Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Innocent Lockerbie man to be released

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Innocent Lockerbie man to be released

The man convicted of the Lockerbie bombing is expected to be released next week, the BBC understands.
    Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi, who is suffering from terminal prostate cancer, has been serving his jail sentence at Greenock Prison.
    Scottish ministers described the development as "complete speculation".
    The Libyan had launched an appeal against his conviction for the murder of 270 people when Pan Am Flight 103 exploded over Lockerbie in 1988.

BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Lockerbie bomber 'to be released'

The Libyans, the British, everyone knows the man is innocent, but won't admit it. Just a shame he had to get prostate cancer before getting his freedom. It was the Iranians, not the Libyans...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Paul Foot did excellent work down the years in Private Eye trying to expose the truth of what happened to those slaughtered people. If only the morally bankrupt British Foreign Office and US State Department had put justice for those dead people above the geo-political cynicism that served their short-term then interests. The CIA were all over the crash site within hours, the Scottish police edged out in their own country...

Col Gadaffi’s regime eventually paid out 1.4 million in compensation to the families of the victims but that was seen by those sceptical of the new theory as one just of the deals which brought him back into the international fold and Al Megrahi was sacrificed for the same end.
    Jim Swire, whose daughter Flora was one of those killed, said after the trial into the bombing "I went into that court thinking I was going to see the trial of those who were responsible for the murder of my daughter. I came out thinking he had been framed. I am very afraid that we saw steps taken to ensure that a politically desired result was obtained.”
    Lockerbie: a miscarriage of justice? - Home News, UK - The Independent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good old British justice in action once more.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Digout View Post
    Good old British justice in action once more.
    How dare you question British justice, what about the IRA. Just thought Id get that in before the Fine Gaelers.
    SMASH THE NAMA REPUBLIC GET OUT AND PROTEST

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It wasn't a British decision, it was a decision of the Scottish Justice Minister from holyrood who visited him in prison. This man was convicted under Scottish law not British law in Holland.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Contrast this with the combat ribbons issued to the crew of the Vincesses for shooting down Iran Air Flight 655 . But of course they were 'just obeying orders'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is quite startling just how big a divide there is (generally) between the attitudes of the British families and the American families. Perhaps a reflection of the more cynical and less trusting nature of British people towards 'official' versions of events? Either way, the British families are broadly convinced the man is innocent or at least that there is cause for concern surrounding his conviction. The Americans seem to think that any head will do (they might, understandably, not want to confront the 'appalling vista' that the people who killed their relatives never got justice, nor that their government could have deliberately made sure they didn't)...

The BBC's Daniel Sandford in Washington said "broadly" families in the UK were concerned about the conviction, whereas US relatives were convinced of his guilt.
    American Susan Cohen, whose 20-year-old daughter Theodora also died, said: "Any letting out of Megrahi would be a disgrace. It makes me sick, and if there is a compassionate release then I think that is vile."
    But Pamela Dix, from UK Families Flight 103, said there had been a "lack of justice" for the victims, which included her brother Peter.
    She told BBC Two's Newsnight she was "baffled" by much of the evidence in the trial that led to Megrahi's conviction in 2001.
    'Just a tool'
    And Martin Cadman, who lost his son in the bombing, said he believed Mergrahi was an innocent man who had acted with others.
    He said: "As far as I know the Scottish authorities and no-one else has done anything to try and find who these others were that were supposed to be implicated, so the whole thing is really very unsatisfactory".

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    It is quite startling just how big a divide there is (generally) between the attitudes of the British families and the American families. Perhaps a reflection of the more cynical and less trusting nature of British people towards 'official' versions of events? Either way, the British families are broadly convinced the man is innocent or at least that there is cause for concern surrounding his conviction. The Americans seem to think that any head will do (they might, understandably, not want to confront the 'appalling vista' that the people who killed their relatives never got justice, nor that their government could have deliberately made sure they didn't)...

I would also think that the ordinary Brit is more likely to show a bit of compassion than the average American. Americans can be more into revenge and vengeance - which was the line Bush worked on after 9/11.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The American government, who know that the man is innocent, are pandering to the outrage of the American relatives and sounding off on the idea of him being released. Worms.

BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | South of Scotland | US stands against bomber release

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think Gaddafi felt he had to do anything to get himself out of the cold and a scape goat was offered.
    Had that man not sacrificed his freedom we probably wouldn't of been introduced to these lovely girls.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast