Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the clocks change

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Should the clocks change

The clocks went back an hour on Sunday Morning 29th October and the dark evenings are upon us.
    An interesting point is, should we bother changing the clocks at all during the year. Are the evenings long enough as it is in the Summer? Parents voicing concerns over their children walking home from school in the dusk/dark may too be a valid concern. Could there be a small connection to crime too with the shorter days. But then, conversely, not changing the clocks may mean it doesn't get bright early enough in the mornings.
    What do ye think.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I remember the British were contemplating not changing the clocks this time last year. I am sure that changing the time can have a big bearing on driving also. Especially after 4.30 when people are commuting home from work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Communication across time zones is difficult enough at the moment. I've worked in many countries and with people based in many countries and so much time is wasted on miscalculations of how far ahead/behind a country is. I've worked near the equator where the clocks don't change and in the southern hemisphere where the time difference with home can vary between 3 to 4 to 5 hours due to unsyncronised clock changes. Personally I would prefer us to be on central european time, but keep standard clock changes i.e. i prefer a bright evening to a bright morning.
    I stand with two thousand years of darkness and bafflement and hunger behind me... and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet-assembled philosophy. Evil Vicar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

An old thread but a right up to date question. Are the clocks, yet again, going to go back this year? There was a lot of talk when they went forward last March that that would be the last time the nonsense of kidding ourselves by changing our clocks back or forward an hour would happen.

Then it seems, we all forget about it until the next time a change is due.

I say keep the summer time all year round. I don't want to see the clocks being turned back an hour. I would much prefer the longer hours of daylight to be in the evenings. I detest darkness falling at half past four in the afternoon by the end of November. It is so depressing.

It would be much better to start the fresh new day in darkness so that we could watch the sun rise on the day.

So, what's happening this year? Anybody know?

BECAUSE SOME OF US DON'T THINK ABOUT FUTURE GENERATIONS, THEY WILL NEVER FORGET US! https://www.vimeo.com/8668733 'Pipe Down' Corrib gas documentary 2009

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=junius;4334913]An old thread but a right up to date question. Are the clocks, yet again, going to go back this year? There was a lot of talk when they went forward last March that that would be the last time the nonsense of kidding ourselves by changing our clocks back or forward an hour would happen.

Then it seems, we all forget about it until the next time a change is due.

I say keep the summer time all year round. I don't want to see the clocks being turned back an hour. I would much prefer the longer hours of daylight to be in the evenings. I detest darkness falling at half past four in the afternoon by the end of November. It is so depressing.

It would be much better to start the fresh new day in darkness so that we could watch the sun rise on the day.

So, what's happening this year? Anybody know?

Ah no man i look forward to the clocks going back, the dark evening are great if your indoors with heat and good food, thats what the autumn/winter is all about

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No point discussing the change in Ireland. If the English change, then we will follow suit. If they don't we won't.

If the English adopted Siberian time, we would too.

Simples.

But very sad.

D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In 1907 an Englishman, William Willett, campaigned to advance clocks by 80 minutes. He proposed four moves of 20 minutes at the beginning of the spring and summer months, and to return to Greenwich Mean Time in a similar manner in the autumn. The following year, the House of Commons rejected a Bill to advance the clocks by one hour during the spring and summer months.
    Summer time was first defined in an Act of Parliament in 1916. The clocks were moved one hour ahead of GMT from the spring to the autumn.
    During the Second World War, double summer time (two hours in advance of GMT) was introduced, lasting until July 1945.
    British Summer Time ends: clocks go back : Directgov - Newsroom

Googled the question. It seems despite all the discussion I recollect from earlier in the year, that nothing has changed. The crazy psychological mind-tricks are set to continue and we'll all be expected to turn our clocks back and turn our clocks forward and back and forward...........into infinity!
    BECAUSE SOME OF US DON'T THINK ABOUT FUTURE GENERATIONS, THEY WILL NEVER FORGET US! https://www.vimeo.com/8668733 'Pipe Down' Corrib gas documentary 2009

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DuineEile View Post
    No point discussing the change in Ireland. If the English change, then we will follow suit. If they don't we won't.

If the English adopted Siberian time, we would too.

Simples.

But very sad.

D
    While personally I sometimes lament the "if England jumped out the window so would we" mentality this is one area where we actually should,imagine the chaos with the north if we put the clocks back and they didn't or vice verse.For the record I really hope that we come to our senses and don't put the clocks back this time,a redundant idea in this day and age Imo,can't see them not doing so unfortunately though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'd like to change the clocks back to when this thread was started and put a bullet through a certain Anglo chairman.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The bi-annual clock change is one of the major pains in the backside for myself as I work shift. If you finish at 10pm and start the following morning at 5am losing an hour is a pain. The biggest pain in the backside is when your work colleges don't show up on time because they didn't reseal the change. Incidentally they never show up an hour early when the clocks go back

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast