Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Flags in Towns and Villages?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Flags in Towns and Villages?

I was in across the border for the first time in years yesterday and before I ask any questions I just have to say how great the scenery was in Derry, particularly the coast.
    Anyway I was in 4 different counties, Antrim, Derry, Tyrone and Fermanagh and I was a little surprised how many towns and villages were covered in Union and Orange flags. Obviously I expected some but I didn't think it was that frequent the last time I was up.
    Are the flags put up by local authorities?
    And was there more than usual because it's not long after the 12th?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm the same, went for drive to Tullymore forrest, was enjoying the scenary until the horrible looking rags everywhere ruined it for me.

Theyre so awful looking, I dont see why every town must resemble some loyalist ghetto in the summer.

Theyre put up mostly by the UDA, well around here anyway.

Councils arnt allowed to put them up anymore.

The flag waving is excessive to say the least, the people who put these things up must have serious obsessive mental issues.

How will we ever have a tourist season in the summer when so much effort goes into making the place look so horrible.
    Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is sad ok,I wonder are demographics pushing those flags well in to the north east corner or are they still all over the place?

Had friends from Spain and Sweden go up on the 13th last as they thought the orange march in Belfast would be over, been on the 12th but that dam sunday messed it up for them.They got a great deal in the hotel but after driving into the city centre got caught up in it all.They got alot of abuse from the marchers and were shocked at their behaviour.

But I did explain that not all the people in Belfast act like that and I told them Id bring them up again to the nicer parts!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trans-Siberian View Post
    They got alot of abuse from the marchers and were shocked at their behaviour.
    Where was this? I find it difficult to believe that people who were parading where "abusing" tourists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If people have respect for their flag then it should only be up for special occasions. That goes for the Tricolour as well. Having them peppered everywhere for no genuine reason just looks pathetic and infantile.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why ?

Didnt one smack a kid in the face with a drum stick?
    I also seen a load of bandsmen having a punchup in the middle of a 'song'.

Theyre celebrating a war for god sake, I wouldnt go near a march I'd get killed if they thought I wasnt 'one of them'.
    Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Orangeman View Post
    Where was this? I find it difficult to believe that people who were parading where "abusing" tourists.
    Around city hall I think.I must clarify that they were not actually marching,they were just gathering and some were in uniform. Alot of people drinking and throwing things at the Gaurds. And these people live in Dublin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mothball View Post
    If people have respect for their flag then it should only be up for special occasions. That goes for the Tricolour as well. Having them peppered everywhere for no genuine reason just looks pathetic and infantile.
    I agree. Flags should be shown respect and I think that flags should be removed after celebrations. Nothing worse than seeing a tattered rag falling to pieces on top of a lamp post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trans-Siberian View Post
    Around city hall I think.I must clarify that they were not actually marching,they were just gathering and some were in uniform. Alot of people drinking and throwing things at the Gaurds. And these people live in Dublin.

sorry? This was in Belfast? and people following parades were abusing tourists? who'se from Dublin?

Not meaning to sound thick, just wanting to get it straight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by st333ve View Post
    Why ?

Didnt one smack a kid in the face with a drum stick?
    I also seen a load of bandsmen having a punchup in the middle of a 'song'.

Theyre celebrating a war for god sake, I wouldnt go near a march I'd get killed if they thought I wasnt 'one of them'.
    isolated incidents like the one you're on about are one thing, attacking tourists is another. I've never witnessed anything even remotely like it.

Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast