Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Opera/Opera singer fans in??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Any Opera/Opera singer fans in??

Oh yes, I know, one is an old fart at an early stage. Just thought that I would share, though, a youtube video of my 3rd favorite baritone of all time (tenors are for girls). Robert Merrill. Here he sings from Rodgers & Hamerstein to Gunuod. Fantastic singing, in any event. The richness of his voice, to all you non philistines, is absolutely spectacular.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FauzdeUGeM&feature=rec-HM-r2]YouTube - Robert Merrill sings Rodgers & Gounod !!!!![/ame]
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Smile

And now for the female voice.
    The wonderful Margaret Burke-Sheridan.
    One of the last opera singers to whom the libretto actually meant something.
    Most of the new divas could as well be singing the yellow pages.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNeQT5B-O5I&feature=related]YouTube - When he who adores thee.- Margaret Burke-Sheridan[/ame]

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Excellent, BTW I am lookin forward to hearing Plácido Domingo once a fabulous tenor (now changing his singing to baritone roles) as he ages

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jussi Bjorling and Robert Merrill, the best version IMO

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdb94HbyRko]YouTube - Jussi Björling sings Pearl Fishers Duet with Robert Merrill[/ame]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Excellent, BTW I am lookin forward to hearing Plácido Domingo once a fabulous tenor (now changing his singing to baritone roles) as he ages
    Domingo was pleasant in his heyday, he was never "excellent" IMO. Pavarotti in the 60's and 70's, up to the early eighties, was absolutely STUNNING. He should have stopped singing about 15 years before he did though.
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I've been known to attend an opera for two. Saw Aida in Bregenz.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any Opera/Opera singer fans in??

Yeah, that song 'Barcelona' ain't bad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by if not why not View Post
    Any Opera/Opera singer fans in??

Yeah, that song 'Barcelona' ain't bad
    Ever hear of the song, "your banned"? You might find it entertaining.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    I've been known to attend an opera for two. Saw Aida in Bregenz.
    You remember with who? As in, who starred, not which slapper you were with.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmQoy8UOIkg&feature=fvste2]YouTube - Montserrat Caballé - Barcelona: Stereo[/ame]

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast