Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish dole does not pay enough.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Irish dole does not pay enough.

I have read with stark shock and horror the attitudes people have to the Irish unemployed.

Last month I lost my job and I have had to sign on to support my family.

The welfare I receive does very little to help and support myself and my loved ones.

I am a married man with 5 children. I didnt have my children to claim benefits, I had 5 children because I knew I could love and support them.

The company I worked for went bust after the banks withdrew credit from them.

My Income was well over 60,000 a year.

I am able to claim around 460 per week in welfare.

This equals to around 65 per person in my family.

I also receive Child benefit of around 960.00.

My total Welfare payment including CB, equals to around 681.00 per week.

This is around 35,412 per year.

With my Welfare payment I have the following bills.

A mortgage of 850 per month.

Weekly food shop of 260.00

Monthly electricity costs of 140.00 - 280 per month average spend.

Motor costs of 250.00 per month, this is made up from the costs of taxing my vehicle, servicing petrol and insurance.

Because of my family size I have to have a vehicle of a certain size, I also live in the countryside and have to travel for job interviews, shopping and signing on.

I have a monthly credit card repayment of 100.00 per month.

I have a car loan of 400.00 per month, the car is essential as mentioned above.

And I also have a home improvements loan of 300 per month.

My total outgoings are 3166 per month.

My total incomings are 2951 per month.

I also have other costs which I havent mentioned, Clothes for the kids, School uniforms, TV licence, House Insurance, not to mention I have no idea how I am going to be able to pay towards Birthdays and Christmas.

How will I afford heating oil this winter?

Clearly I am in discussion with MABS to reduce my loan repayments, but even after meaningful reductions such as the above I still will have to repay a hefty amount of cash to my debtors.

Mabs have told me that I will be left with virtually no money at the end of each month.

I am unemployed by no fault of my own. I want to work. I cant get a job.
    I have debts.

I am eating up my savings.

Can someone please tell me how I am living it up on Welfare?

I always thought my job was safe, but alas I was wrong.

It happened to me, it could happen to you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Sorry to hear about your predictament.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is going to be 'paying' less.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes some attitudes are very bad, but that is what some people are like. It is pure luck as to who will lose their job next. Some people want to dump on everyone. Be careful not to generalise. Liam Carroll was once worth €1,000,000,000 now all his staff will lose their jobs.

All i can say is approach bank, and ask for interest only for 2 years.

Keep sending out cv`s but it could be a few months b4 you get anything. A lot of employers wont even reply to your letters.

Dont read to many posts as you will get even more depressed.

Expect the Govt to cut your income by at least 10% so make adjustments now.

This govt dont care about you and your family so expect nothing in extra assistance.

Pick up even a small job every week and it might not effect your welfare. check first.

Keep the head up.................... you are not alone

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Em, I'll be brutally frank with you. You should have saved some money for a rainy day. There, I said it. We are not responsible for your money management.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngloIrishLad View Post
    I have read with stark shock and horror the attitudes people have to the Irish unemployed.

The welfare I receive does very little to help and support myself and my loved ones.

I am a married man with 5 children. I didnt have my children to claim benefits, I had 5 children because I knew I could love and support them.

Motor costs of 250.00 per month, this is made up from the costs of taxing my vehicle, servicing petrol and insurance.

Because of my family size I have to have a vehicle of a certain size, I also live in the countryside and have to travel for job interviews, shopping and signing on.

I also have other costs which I havent mentioned, Clothes for the kids, School uniforms, TV licence, House Insurance, not to mention I have no idea how I am going to be able to pay towards Birthdays and Christmas.

Clearly I am in discussion with MABS to reduce my loan repayments, but even after meaningful reductions such as the above I still will have to repay a hefty amount of cash to my debtors.

Mabs have told me that I will be left with virtually no money at the end of each month.

I have debts.

sorry to hear that you poor basterd. dont mind the bolloxs here there all up there arses and living off there fathers. id love to see them living on the dole theyd be beggin by friday!!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have you tried refinancing? If you bought your house many years ago then you may have equity in it which you can use to release a small bit of money to repay your credit card debts and car loans. This would save much cashflow. I'd also see if you could switch to an interest only mortgage. Does the dole pay the interest on mortgage when out of work?

I'd also cut the internet to save about 25 quid a month, use a library somewhere to check re jobs,etc or just pop into a friends place or have a working friend set up a hotmail account with your name and use it for cvs.

I'd definately try those agencies to help people with their money problems.

I also assume that your wife is looking for work? there is much sexism out there and it is unlikely you'd get hired for jobs society considers feminine.

That's my advice anyway.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought there was a massive backlog of welfare claims, you were lucky you got yours processed so quickly!

birthday

Be aware that if you are claiming for UA that it is means tested.
    If you have been putting money aside for a rainy day you could end up being entitled to nothing.
    Hope that you are sorted with new job long before that.
    In the meantime it should be possible to stretch food budget much more and do something about your very high ESB bill. Are you sure that what you quoted is not the two mothly amount. Even still it seems unusually high.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngloIrishLad View Post

I have debts.

Are you not claiming your monthly mortgage payment against the mortgage insurance payment protection? If not why not? This covers your mortgage for a year. Thereafter you can claim for the mortgage interest allowance. Is there any reason why you have not included these in your calculations?

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast