Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Former Prime Minister charged with corruption

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Former Prime Minister charged with corruption

Not here of course...

Former Israeli PM Ehud Olmert has been indicted on three charges of corrupt and/or fraudulent offences:

Mr Olmert is the first former prime minister in Israeli history to face criminal charges, the office said.
    Mr Olmert's personal secretary, Shula Zaken, has also been charged with corruption.
    One of the charges against Mr Olmert is that he accepted cash envelopes from US businessman Morris Talansky with sums amounting to hundreds of thousands of dollars.
    Mr Olmert admits taking money, but insists the funds were legal donations to help his campaigns for re-election as mayor of Jerusalem and for the leadership of the Likud, his former party.
    In the second case, Mr Olmert is accused of duplicating funding for his trips abroad.
    Police have said they suspect the "considerable sums" that remained after the travel expenses were paid for were transferred by Mr Olmert to a special account his travel agency administered for him.
    The third case involves alleged conflict of interest. Officials have alleged Mr Olmert arranged investment opportunities for a friend, Uri Messner, while he was industry minister.
    BBC NEWS | Middle East | Former Israeli PM Olmert charged

Whereas if it had been here we'd have waited another decade before it'd be decided 'it was all a long time ago, not enough evidence', etc....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I doubt it is even a crime here as we expect our politicians to feather their own nests.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is he the pervert who tried to sexually assault young women or was that another top member of the Israeli government?
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkinner View Post
    Is he the pervert who tried to sexually assault young women or was that another top member of the Israeli government?
    Here, we hardly have the right to criticise the integrity of another country's governments. We have given the FFers the second longest tenure in Europe. At least the Swede's had the cop to kick the Social Democrats out last election...
    Economic Left/Right: 0.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm only asking. It's a fair question.
    Furthermore, I think we do have the right to criticise the integrity of any country's government where there is suspicion or evidence of corruption, actually.
    I didn't give FF anything, and even if I had, it still would not function to preclude me from asking hard questions about corrupt politicians elsewhere.
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkinner View Post
    I'm only asking. It's a fair question.
    Furthermore, I think we do have the right to criticise the integrity of any country's government where there is suspicion or evidence of corruption, actually.
    I didn't give FF anything, and even if I had, it still would not function to preclude me from asking hard questions about corrupt politicians elsewhere.
    I think it was the Israeli president JC...

BBC NEWS | Middle East | Israel president sex case delayed

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hard to keep track of all these corrupt Israelis.
    Ta for clarifying, doc.
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Couldnt happen here

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mr Olmert admits taking money, but insists the funds were legal donations to help his campaigns for re-election as mayor of Jerusalem and for the leadership of the Likud, his former party.
    זה היה התרומה הפוליטית לשימוש אישי שלי *

*"it was a political donation for my personal use"

(thanks to online translator)
    “A healthy social life is found only, when in the mirror of each soul the whole community finds its reflection, and when in the whole community the virtue of each one is living” R. Steiner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    I doubt it is even a crime here as we expect our politicians to feather their own nests.
    Indeed, the Israeli's do seem to hold their politicans to a higher standards, although to be fair that isn't saying much.

On top of that you don't see them pissing around with tribunals either.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast