Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic Golf: Team Ireland or Team Great Britain?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Olympic Golf: Team Ireland or Team Great Britain?

The back page of today’s Indo (p72) chronicles yesterday’s IOC recommendation that golf be included in the 2016 Olympics.

This announcement immediately throws up the question of which team the Ulster men Graeme McDowell and Rory Mcllroy should represent? The views of both players who will be teaming up to represent Ireland at this year’s golf world cup on this issue are quoted as follows;

Mcllroy: “If I’m lucky enough to be on team GB or whatever, it’d be great”.

McDowell: “It’s the biggest sporting event on the planet and I’d love to be involved … it’s an honour to represent your country. I don’t mind which one I play for”.

Personally, I was very disappointed to read both players comments as I sincerely hope they tog out so to speak for Ireland. At the end of the day, both men were born in Ireland, therefore, they’re Irish and should represent Ireland. On the other hand, this charade of Great Britain being a country should not be let continued. Great Britain is not a country, end off. If someone is from Scotland for instance, they’re Scottish and should therefore represent Scotland and not some imaginary country called Great Britain.

Whether one is catholic or protestant or are from a nationalist or unionist tradition, if they’re born on the Island of Ireland, they’re Irish, end of story.

Anyone else any views on this? I know for example in the past, Mary Peters won an athletics gold for GB while Wayne McCullough won a Boxing bronze in the green colours. It’ll certainly be interesting to see who both players declare for and I sincerely hope it’s for the only country in the equation that being Ireland.

Ps – Apologies and despite my best efforts, I couldn’t get a online link to the article.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree totally with that. Fair play.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Golf in Ireland is played on all-Ireland basis. For some unknown reason in the professional individual tournaments game the powers that be created NI as a golfing entity but then have only Ireland in the World Cup.

Gimpanzee

Do people never tire of this B0llocks? 'They were born in Ireland so they're Irish so they should blah blah blah...'.

McIlroy and McDowell aren't bothered one way or the other who they represent and why would they. Eye on the prize. I couldn't get a rats ass what flag they'll fly under or whether they see themselves as British, Irish or Mexican that's their business. If they are playing they'll have my (utterly worthless) support.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpanzee View Post
    Do people never tire of this B0llocks? 'They were born in Ireland so they're Irish so they should blah blah blah...'.

McIlroy and McDowell aren't bothered one way or the other who they represent and why would they. Eye on the prize. I couldn't get a rats ass what flag they'll fly under or whether they see themselves as British, Irish or Mexican that's their business. If they are playing they'll have my (utterly worthless) support.
    True to norm Gimpanzee you miss the point of the thread. The very essence of the Olympics is the idea of individuals representing their country vis-a-vis other countries. Not everyone can represent their country in the Olympics and they is no guarantee that McDowell for instance will have the honour of representing his country. It is for example also the dream of many atheletes to lead their country in the torch procession of the opening ceremony of the Oympics. So don't give me this nonsense about sports people not being proud to represent their country.

In light of this, please take your cynicism elsewhere.

Gimpanzee

Quote Originally Posted by if not why not View Post
    True to norm Gimpanzee you miss the point of the thread. The very essence of the Olympics is the idea of individuals representing their country vis-a-vis other countries. Not everyone can represent their country in the Olympics and they is no guarantee that McDowell for instance will have the honour of representing his country. It is for example also the dream of many atheletes to lead their country in the torch procession of the opening ceremony of the Oympics. So don't give me this nonsense that sports people being not proud to represent their country.

In light of this, please take your cynicism elsewhere.
    Sweet mother of the baby jebus.... And you think I missed the point?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpanzee View Post
    Sweet mother of the baby jebus.... And you think I missed the point?
    Please do not try to sidetrack from the theme of the thread just because you cannot respond adequately to my contribution. Did you not even bother to read the quotes of the golfers in question and the honour alluded to of representing one's country in the Olympics. Instead, you just dived in with your rant that the only thing sports people care about is the prize on offer and that it bears little in relation to the honour of representing one's country.
    Last edited by if not why not; 14th August 2009 at 09:58 PM.

Gimpanzee

Quote Originally Posted by if not why not View Post
    Please do not try to sidetrack from the theme of the thread just because you cannot respond adequately to my contribution. Did you not even bother to read the quotes of the golfers in question and the honour alluded to of representing one's country in the Olympics. Instead, you just dived in with your rant that the only thing sports people care about is the prize on offer and that it bears little in relation to the honour of representing one's country.
    Oh, they both said they'd be honoured to represent a country. Just that neither was too bothered which one they'd be representing. Which is fine by me, but a big rump of hand-wringing patriots (probably on all sides) have some difficulty with this as per usual, and irritated the OP to the point of opening a thread on the matter. I don't see what your difficulty with my comments in this regard are. Its fairly clear.

As for your assertion that pro-golfers who regularly represent their country would get all jelly-kneed and teary-eyed at carrying a flag around an athletics stadium and not be exclusively interested in prospect of an Olympic medal; well, if you want to believe that, then fair enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Angry I'm not happy at all with the selection: Martial Arts are totally under-represented

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bino View Post
    The back page of today’s Indo (p72) chronicles yesterday’s IOC recommendation that golf be included in the 2016 Olympics.

This announcement immediately throws up the question of which team the Ulster men Graeme McDowell and Rory Mcllroy should represent? The views of both players who will be teaming up to represent Ireland at this year’s golf world cup on this issue are quoted as follows;

Mcllroy: “If I’m lucky enough to be on team GB or whatever, it’d be great”.

McDowell: “It’s the biggest sporting event on the planet and I’d love to be involved … it’s an honour to represent your country. I don’t mind which one I play for”.

Personally, I was very disappointed to read both players comments as I sincerely hope they tog out so to speak for Ireland. At the end of the day, both men were born in Ireland, therefore, they’re Irish and should represent Ireland. On the other hand, this charade of Great Britain being a country should not be let continued. Great Britain is not a country, end off. If someone is from Scotland for instance, they’re Scottish and should therefore represent Scotland and not some imaginary country called Great Britain.

Whether one is catholic or protestant or are from a nationalist or unionist tradition, if they’re born on the Island of Ireland, they’re Irish, end of story.

Anyone else any views on this? I know for example in the past, Mary Peters won an athletics gold for GB while Wayne McCullough won a Boxing bronze in the green colours. It’ll certainly be interesting to see who both players declare for and I sincerely hope it’s for the only country in the equation that being Ireland.

Ps – Apologies and despite my best efforts, I couldn’t get a online link to the article.
    Personally I'm not happy at all with the IOC Decision on Rugby & Golf.

Karate should have been selected, Martial Arts are completely under-represented in the olympic games.

Taekwondo was derived from Japanese Karate when the native arts of Korea were suppressed during the Japanese Occupation, so why should the descendant of the original art have olympic status and not the ancestor?

The original Games were Military orientated: Hence Shooting, Archery, Wrestling, Sprinting, Swimming, Horseriding, Fencing even............. so why do we have Lazy Judo and Taekwondo?

There should be Karate, Wu Shu/Kung Fu, Iaido/Kendo & Mixed Combat.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBrow View Post
    Personally I'm not happy at all with the IOC Decision on Rugby & Golf.

Karate should have been selected, Martial Arts are completely under-represented in the olympic games.

Taekwondo was derived from Japanese Karate when the native arts of Korea were suppressed during the Japanese Occupation, so why should the descendant of the original art have olympic status and not the ancestor?

The original Games were Military orientated: Hence Shooting, Archery, Wrestling, Sprinting, Swimming, Horseriding, Fencing even............. so why do we have Lazy Judo and Taekwondo?

There should be Karate, Wu Shu/Kung Fu, Iaido/Kendo & Mixed Combat.
    so the olympics should only have sports that you approve of ? i'm pretty sure that if Karate was there and not Judo then there'd be people complaining also, they simply cannot have every sport and select them on a wide set of criteria, obliviously some will always be excluded and some added / dropped

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast