Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Pettigo Martyrs

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tir Eoghain
    Posts
    119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Pettigo Martyrs

    The unveiling of a headstone in Clar graveyard will now take place in the new year as the cross won't be ready this month. The headstone for William Kearney and Bernard McCanny from Drumquin,Tyrone will be launched simultaneously with a booklet being researched and produced by Ederney republican Maurice McGrath. The two men were Ira vols aligned to the 2nd Northern Division IRA that tried to keep Pettigo a part of the new 26 counties state because part of it remains in Co. Fermanagh and is part of the Northern Ireland jurisdiction. They were buried outside Donegal Town in Clar and The Donegal Commemoration Committee will prepare the event in conjunction with republicans from West Tyrone. The cross is costing 2500 and the fundraising isn't complete. Those who would wish to donate can do so through a sf office or contact Jim McLaughlin in Donegal Town.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Newbie Ed Dantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    far from the madding crowd
    Posts
    95
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Isn't there a memorial already in Pettigo?

    Irish War of Independence Memorial.

    This memorial was erected in 1953 to commemorate four men who died in the invasion of Pettigo on June 4th, 1922. The names on the Memorial are Patrick Flood (Pettigo), William Kearney and Bernard Mc Canny (Drumquin) and William Deasley, (Dromore, Co. Tyrone). The Minister of Defence, Mr. Oscar Traynor made the oration at the unveiling of the statue and the event was attended by General Sean Mc Keown. After the unveiling ceremony in Pettigo on Saturday members of “C” Company, headed by their pipe band paraded to what was formerly the RIC barracks in Pettigo and observed 2 minutes silence in memory of the late Commandant P. Breen, who was in charge of taking the barracks in 1921. Afterwards the band played, “The Minstrel Boy,” which was Comdt. Breen’s favourite tune.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tir Eoghain
    Posts
    119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The graves in Clar have no headstone which is the aim of this thread not the actual monument in Pettigo itself which you are referring to.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weesix View Post
    The unveiling of a headstone in Clar graveyard will now take place in the new year as the cross won't be ready this month. The headstone for William Kearney and Bernard McCanny from Drumquin,Tyrone will be launched simultaneously with a booklet being researched and produced by Ederney republican Maurice McGrath. The two men were Ira vols aligned to the 2nd Northern Division IRA that tried to keep Pettigo a part of the new 26 counties state because part of it remains in Co. Fermanagh and is part of the Northern Ireland jurisdiction. They were buried outside Donegal Town in Clar and The Donegal Commemoration Committee will prepare the event in conjunction with republicans from West Tyrone. The cross is costing 2500 and the fundraising isn't complete. Those who would wish to donate can do so through a sf office or contact Jim McLaughlin in Donegal Town.
    donate me bollox let them go an rob a bank like they always do!!!!!

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Young Ned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stendec View Post
    donate me bollox let them go an rob a bank like they always do!!!!!
    Are you actually offering to donate your bollox? I think the idea of stones for the grave was a different sort, but your idea has merit.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Newbie Ed Dantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    far from the madding crowd
    Posts
    95
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weesix View Post
    The graves in Clar have no headstone which is the aim of this thread not the actual monument in Pettigo itself which you are referring to.
    So they are buried in Clar, not Pettigo. I pass Clar church every week but did not know about these men (I am not a Northerner). They seem to have been written out of the official history.

  7. #7

    Default

    why am i reminded of Milligans Puckoon by the op ?

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member old westie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    A holiday home overlooking the sea
    Posts
    314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Cool p o neil

    Quote Originally Posted by Stendec View Post
    donate me bollox let them go an rob a bank like they always do!!!!!
    Go easy on yourself no need to donate. P Doherty has kindly offered some of his 85,ooo sennad expenses.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Newbie brasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Belfast
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    another historical event hijacked by psf...

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Doire
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brasco View Post
    another historical event hijacked by psf...
    Well why havent any other parties done anything about it? It's not as though it will say 'Sinn Fein' on the headstones. Sinn Fein are simply giving the men the respect they deserve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •