Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 221

Thread: Dawkins to take on Islam

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member TradCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Dawkins to take on Islam

    Professor Richard Dawkins is ready to confront Islam on the question of evolution.

    Islamic fundamentalists have already shown their willingness to oppose literature with violence. Dare they oppose science in the same way?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member netron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    225
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TradCat View Post
    Professor Richard Dawkins is ready to confront Islam on the question of evolution.

    Islamic fundamentalists have already shown their willingness to oppose literature with violence. Dare they oppose science in the same way?
    doubtful.
    because what Dawkins is saying isnt insulting to Islam.

    The counter argument will probably involve Islamic scholars pointing out that "algebra" is an Arabic word. Not to mention the huge amount of stars with Arabic names

    ICOP: Arabic Star Names

    Science and Islam go back a long way - thats not to excuse the current crop of lunatics. But i get the feeling that Islam and science just dont have the clash that Christianity v Science has.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,015
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Religion is a joke imo.

    It is also a control mechanism. People think they are enlightened because they find god or whatever nonesense they rabbit on about. In reality, these people are trapped and I pitty them. I love being free, I love butterflies in my tummy which I have always had naturally! God? God me hole!

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Always this underlying assumption that religion is at odds with science.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wakeupcall View Post
    Religion is a joke imo.
    Great contribution.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Catalpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Dublin West
    Posts
    10,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Best News I've heard in years!

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,015
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Factorem View Post
    Great contribution.
    Quote the entire post or feel some wrath!

  8. #8
    Moderator Cato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ithaca
    Posts
    20,762
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Factorem View Post
    Always this underlying assumption that religion is at odds with science.
    Great contribution. I love the way it's backed up with reasoned argument and evidence; just like religion...

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    Great contribution. I love the way it's backed up with reasoned argument and evidence; just like religion...
    Funny how the Vatican have their own team of expert scientists on hand to advise them on the latest happenings in the scientific world. Many priests have advanced degrees in science and many top professors are Catholics. Of course people like you claim there must be some rupture in Catholic thought for this to be the case.

    Dawkins is no match for the might of the Vatican. He should focus his efforts on what he's good at: selling books at airports.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,015
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Factorem View Post
    Funny how the Vatican have their own team of expert scientists on hand to advise them on the latest happenings in the scientific world. Many priests have advanced degrees in science and many top professors are Catholics. Of course people like you claim there must be some rupture in Catholic thought for this to be the case.

    Dawkins is no match for the might of the Vatican. He should focus his efforts on what he's good at: selling books at airports.
    http://www.politics.ie/current-affai...eligulous.html

    Watch that video Factorem. Even the top priests in the vatican who are 'scientists' admit they are at odds with their own religion most of the time.

    Wakey wakey!

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •