Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryanair to increase baggage charges

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ryanair to increase baggage charges

Baggage charges for checked-in luggage will rise from October as the no-frills airline seeks to encourage people to take only carry-on bags and to raise revenue after cutting fares.
    Booking one bag will cost E15 if done at time of booking over the Internet and will cost E30 to check in at the airport.
    A second checked-in bag will cost E35 for the two or E70 at the airport.
    Both pieces of checked in luggage will each carry a 15kg allowance.
    BUSINESS WORLD - Ryanair to raise its baggage charges

Ryanair do untold damage to their arguments about increased passenger charges and departure taxes when they do this. Their campaign against the €10 departure tax just smacks of hypocrisy when they come out with this. Luckily I have never ever paid the baggage charge on a flight as I have always travelled with hand luggage since the baggage charges came in.

So going from €10 for 15kg and €15 per KG over so now if travel with 2 bags weighing 30kg you pay €235 to 2 bags up to 30kg for €50.

40kgs including hand luggage is a shed load of stuff.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ryanair to increase baggage charges

Leave her at home

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe View Post
    So going from €10 for 15kg and €15 per KG over so now if travel with 2 bags weighing 30kg you pay €235 to 2 bags up to 30kg for €50.

Was it not
    2 x €10 = €20 (30kg total), before
    2 x bags = €35 (30kg total) now ?

Honestly, it's obvious that Ryanair has a whole department dreaming up these crazy cost-saving schemes. Why don't they just sack the whole lot of them, announce that their cost structure is not going to change for 12 months, and just leave it at that?

There will be merriment and rejoicing among the travelling public if they do this, because people will know what they are getting and they won't complain (as much).

Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I don't use Ryanair anymore. I'll pay extra for a different company if I can. I'm sick of their rip-off merchant tactics and their staff who are irritable and unpolite due to their working conditions. They are a ********************e airline and Micko, while he may be a good business man, is an utter ********************er and a conceited little *************************.
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kerrynorth View Post

Ryanair do untold damage to their arguments about increased passenger charges and departure taxes when they do this. Their campaign against the €10 departure tax just smacks of hypocrisy when they come out with this. Luckily I have never ever paid the baggage charge on a flight as I have always travelled with hand luggage since the baggage charges came in.
    The market determines how much money Ryanair's customers are willing to pay to consume the seats that the airline offers. What they pay then splits into money that Ryanair gets and money that other stakeholders, including the tax authorities, get. If the tax authorites grab a bigger slice, then Ryanair's slice becomes correspondingly smaller. This directly reduces profit and turns profit-making services into loss-making services. So ultimately Ryanair's profit reduces and the number of services falls.

When assessing the impact of a €10 tax on the marketability of a Ryanair seat, remember that if, ante-tax, Ryanair (in their estimation) could have extracted another €10 for that seat, they would have already done it. The fact that they didn't charge that extra €10 tells you that they believed they would not have sold the seat at that price. So the introduction of the tax means that they will make less money, either by making less net revenue per seat, or by selling fewer seats, or (in practice) both.

From Ryanair's perspective, the proportion of the customer's money that goes to them is entirely different to the proportion that goes to the other stakeholders. So it is not hypocritical of them to increase fares to cover their costs/make a profit/reduce losses while at the same time complaining about other actors increasing their cut of the revenue.

All of these baggage charge-type things are just part of the fare structure. I like them because I always avoid all Ryanair's discertionary charges, so whoever does pay them is helping keep the basic fare down for everyone.

Simple
    Dont fly with em...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Excess baggage charge going to €20/kilo!

Weigh before you leave home.

Ryanair - News : Ryanair increases check-in bag allowance from 1 to 2 bags

Quote Originally Posted by orbit View Post

Was it not
    2 x €10 = €20 (30kg total), before
    2 x bags = €35 (30kg total) now ?

Honestly, it's obvious that Ryanair has a whole department dreaming up these crazy cost-saving schemes. Why don't they just sack the whole lot of them, announce that their cost structure is not going to change for 12 months, and just leave it at that?

There will be merriment and rejoicing among the travelling public if they do this, because people will know what they are getting and they won't complain (as much).
    Nope as max allowance was 15kg per passenger.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Shortly will be gone the same way AND for similar reasons as Sky Europe(remember the pikey made such fun of their leasing)
    Scum always ends up in the correct place

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast