Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Republican Action Against Drugs speaks again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Republican Action Against Drugs speaks again

In this exclusive interview with the 'Derry Journal', the leadership of Republican Action Against Drugs (RAAD) outlines its determination to "remove the scourge of drug dealing from within the local community."

Since its inception almost 12 months ago, the organisation is now – rightly or wrongly – considered by many to be at the cutting edge of eradicating drug dealing in the North West.

"Our objectives are very simple. We are determined to rid the local community of these individuals. We view them as career criminals whose activities have ruined the lives of so many young people in the past and we're not prepared to tolerate that any longer.”

"We have been involved in several operations, with active service units punishing those we know are involved in dealing drugs to vulnerable members of the community in Derry. Other dealers have been told to leave the city and never return - or suffer the consequences.”

The RAAD leadership also confirmed that some of its members have, in the past, been involved in the Provisional IRA. "Some of our members had been members of the IRA, others have not," said a member of the leadership.”

“Our amnesty remains in place, as it always has done. It's an avenue that has been taken by former dealers and that avenue remains open to those who genuinely wish to cease their activities. Our advice is to take that into consideration or, alternatively, suffer the consequences in the fullness of time."
    'Only way to eradicate drugs scourge is to remove the dealers' - Derry Today

As little sympathy as I have for drug dealers, I’m not certain what is the best action to combat the effects hard drugs have on communities.I realise that the provies had some success in Dublin in years gone by, but the effect was not widespread.
    Carrying on from the cannabis thread, would legalising harder drugs have a positive effect? I’m not looking for moralistic arguments about how wrong it is to shoot someone.
    Is it a case of if someone wants drugs, there isn’t much that can be done or can some people be prevented from ever accessing drugs in the first place if areas are cleared of drug dealers?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But who will eradicate us of the scourge of violent Republican vigilantes?
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yawn!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, I find it tedious that these dinosaurs still roam the North too.
    But somehow, when I yawn at these endless nonsensical 'press releases' from pissed up thugs, it doesn't make it onto the screen.
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkinner View Post
    Well, I find it tedious that these dinosaurs still roam the North too.
    But somehow, when I yawn at these endless nonsensical 'press releases' from pissed up thugs, it doesn't make it onto the screen.
    No cause; no effect.
    If the PSNI actually stopped using drug dealers as local ten pound touts then no one would be shooting them.
    Surprisingly, I think shooting drug dealers may actually be a little pointless as well. The problem stretches further than the dealer.
    Anyway, don't let debate get in the way of your anti-republican rant.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anti-vigilante rant, actually.
    I oppose this sort of hypocritical thuggery when the UDA do it too.
    Invariably, those involved are paramilitaries protecting their own market share. As it is with these gobsh!tes in Derry.
    Hope the cops put them all away.
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know its a short term answer but I would not be giving out if this group shot a few drug dealers in Dublin.
    SMASH THE NAMA REPUBLIC GET OUT AND PROTEST

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkinner View Post
    Invariably, those involved are paramilitaries protecting their own market share. As it is with these gobsh!tes in Derry.
    If true, that would be another reason to oppose shooting dealers, but I've yet to see any proof of this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by inchicore_republican View Post
    I know its a short term answer but I would not be giving out if this group shot a few drug dealers in Dublin.
    Is it even an answer at all?
    Limiting the supply may bring a little satisfaction to those who despise dealers, but does it have any real affect of decreasing the demand for drugs?
    For example, if the Bogside was cleared of dealers, would many of the people who would get involved in using drugs just not bother or would they simply go elsewhere?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mothball View Post
    Is it even an answer at all?
    Limiting the supply may bring a little satisfaction to those who despise dealers, but does it have any real affect of decreasing the demand for drugs?
    For example, if the Bogside was cleared of dealers, would many of the people who would get involved in using drugs just not bother or would they simply go elsewhere?
    Or, would dealers become more heavily armed to defend themselves?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast