Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruth Dudley Edwards, refreshing honesty.

Politics.ie Member Pat Mc Larnon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ruth Dudley Edwards, refreshing honesty.

I wasn't too sure how I should feel about the death of American Senator Edward Kennedy. At times his interventions in Irish affairs were timely and on other occasions he seemed to be misinformed and badly briefed. Though others aren't so reticent in giving their opinions.
    However this piece on Kennedy by Ruth Dudley Edwards was unwittingly refreshing in its honesty, not of Kennedy, but of the writer herself.

To start off the writer does admit that her piece is 'unsavoury', not much argument there. Though why this should be different from any of her other diatribes is best left for another day.
    In her criticism of Kennedy she takes umbrage at his pro nationalist opinions as not being helpful to British interests, along the way writing of 'we' to proclaim her transparent forelock tugging to all things British.
    A refreshing bit of honesty from Edwards, on the one hand admitting to being unsavoury and doing away with the pretence that she is anything other than a Britsh stooge.

Speaking of which i haven't seen anything as unsavoury since a friend of hers tied himself up in knots (or had himself tied up) with a couple of men he had only just met at a bar. All while under her roof. Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells would be choking on her scones and fresh cream, as Ruth and other 'Brits' would put it.
    Last edited by Pat Mc Larnon; 28th August 2009 at 11:55 AM.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you prefer Gerry Adams piece in yesterday's Guardian no doubt
    Google Reader great for following blogs

http://libertyireland.wordpress.com

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well she got out of bed the wrong side didn't she?
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Smile

I think the term for this screed is " boilerplate". Just fill in any Irish name and post it off and bingo... the cheque's in the post. If she could even be inventive with her invective I'd be more inclined to forgive it, but it's third rate.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

she is a unionist but i often agree with her articles on issues to do with multi culturalism in the uk etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In criticising Jean Kennedy Smith tenure as US ambassador to Ireland as being too pro-nationalist, she says.

Ireland would tellingly reward her with honorary citizenship
    It has long been obvious that RDE puts the interests of Britain above the interests of Ireland and fair enough if that's where her loyalty lies. But everything she writes should be read in that context and no Irish paper should employ her.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
    she is a unionist but i often agree with her articles on issues to do with multi culturalism in the uk etc
    So, if I get you right, sectarianism is bad but racism is ok ?

Did I miss anything?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

She's clearly on the same mental path to insanity that Conor Cruise O'Brien trod along.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ruth dudley edwards calling someone else mis informed about ireland....oh the irony
    "Sometimes the best thing a government can do is simply get out of the way"-Vince Cable

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Mc Larnon View Post
    I wasn't too sure how I should feel about the death of American Senator Edward Kennedy. At times his interventions in Irish affairs were timely and on other occasions he seemed to be misinformed and badly briefed. Though others aren't so reticent in giving their opinions.
    However this piece on Kennedy by Ruth Dudley Edwards was unwittingly refreshing in its honesty, not of Kennedy, but of the writer herself.

To start off the writer does admit that her piece is 'unsavoury', not much argument there. Though why this should be different from any of her other diatribes is best left for another day.
    In her criticism of Kennedy she takes umbrage at his pro nationalist opinions as not being helpful to British interests, along the way writing of 'we' to proclaim her transparent forelock tugging to all things British.
    A refreshing bit of honesty from Edwards, on the one hand admitting to being unsavoury and doing away with the pretence that she is anything other than a Britsh stooge.

Speaking of which i haven't seen anything as unsavoury since a friend of hers tied himself up in knots (or had himself tied up) with a couple of men he had only just met at a bar. All while under her roof. Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells would be choking on her scones and fresh cream, as Ruth and other 'Brits' would put it.

I will take your word for what she says, along with harris I can no longer bare reading this nonsense that passes for intelligent comment.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast