Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people commit suicide?

Default Why do people commit suicide?

Kieran Keohane's book Collision Cultures looks at the issue of suicide to a certain extent. He highlights the emergence of what he terms 'rurban' (rural and urban) communities - Middleton being a prime example - and 'glocal' contexts, where the local and global collide in a most confusing manner.

He highlights too that suicide epidemics have always been a feature of societies going through rapid change, such as at the time of the Industrial Revolution in England. The sense of 'limitlessness' experienced by young people entering this new society leads to a state of anomie, of listlessness, of what Durkheim called "a state of unbridled selfishness". The breakdown of mechanical solidarity and its replacement by organic solidarity, allied with changing belief systems (the collapse of traditional institutions which offered authority and moral boundaries such as the Church, for example), render young people lost, and cut them adrift from older potential role-models.

This is a rather crude synthesis of the sociological explanation currently doing the rounds at UCC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Why do people commit suicide?

Quote Originally Posted by asteroid
    Kieran Keohane's book Collision Cultures looks at the issue of suicide to a certain extent. He highlights the emergence of what he terms 'rurban' (rural and urban) communities - Middleton being a prime example - and 'glocal' contexts, where the local and global collide in a most confusing manner.

He highlights too that suicide epidemics have always been a feature of societies going through rapid change, such as at the time of the Industrial Revolution in England. The sense of 'limitlessness' experienced by young people entering this new society leads to a state of anomie, of listlessness, of what Durkheim called "a state of unbridled selfishness". The breakdown of mechanical solidarity and its replacement by organic solidarity, allied with changing belief systems (the collapse of traditional institutions which offered authority and moral boundaries such as the Church, for example), render young people lost, and cut them adrift from older potential role-models.

This is a rather crude synthesis of the sociological explanation currently doing the rounds at UCC.
    Interesting to an extent but ..... a load of old codswallop really.

Suicide is not a new phenomonen and is somewhat indiscriminate.

"Glocal" "Rurban"
    It is clear our nation is reliant upon big foreign oil. More and more of our imports come from overseas."

George W. Bush, Beaverton, Ore., Sep. 25, 2000

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why do people commit suicide?

Janey Mac, what a question. If we knew, then there might not be as many.

I'm sure there must be ten times as many reasons for suicide as there are suicides.

I can't help thinking that if equality were a norm, suicide would be less likely.
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when creating them

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Spot on, David. And you might specifically state, equality for young men, since they make up the bulk of our national suicide rate.
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkinner
    Spot on, David. And you might specifically state, equality for young men, since they make up the bulk of our national suicide rate.
    You and david have my attention. 'Equality' in what sense?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All possible senses.
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when creating them

dan neville doesnt proclaim to know although male disenfranchisement through the (obviously good) increased independence of women and closet homosexuality or incapacity to deal with issues relating to self and feeling and others tends to be very high up on the list of making people feel suicidal. Knowing what causes them tip over into taking their own life is known only to them and/or for those who think there is an after life, whoever watches over their afterlife.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All senses truly. Specifically, I'd look at educational performance of young men, and their ability to access their children as areas of inequality, though.
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't know where to find the figures but apparatlly homosexuality is one of the lead causes of suicide.

In genereal though many men and young males find their role in society far to constricting. I mean self expression for many is limited to the sports field outside that you are gay for pretty much any reason.
    Life is a beautiful magnificent thing, even to a jelly fish ~ Charlie Chaplin

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As my two year old daughter said to me yesterday when I took her away from a playground "its not fair".We are never going to have equality of anything like it.
    I hope this doesn't sound flippant -I have been touched by the suicide of someone close to me and I am still living with the effects.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast