Celebrity gay stuff: is homophobia OK if you have a famous gay friend?

Wagmore

No but the US has a long history of homophobia in some states. Remember during the Bush admin there were referendums in many states banning gay marriage including in liberal Oregon and California. Hart may have been reflecting the times.
Homophobia is such a BS term. Phobia FFS? World needs to find a word that conveys something less extreme than connotations around phobia. I'm not gay but my sense it's way OTT and promotes division. Would be interested to hear a gay person's perspective. Do believe Hart should be canned if he publicly called someone a "fat fag."

Buchaill Dana

How long ago were these tweets?
Thats the point. All he has to do is say it was ages ago, comedy and I have changed. End of. But he is flip flopping and thats why he lost the oscars and its still rumbling.

A Voice

Reading the text of his "jokes" without having seen or heard them performed, they seem desperately unfunny. However, the issue is not one of quality. It seems that certain topics, certain targets are taboo. Remind you of anything?

Meanwhile at the Globes it was possible to spout utter nonsense about homosexuality but that was fine cos it was pro-gay, or anti-homophobic. As when Brad Simpson, the producer of The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, made a pathetic attempt to lead the anti-Trump resistance when accepting the trophy for best miniseries:

Gianni Versace was killed 20 years ago. He was one of the very few public figures who was out during a time of intense hate and fear. Those forces of hate and fear are still with us. They tell us we should be scared of people who are different than us. They tell us we should put walls around ourselves.
:roflmao:

The story of a gay fashion designer’s murder by a gay serial killer somehow strikes him as a lesson about the evils of homophobia and border enforcement. . .

And this "hatred" happened in . . . the dark days of the second Bill Clinton administration.

And Versace did have high walls around the massive Miami compound where he was murdered. He was killed on his own front steps by an out-of-town intruder, which doesn’t exactly seem like a parable about the benefits of open borders.

I'd prefer to listen to bad homophobic jokes that we can all despise than be be subjected to pompous, illogical lectures that distort the truth and conflate entirely different issues to make fatuous, dishonest, trendy points.

Betson

More nonsense from the permanently offended brigade , he made a few off colour comments on social nearly a decade ago , hardly the crime of te century. He has apologized and that should be it , move on. Let him host the Oscars and get the moral police to back off.

Buchaill Dana

More nonsense from the permanently offended brigade , he made a few off colour comments on social nearly a decade ago , hardly the crime of te century. He has apologized and that should be it , move on. Let him host the Oscars and get the moral police to back off.
Well he hasnt apologised, has he...

Betson

Well he hasnt apologised, has he...
Yes he has.

"I will say this, and I want to make this very clear," he said.

"Once again, Kevin Hart apologises for his remarks that hurt members of the LGBTQ community. I apologise."

Addressing the jokes that caused the controversy, he added: "These weren't words that I said to gay individuals. I didn't say these words to people, at the time, this was our dumb asses on Twitter going back and forth with each other.

"We thought it was okay to talk like that, because that's how we talked to one another. In that, you go, 'F**k! This is wrong now.'"
https://www.digitalspy.com/showbiz/a25785127/kevin-hart-oscars-2019-lgbtq-jokes-apology/

Roll_On

If some famous body called Oprah a 'fat n!gger' 10 years ago and was now considered to host the Oscars (not that that would even be considered) This guy would be leading the charge to get that person, not only barred from the Oscars but lynched. Fair is fair, he should not be allowed host the oscars.

Betson

If some famous body called Oprah a 'fat n!gger' 10 years ago and was now considered to host the Oscars (not that that would even be considered) This guy would be leading the charge to get that person, not only barred from the Oscars but lynched. Fair is fair, he should not be allowed host the oscars.
I have never heard Hart call anybody out over old comments before.

Lets be honest , some people in the LBGT community just like some feminists love having the persecution complex and are not content unless they playing the victim card over something or other.

This should be a nothing story.

benroe

What joke was there when Hart called another person a "fat fag"?

Hart has engaged in homophobic name-calling 100 times in tweets. There was no jokes involved - just infantile name calling.

As for his supposed on stage jokes where is the joke in saying:
"that if his son played with a doll house, he’d “break it over his head & say n my voice ‘stop that’s gay.’ ?
Is this not a self deprecating joke? isn't it funny because he is likening himself to a homophobe, would it be funny if he was an actual homophobe?

Buchaill Dana

Lets be honest , some people in the LBGT community just like some feminists love having the persecution complex and are not content unless they playing the victim card over something or other.

It could have been a nothing story but for how badly he managed the fallout.

benroe

A recent situation in the US has raised some awkward issues, including the question: "is homophobia OK if you have a famous gay friend?".

The situation arose after it was announced that Kevin Hart had been chosen to host the upcoming Oscar broadcast. Some people pointed out on social media that Hart had in the past made homophobic statements. In the past Hart has made homophobic remarks in standup comedy routines, in movies, in interviews and in tweets.

Once this all hit social media Hart "stepped down" from being the Oscar host.

However Hart's pal Ellen DeGeneres took to various outlets to defend Hart, saying that he should be given a second chance as he had apologized for his past homophobia remarks. DeGeneres pushed for Hart to be reinstated as Oscar host.

This led to a followup round of reaction on social media of 2 types:
1. people pointed out that Hart had never actually apologized for his past homophobia
2. DeGeneres was accused of double standards as she has in the past condemned at least 1 celebrity who made homophobic statements, with no similar request that the person be forgiven

For his part Hart appeared on DeGeneres's TV show and wallowed in self-pity, saying that he had apologized in the past (even though he hadn't) and didn't see why all of this needed to be brought up again. He even made the usual non-apology by saying that IF anyone was outraged by his past actions he was sorry about that. He just doesn't seem to get it.

He also went on to address those who have brought up his past homophobia again, saying that such people were just waiting to attack him at a point when it would cause him maximum damage.

The whole situation is very odd. Given the times that we live in, why was/is Hart being given a massive pass when it comes to his past behaviour, when other celebrities get hammered, and often lose their careers, for one incident?
A comedian said a few bad words in the past and has been rejected as the host of an A list gala consisting entirely of over indulged, self important progressive stooges, who's hurt?, who's offended?, who cares?.

Golah veNekhar

the secretary

Exactly.
This is bland old stuff. One would think there are more pressing matters for the gay community in Russia or the Middle East or Africa that they should be focusing on.

It was comedy around 10 yrs ago and he has said sorry.
Obviously those orchestrating this don't know of forgive and forget.

Beachcomber

And that's the really objectionable bit to me, it's very similar to what Spacey was doing using his sexuality as an excuse for his ongoing behaviour. They're not trolls, they're not haters, they're judging you for things you said. They're not making stuff up.
Well said.