is an admission that he is a homophobe.

Beachcomber

It could have been a nothing story but for how badly he managed the fallout.
Exactly.

Betson is so used to picking out 1 statement that suits him from the 7/8 statements that Trump makes on any issue that he's now applying it to Kevin Hart.

Over the years Hart didn't apologise and tried to excuse what he had said, while still engaging in homophobic activity. His "clear apology" only came within the last few months, and its sincerity has been undermined by various other non-apologies that Hart has stated.

Plus Hart has played the self-pitying "why is everybody still picking on me?" card. He accuses people who point out facts about the situation as being haters and trolls.

Beachcomber

A comedian said a few bad words in the past and has been rejected as the host of an A list gala consisting entirely of over indulged, self important progressive stooges, who's hurt?, who's offended?, who cares?.
He made 100 homophobic tweets in the past, and was homophobic in his stand up comedy routine and in interviews.

He wasn't rejected as host - he stood down.

Who cares? You do, since you'e posting on this thread.

Beachcomber

Exactly.
This is bland old stuff. One would think there are more pressing matters for the gay community in Russia or the Middle East or Africa that they should be focusing on.

It was comedy around 10 yrs ago and he has said sorry.
Obviously those orchestrating this don't know of forgive and forget.

What comedy was involved in his 100 homophobic tweets?

He didn't claim that those tweets were comedy. He has said that they were just the way that he and his pals communicated.

benroe

Where is he likening himself to a homophobe?

His statement is an admission that he is a homophobe.
But then its not funny, its only funny if he's joking, how do you know he wasn't joking?, I mean the mans a comedian.

General Mayhem

What joke was there when Hart called another person a "fat fag"?

Hart has engaged in homophobic name-calling 100 times in tweets. There was no jokes involved - just infantile name calling.
Where does ‘flappy nuct’ fall, when used between male friends?

Is it gynophobia, or cynophobia?

Beachcomber

But then its not funny, its only funny if he's joking, how do you know he wasn't joking?, I mean the mans a comedian.
It's not funny in any instance.

How is it funny if he was joking?

Wagmore

How about "hatred of gays" instead of a single word?
Yeah-hatred sounds more identifiable. Homophobic covers a multitude and smacks of manipulation. A bit like the word straight. Sorta implies hets are boring. My worry is that these wordplays are intentional.

Wagmore

Getting preached at? What are you talking about?
Any comedian who dreamed up a routine about "how awful it would be if his son turned out straight" would be putting an agenda before the comedy. Comedy should always come first if audience isn't going to feel preached at or pulpitised. The only way it could work is if the comedian doing it was outwardly gay. Then it might be actually funny but that's not where you were coming from. You were trying to make a political point. Comedy death I'm afraid

Last edited:

madmullah

This term Homophobia is just another invention of the outraged gays who have used it to successfully to push an agenda and stifle rational discussion to a situation where now Homosexuality is considered as normal and it seems is often been promoted as preferable by some groups.
It is not. It may be natural for some, even preferable for other but a man who desire to have sex with another man has probably some mental problem regardless of what the association of Phys..... have stated. The very thought is abhorrent / distasteful to most normal men. (The same applies to women)
Should legislation / laws etc discriminate against them because of their illness/ weakness/ deviant behavior whatever ? , No .. and it does not do so now.
But should society have to listen to the tripe that they in some ways they are complete and normal human beings etc ….No. But they do and in doing so display a great deal of tolerance.
Meanwhile individuals can make their own choices as to how they associate or interact with homosexuals. This is their choice. If they wish as individuals to ignore them, shun them, stay away from them or embrace them that is their choice what they should not do is physically attack, threathen violence them or openly abuse them.
Every individual has a right to discriminate as regards his choice of friends acquaintances etc., and how he interacts with them. I cannot see our gay Toeshoch Leo becoming big mates with Donald as it appears he did with Mr. I am so cool and “ Liberal “ Trudeau.
I have relatives who are gay , I love them and treat them equally as with my normal ( straight) relatives. I will not however engage with them in discussions in regard to "gay issues" as they are unable to accept my opinion of their abnormal behavior and immediately refer to homophobia.
To be honest I feel a degree of pity for them as they will never experience the intimate love of a good woman.
On the other hand it is not proper for public figures to make inappropriate remarks that may encourage discrimination . Equally it is not appropriate for public figures to dismiss other opinions as regards homosexuality and the gay agenda as homophobes, right wingers, fascists etc.
A bit of more tolerance and less outrage on both sides is required.

Dame_Enda

This term Homophobia is just another invention of the outraged gays who have used it to successfully to push an agenda and stifle rational discussion to a situation where now Homosexuality is considered as normal and it seems is often been promoted as preferable by some groups.
It is not. It may be natural for some, even preferable for other but a man who desire to have sex with another man has probably some mental problem regardless of what the association of Phys..... have stated. The very thought is abhorrent / distasteful to most normal men. (The same applies to women)
Should legislation / laws etc discriminate against them because of their illness/ weakness/ deviant behavior whatever ? , No .. and it does not do so now.
But should society have to listen to the tripe that they in some ways they are complete and normal human beings etc ….No. But they do and in doing so display a great deal of tolerance.
Meanwhile individuals can make their own choices as to how they associate or interact with homosexuals. This is their choice. If they wish as individuals to ignore them, shun them, stay away from them or embrace them that is their choice what they should not do is physically attack, threathen violence them or openly abuse them.
Every individual has a right to discriminate as regards his choice of friends acquaintances etc., and how he interacts with them. I cannot see our gay Toeshoch Leo becoming big mates with Donald as it appears he did with Mr. I am so cool and “ Liberal “ Trudeau.
I have relatives who are gay , I love them and treat them equally as with my normal ( straight) relatives. I will not however engage with them in discussions in regard to "gay issues" as they are unable to accept my opinion of their abnormal behavior and immediately refer to homophobia.
To be honest I feel a degree of pity for them as they will never experience the intimate love of a good woman.
On the other hand it is not proper for public figures to make inappropriate remarks that may encourage discrimination . Equally it is not appropriate for public figures to dismiss other opinions as regards homosexuality and the gay agenda as homophobes, right wingers, fascists etc.
A bit of more tolerance and less outrage on both sides is required.
Really? So do you think Alexander the Great and Julius Caesar had a mental problem, having founded 2 empires and being the greatest generals and statesmen in history?

benroe

It's not funny in any instance.

How is it funny if he was joking?
I don't know how to decide if a statement is a joke or not, I mean how does one judge if its told by a comedian?.