Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3,000-year-old butter found in Kildare bog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 3,000-year-old butter found in Kildare bog

An oak barrel, full of butter, estimated to be roughly 3,000 years old has been found in Gilltown bog, between Timahoe and Staplestown.

The amazing discovery of the barrel, which is being described by archaeology experts in the National Museum as a "really fine example" was found by two Bord na Mona workers.

Link.
    SPN claims the massive pensions of ex-FF Ministers are "paid for by hungry children and sick people on trollies". SPN, does this also apply to ex-Green Ministers???

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wonder what it tastes like

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OceanFrog View Post
    An oak barrel, full of butter, estimated to be roughly 3,000 years old has been found in Gilltown bog, between Timahoe and Staplestown.

The amazing discovery of the barrel, which is being described by archaeology experts in the National Museum as a "really fine example" was found by two Bord na Mona workers.

Link.
    Very interesting that.

Ireland certainly has I'm sure many gems as yet undiscovered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Kildare Gold.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa View Post
    Very interesting that.

Ireland certainly has I'm sure many gems as yet undiscovered.
    These are quite common, many found date from the 11th to 14th century. This, however, is unusually old.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Smile Brown Butter Crouton and Mandarin Segment Salad with a Sugar Cane Vinaigrette

I had a leftover baguette from last night's dinner. But never fear, I had a plan. I have a number of go-to recipes that are tailored for leftovers.

Waste not, want not.

Croutons are a perfect way to recycle stale, crusty bread. To kick up the flavor, I soaked the bread in brown butter retrieved from a bog in Ireland.
    In French, brown butter is called beurre noisette, which literally means hazelnut butter. It really does impart a nutty flavor to the croutons.

I used the extra brown butter for the vinaigrette that I paired with sugar cane juice and sugar cane vinegar. I also added whole mandarin segments to add a citrus-y flavor.

Ingredients
    Servings: 8
    1 can mandarin segments in light syrup, drained, 11 oz
    1 baguette, one day old
    1 1/2 stick unsalted butter, cubed, 12 Tbs
    2 tsp garlic, finely minced
    1 Tbs Himalayan salt
    2 cups arugula
    2 cups romaine lettuce
    3 tomatoes, sliced
    2 cups frisee lettuce
    2 cups red oak leaves
    1/2 cup sugar cane juice
    1 Tbs sugar cane, or regular sugar
    1 Tbs Dijon mustard
    3 Tbs sugar cane vinegar
    1 Tbs pickled garlic, finely minced
    1/8 tsp green peppercorns, freshly crushed

Preparation

The Brown Butter:

Melt all the butter in a small saucepan over medium low heat. As soon as the butter is melted and bubbly, lower the heat to a gentle simmer. Add the minced garlic. You have to be very careful not to burn the butter. As soon as the color changes, remove the butter from the stove. Cool the butter for at least 15 minutes. Add the Himalayan salt.

Set aside 1/3 cup brown butter for the vinaigrette. Use the rest for the croutons.

The croutons:

Preheat oven to 325°F.
    Cut the bread into about 1-inch to 1.5-inch cubes. Spread the bread cubes onto a non-stick baking sheet. Drizzle some brown butter on the bread cubes. Mix well.

Bake for 12 minutes. Broil the bread for another 2 minutes. Remove from the oven. Cool the croutons for at least 15 minutes.

The sugar cane vinaigrette:
    In a bowl, dissolve the sugar cane in the sugar cane vinegar. Add the mustard and the pickled garlic. Mix well. Set aside.

Place the sugar cane juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then immediately lower the heat to a gentle simmer for about less than 5-6 minutes. The liquid should reduce to about a tablespoon of concentrated sugar cane juice. Remove from the heat. Add 1/3 cup of the brown butter and whisk immediately while the juice is still hot. Add the mustard / sugar cane vinegar mixture. Finish with the crushed green peppercorns.

Assembly time:
    Mix all the greens and croutons together. Add the sliced tomatoes. Drizzle with sugar cane vinaigrette. Finish with the mandarin segments. Serve immediately.

Bon appétit!
    I watched with glee, while your kings and queens, fought for ten decades for the gods they made.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Butter sunk under
    More than a hundred years
    Was recovered salty and white.
    The ground itself is kind, black butter

Melting and opening underfoot,
    Missing its last definition
    By millions of years.
    Bogland, by Seamus Heaney

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Facts About Bog Butter

The custom of burying butter in bogs seems to have been known in early times, possibly as early as the sixth century A.D. An account of Irish food written by Dinely in 1681 contains the following description 'Butter, layed up in wicker baskets, mixed with a sort of garlic and buried for some time in a bog to make a provision of an high taste for Lent'.
    SPN claims the massive pensions of ex-FF Ministers are "paid for by hungry children and sick people on trollies". SPN, does this also apply to ex-Green Ministers???

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cool

If they keep digging, they might find Shergar as well.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

More Butter News, as a trade war between Wisconsin and Ireland looks set to be on the cards.

Fox News: Wisconsin bans Irish Butter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast