Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pobal / Acht Ghaeilge Northern Ireland

Politics.ie Member Darren Mac an Phríora's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Pobal / Acht Ghaeilge Northern Ireland

I did an interview with the head of 'Pobal' the umbrella organisation for promoting Irish in Northern Ireland Janet Muller on the Irish programme on Nearfm today "Ar Muin na Muice". It is very long- 29 minutes. I raised a couple of different interesting things though- the idea that the aim that people should be allowed speak Irish in the courts should be put off until the medium/long-term to make an Irish Language Act in NI more acceptable to Unionists in the short-term; the merits of a rights-based Language Act; and the question of Nationalist-controlled councils bringing in the policy as in Galway City and Shannon that all new residential developments be named in Irish.

Near 90 fm Podcast

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Mac an Phríora View Post
    I did an interview with the head of 'Pobal' the umbrella organisation for promoting Irish in Northern Ireland Janet Muller on the Irish programme on Nearfm today "Ar Muin na Muice". It is very long- 29 minutes. I raised a couple of different interesting things though- the idea that the aim that people should be allowed speak Irish in the courts should be put off until the medium/long-term to make an Irish Language Act in NI more acceptable to Unionists in the short-term; the merits of a rights-based Language Act; and the question of Nationalist-controlled councils bringing in the policy as in Galway City and Shannon that all new residential developments be named in Irish.

Near 90 fm Podcast
    I'd be with you on those ideas. Newry and Mourne for a long time now have been promoting the idea of Irish names on developements although the occassional 'Pine grove' still slips through. I think you are right on the Gaelic in courts too, forcing such issues through will not gain respect or even new suport. There are other things happening which I find strange, for instance, the Camloch triathalon which is advertised as The Crooked Lake Triathalon, right beside signposts with stickers saying 'gaelige' on them, a bit odd and it organised by people who would claim to be republican. If we are translating existing irish names into english it sure weakens our case. Very hard to find company in Sth Armagh pubs speaking Gaelige and particularly speaking at a pace suitable for the not quite fluent. Go n'eirí and t'adh leat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdaly View Post
    I'd be with you on those ideas. Newry and Mourne for a long time now have been promoting the idea of Irish names on developements although the occassional 'Pine grove' still slips through.
    How many do you know of? I know of one personally.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How many do you know of? I know of one personally.

How many what? Pine groves type names or Irish names?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cois Locha, An tIúr/Newry

Irish names. I have just heard today that it is still illegal to name them in Irish in NI. I knew it was but I thought that that law might have been quietly changed in the last few years. This is the only one that I know of in NI. Someone told me that there is a couple more in the same area but I have never heard this confirmed and I haven't been there is a long, long time.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Irish names. I have just heard today that it is still illegal to name them in Irish in NI. I knew it was but I thought that that law might have been quietly changed in the last few years. This is the only one that I know of in NI. Someone told me that there is a couple more in the same area but I have never heard this confirmed and I haven't been there is a long, long time.
    Carraig Dú in Belleeks (Sth Armagh), Úircill ( from Uircill an Chreagain) Lismor just to name a few in Sth Armagh. If that law still exists I doubt if it has been implemented in many's a year or has it? Existing names like Camloch, Lisera, Aughandubh and so one would cause problems if such a law was being implemented.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How Sinn Fein have used it to exaggerate their republicanism is damaging to the language
    Dr Templar-Knight
    Phd in Human Bigotry and Libertarian Nonsense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Surely this would be against EU minority language legislation Darren? If not I wonder why not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Templarknight View Post
    How Sinn Fein have used it to exaggerate their republicanism is damaging to the language
    Well if everyone else would get off their respective political posteriors and do something about the language then Sinn Féin would not be able to exaggerate their republicanism. The H Blocks were the reason why so many republicans speak the language. I actually think it was a British plot to make all us Ullans folk speak freestate talk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast