Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish Army Planned to Attack Belfast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Irish Army Planned to Attack Belfast

Irish army planned to attack Belfast - Local & National, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

In the wake of Bloody Sunday. Interesting from a historical perspective. I was completely surprised by this, as I would've thought the idea unthinkable from the Republic's point of view (militarily speaking).

Had anyone heard of this before? Hard to imagine how such a thing would've ended. I suppose the strategy would've been to get international observers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the name "Exercise Armageddon" gives an indication that this was only a feasibility study and was only enviaged as an absolute last resort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    I think the name "Exercise Armageddon" gives an indication that this was only a feasibility study and was only enviaged as an absolute last resort.
    I think the article makes that clear enough.. The interesting thing is that there was enough will to actually plan it; as I said in the original post, I thought the Republic's stance was that it could do nothing.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Young Ned View Post
    Irish army planned to attack Belfast - Local & National, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

In the wake of Bloody Sunday. Interesting from a historical perspective. I was completely surprised by this, as I would've thought the idea unthinkable from the Republic's point of view (militarily speaking).

Had anyone heard of this before? Hard to imagine how such a thing would've ended. I suppose the strategy would've been to get international observers?
    Sounds more like contingency military planning without any serious political intent. Although as an impressionable 17 yr old in 1969 I was sure we were all going to be drafted - they´re was a kind of vague expectation that something like this might happen.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The government probably asked a few Irish Army officers to make a feasibility study based on the puny military resources available.
    There was never any serious possibility of Ireland intervening in Northern Ireland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blackcastle86 View Post
    The government probably asked a few Irish Army officers to make a feasibility study based on the puny military resources available.
    There was never any serious possibility of Ireland intervening in Northern Ireland.
    this is was discussed on newstalk this afternoon - the plan was a bone thrown by Lynch to the headbangers (Blaney, Haughey)

but also noted in the plan was the British response - which would be "punitive"

thats military jargon for "they would have bombed the sh!t out of the Republic"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by netron View Post
    this is was discussed on newstalk this afternoon - the plan was a bone thrown by Lynch to the headbangers (Blaney, Haughey)

but also noted in the plan was the British response - which would be "punitive"

thats military jargon for "they would have bombed the sh!t out of the Republic"
    Without a doubt. Still, I wonder what the fallout would've been if the operation had gone through (which apparently was just planning based on the words of an Taoiseach). The UK would've been in the position of bombing a small, relative defenseless country, because they had moved in troops to protect people that same army had just murdered in the streets.

hard to imagine how that would've played in America, say. It wouldn't have looked good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The comment's after that Telegraph article really are cringe inducing.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Without a doubt. Still, I wonder what the fallout would've been if the operation had gone through (which apparently was just planning based on the words of an Taoiseach). The UK would've been in the position of bombing a small, relative defenseless country, because they had moved in troops to protect people that same army had just murdered in the streets.
    hard to imagine how that would've played in America, say. It wouldn't have looked good.
    A few more posts like this Ned and you´ll have us all believing it actually happened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

difficult to say - remember that this was 1969 and America was tied up in Vietnam...

i guess they would have stayed out of it...

HOWEVER - the Yanks were highly annoyed with Harold Wilson not agreeing to send British troops ( even the Aussies sent forces) , so this might have been an opportunity to slap the Brits around...

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast