Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: It is five years since Beslan.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default It is five years since Beslan.

I was put in mind of the anniversary by this link in the London Independent:

Russians mark 5 years since Beslan school tragedy - Europe, World - The Independent

Mostly we mark anniversaries to prevent recurrence and for many these days will be difficult, the fact that
    the short link alludes briefly to the ongoing violence in the Northern Caucausus has been published on this site by
    other members thus I decided to link to Anna Politkovskya, her murder, her role in the sieges as a negotiator
    and the ongoing murder trial which has been called a farce by members of her family and close friends.

Beslan school hostage crisis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anna Politkovskaya | TIME Europe Magazine | 60 Years of Heroes

BBC NEWS
    Last edited by Christine Murray; 1st September 2009 at 12:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Utter barbarism. Shows you how twisted people have become because of the ongoing violence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Beslan was so beyond the pale, that even the more hardened Islamic terrorists haven't dared try that one again.

Looking back now, i think its fair to say that it was Beslan affected my view of fundementalist Islam far far more than 9/11.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is a vast Politkovskaya archive available online for those who want to read about Chechyna. It is almost three
    years since her murder in Moscow.

A small corner of hell: dispatches ... - Google Books

Unfortunately some of the articles published in 2007 have gone out of copyright including a very good Guardian one, thus :

Chechnya: Articles by Anna Politkovskaya

AFP : http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...uA1UJRv2z1F8Mw

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The truth of this event has not come out in my opinion. The terrorists committed a barbaric attrocity, but there is evidence that some of the deaths - perhaps even most - were caused by the incompetence of the Russian special forces on the day, including allegations that a tank fired at the school. Don't forget how the Moscow theatre siege was ended by pumping poison gas into the cinema which ended up killing over 200 people. One thing I will say is that what happened to the Russian civilians - especially children - was a monstrous and evil crime that must be condemned. At the same time, there is a tendency to forget how this started, and the possibly hundreds of thousands of Chechens killed since 1994 as a result of Moscow's obsession with denying self-determination to peoples in the North Caucasus like the Chechens and the Ingush who have only been under the Russian yoke since the 1850's. If a similar standard were applied to the Irish i.e. that you should remain part of a state based on being part of it for a certain length of time, then Ireland would still be under British rule. As with NI, political negotiations are needed. Noone outside of the Russophile community truly believes that Chechnya's referendum on remaining part of Russia was free or nor, nor that the elections there were. At the same time, the EU needs good relations with Russia while we are dependent on them for our energy needs. But we should aim to reduce that dependence, so that principle won't have to be sacrificed on the altar of realpolitic indefinitely.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

More info on the handling of the Norde-Est siege has been available than that of the Beslan one most definitely.
    The geographic position of Beslan has also been neglected in terms of it's political importance in the Northern Caucausus.

Nord-Est :Moscow theater hostage crisis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Recent Spiegel Article: Russia's Sept. 11: Five Years on, Beslan's Survivors Feel Forsaken - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interviews with survivor children on BBC Newsnight : BBC NEWS | Programmes | Newsnight | The children of Beslan five years on

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach View Post
    The truth of this event has not come out in my opinion. The terrorists committed a barbaric attrocity, but there is evidence that some of the deaths - perhaps even most - were caused by the incompetence of the Russian special forces on the day, including allegations that a tank fired at the school. Don't forget how the Moscow theatre siege was ended by pumping poison gas into the cinema which ended up killing over 200 people. One thing I will say is that what happened to the Russian civilians - especially children - was a monstrous and evil crime that must be condemned. At the same time, there is a tendency to forget how this started, and the possibly hundreds of thousands of Chechens killed since 1994 as a result of Moscow's obsession with denying self-determination to peoples in the North Caucasus like the Chechens and the Ingush who have only been under the Russian yoke since the 1850's. If a similar standard were applied to the Irish i.e. that you should remain part of a state based on being part of it for a certain length of time, then Ireland would still be under British rule. As with NI, political negotiations are needed. Noone outside of the Russophile community truly believes that Chechnya's referendum on remaining part of Russia was free or nor, nor that the elections there were. At the same time, the EU needs good relations with Russia while we are dependent on them for our energy needs. But we should aim to reduce that dependence, so that principle won't have to be sacrificed on the altar of realpolitic indefinitely.

+1

the russians have inflicted more than thier fair share of savagery on the chechens

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
    +1

the russians have inflicted more than thier fair share of savagery on the chechens
    doesnt justify Beslan though. you're getting trapped in "moral relativism"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast