Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cork Green brings us royalty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Cork Green brings us royalty

Interesting story in today's Irish Examiner. Mick Murphy, an unsuccessful Green Party local election candidate in Cork City, wants to bring Prince Albert of Monaco to Ireland to play in a golfing tournament in memory of the prince's late mother, the one time Irish American actress Grace Kelly.

No doubt the Hello magazine readers will flock to coo and gush as the Grimaldi upstart tees off in the K Club but to those of us now being screwed for NAMA and the banks it only raises the question of what is the point of bringing an unelected "prince", who lives in a billionaire's tax haven, to this country?

Corkman to thank for Prince’s visit

By Eoin English

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

HE may have failed to win a seat in the local elections but a Corkman has pulled off a major diplomatic coup that could have huge spin-offs for Irish tourism.

Plans are being finalised for Prince Albert II of Monaco to visit Ireland for the first time later this year and play in a golf tournament in memory of his late mother, Princess Grace.

It is expected the high-profile event will result in a huge boost for the ailing Irish tourism sector because hundreds of super-rich yacht owning supporters follow the prince wherever he goes.

And one of Ireland’s sailing capitals is hoping to get on board. Kinsale Town Council will be asked next month to extend an official invitation to the prince to visit the town as part of his official visit.

And it’s all thanks to Mick Murphy, a Green Party activist based in Cork.

He wrote last year to K Club owner, Michael Smurfit, the Irish Consul to the Principality of Monaco, suggesting ways of forging stronger links between Ireland and Monaco.

He suggested that Dr Smurfit host a golf classic at the K Club in honour of Princess Grace, and at the same time mark the 25th anniversary of the establishment of the Irish Library in Monaco.

Dr Smurfit then wrote to Monsieur Franck Biancheri of the principality’s Department of Foreign Affairs who wrote to Mr Murphy saying the Monaco Government was very interested in the project.

He told Mr Murphy to work with senior officials in Monaco’s Department of Tourism, and with Howard Kilroy, the Honorary Consul of Monaco in Ireland, to finalise the event.

Mr Murphy said he was delighted with the response. "This will have huge benefits for Irish tourism," he predicted.

Grace Kelly married Prince Rainier III of Monaco in 1956. The couple visited Ireland in 1961 during which the princess visited the birthplace of her grandfather John Kelly, who was born in 1857.

He emigrated to the US in the late 19th century and founded what was to become one of Philadelphia’s leading companies.

The Princess died in a car crash in 1982. Prince Ranier opened the Irish Library in Monaco in 1984 as a tribute to her love of Ireland. It houses her collection of Irish books, and Irish-American sheet music.

There are also books inscribed to the Prince and Princess by former president Eamon de Valera in 1961, as well as painting by Jack Yeats and Louis le Brocquy.

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Read more: Corkman to thank for Prince?s visit | Irish Examiner
    "The rich always betray the poor"- Henry Joy McCracken

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If Prince Albert has an Irish grandfather he is actually entitled to citizenship if he choses! Whats the harm in Prince Albert coming over, he's always made himself available to support charity work in this country, he's probabley done more for the poor of this country than many a minister who's ferried around the country in a state car

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's funny. When I saw the headline I thought it was a British royal and I was set to object but when I saw it was Prince Albert I thought it was a grand idea.

It's hard to escape the old conditioning all the same.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TradCat View Post
    That's funny. When I saw the headline I thought it was a British royal and I was set to object but when I saw it was Prince Albert I thought it was a grand idea.

It's hard to escape the old conditioning all the same.
    LMAO When i read the headline i tought the same....i was getting ready to jump in with...Rebel county me arse rant..LOL

I suppose...if it helps tourism...what the harm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Podolski1.5 View Post
    Interesting story in today's Irish Examiner. Mick Murphy, an unsuccessful Green Party local election candidate in Cork City, wants to bring Prince Albert of Monaco to Ireland to play in a golfing tournament in memory of the prince's late mother, the one time Irish American actress Grace Kelly.

No doubt the Hello magazine readers will flock to coo and gush as the Grimaldi upstart tees off in the K Club but to those of us now being screwed for NAMA and the banks it only raises the question of what is the point of bringing an unelected "prince", who lives in a billionaire's tax haven, to this country?
    Fair dues to Mick Murphy.
    Attracting potential international media attention at at time when the tourism industry is in the doldrums is always welcome.
    Don't understand the OPs bitterness though.
    Does he just hate rich people ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Doff the auld cap, bend the knee, tug the forelock - our superiors are here again to drag us out of the mire.
    "The rich always betray the poor"- Henry Joy McCracken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Doff the auld cap, bend the knee, tug the forelock - our superiors are here again to drag us out of the mire.
    Why the bitterness? The Prince has done nothing to us. He is a very well known international celebrity. Don't have much time for him myself but he seems harmless enough. No one is putting a gun to your head and demanding you grovel before him.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The chips on both your shoulders keep you perfectly balanced.
    This could bring in much needed tourists, quit the unnecessary knocking.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From today's Cork News. thecorknews.ie | A newspaper by the people of Cork, for the people of Cork
    Fair play to Mick Murphy, i wish him well....

Cork’s Mick Murphy finalises plans for royal visit

Plans are now being finalised for Prince Albert II of Monaco to visit Ireland later this year to mark the 25th anniversary of the Princess Grace Irish Library, Monaco founded in memory of his late mother, Princess Grace two years after her tragic death.
    The visit, the brainchild of Cork Green Party Spokesperson on Community Development Mick Murphy, is also expected to include a Golf Classic at the K Club in Kildare.

Mr. Murphy told the Cork News, “Following my letter to the Irish Hon. Consul to Monaco and K Club owner Dr. Michael Smurfit seeking the use of the world famous club, and my letter to HSH Prince Albert seeking his backing for the event I am delighted with the positive response of both parties”.
    The Director of Foreign Affairs of the Principality (Departement Des Relations Exterieures) wrote to me supporting the plan and asked that I work with the Monegasque Director of Tourism, Monsieur Michel Bouquier, and with the Monaco Consul in Ireland Mr. Howard Kilroy.

My meeting with Mr. Kilroy in Dublin advanced the project considerably as he brought on board one of the most experienced event management companies, HOB Management in Europe to work on the event.” He continued, following contacts I made with Ryanair’s Michael O’Leary, European Media Partners Europeanirish.com, and the Irish Hotels Federation and Tourism Ireland, I am delighted that all the above are supporting the project.
    I presented Monsieur Bouquier with a book entitled Maritime Paintings of Cork 1700-2000”, as well as details of the oldest yacht club in the world, the Royal Cork Yacht Club to make a case for the Prince to visit the Cork region as part of his first official visit to Ireland.

I have just received an email from Dr. Michael Smurfit to say that he has spoken directly to the Prince regarding the visit.” Murphy is now working with Colonel Bruno Philipponnat, aide to the Prince on the organization of the event, which is expected to provide a welcome boost to tourism, attracting hundreds of yachting enthusiasts to Irish ports

In his letter to Mr. Smurfit, Murphy pointed out that despite strong Irish links and direct flights from Cork to Nice, Cote d’ Azur International Airport, which is only a 20 minute drive from Monaco, the principality remains untapped in terms of Irish tourism.

Opened in November 1984 by Prince I Rainier III of Monaco as his tribute to the attachment Princess Grace (1929-1982) felt for her Irish origins, the Princess Grace Irish Library is situated a short walk from the Palace on the Rock of Monaco.
    It was during the 1961 State Visit to Ireland that the Prince and Princess of Monaco visited her ancestral home where the Princess’s grandfather John Kelly was born in 1857, a few years after the Famine. He emigrated to the United States in the late 19th century and founded what was to become one of Philadelphia’s leading companies.

Princess Grace’s personal collection of Irish books (most of which line the walls of her Palace office) and Irish-American sheet music form the very heart of the Library’s collections.

Many of the volumes are from the library of leading, Irish diplomat Count Gerald Edward O’Kelly de Gallach (1890-1968) which Princess Grace purchased in the 1970s. Books inscribed to the Prince and Princess by former Irish president Eamon De Valera in 1961 are also on view at the Library.
    Since the Library’s inauguration, nine thousand books have been acquired or donated by benefactors and visitors – including works from the Irish literary revival (1892-1922), and an excellent selection of contemporary writings – many signed by the authors.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good news for Ireland, looks like this visit is going ahead.

Prince to visit Chríost Rí on first official visit to Ireland | Irish Examiner

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast