Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers union seeks to control lives of members

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Teachers union seeks to control lives of members

You must do as we say, regardless of your rights as a person,

Teachers ordered to walk out of classes - Latest News, Education - Independent.ie

"It tells teachers in nearly 300 post- primary schools that "deviations from the directive will not be tolerated".

A new low, even by their standards?

TUI members have been told they face disciplinary action if they fail to implement it.

"Consideration will be given to the bringing of charges of unworthy conduct," says general secretary Peter MacMenamin.
    A pity they wouldn't allow a charge of 'unworthy conduct' even to be investigated in relation to poor and underperforming teachers, oh the hypocrisy.
    Google Reader great for following blogs

http://libertyireland.wordpress.com

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cd27 View Post

Teachers ordered to walk out of classes - Latest News, Education - Independent.ie

A pity they wouldn't allow a charge of 'unworthy conduct' even to be investigated in relation to poor and underperforming teachers, oh the hypocrisy.

You're kind of crazy aren't you? Being in a union isn't the same as living under a facist dictatorship no matter how often you compare the situtations.

Neither, more generally, is partaking in society as a citizen. You're like a little kid "you can't make me do that, you're not the boss of me"...Sometimes grown-ups do have to do things they don't like in order to achieve a greater good. This is not facism despite your many threads to the contrary.
    I have opinions of my own - strong opinions - but I don't always agree with them. - George Bush

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

why are they issuing dictats then?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Union is obviously reaffirming its "authority" over union members with a view to more militant action when An Bord Snip recommendations are implemented.

I foresee division and acrimony amongst teachers in the future, particularly when public sector net salaries are further slashed to balance the books.

It's a very clear ban on extra-curricular activities... I can see a high level of non-compliance with that ban. "The school tour to Germany is actually a core part of the German curriculum, Comrade!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is the union refusing to allow principles flexibility in relation to dealing with education cuts.

They are obviously trying to start a row leading to further action.

Whats really low is their targeting of their own members to acheive this aim.
    I believe that children are the future

Unless we stop them now.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

targeting of the children next?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cd27 View Post

Well you can always leave the union or join another if its policy is objectionable to you. They either have a bottom line or they dont. Do you suggest they continue to teach no matter how bad the situation gets?

Its a has line they are taking and I dont know all the ins and outs of the situation, but at some point people will have to put the foot down and refuse to accept further erosion of key services. The government is clearly working on the basis of cut til it hurts. make sure they know it hurts.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by code twinkle View Post
    You're kind of crazy aren't you? Being in a union isn't the same as living under a facist dictatorship no matter how often you compare the situtations.
    But did this ever go to a vote?

I'm guessing the analogy you are making is that this is like a strike picket where somebody passes the picket line. I'm not an expert on the teachers' unions but I don't recall any vote in the last few months when the desperate decline in the State's finances has become clear.

birthday

Do the TUI realise that the country is in a very serious situation?

heading towards 500,000 unemployed, 500 applicants for each taching job!
    Just like FF and their cronies they are accustomed to a certain level of entitlement.
    The reality is that we are short €20 billion and that either class sizes will go up a bit or their salaries will go down a little.
    First it was all the childish nonsense about swine flu now this.
    It could quite reasonably be argued that the reason class sizes are what they are is that all the money has been spent on their salaries and pensions.
    As far as I can see the sooner they have to face irate parents on the streets outside schools the better!
    I suspect however that, cute hoors that they are, that the industrial action will be of a type type that manages to avoid any contact with parents.

What does a charge of 'unworthy conduct' detail... Do the other teachers just stop talking to them?

Isnt that Bully??

Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast