Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brendan McGahon Ex FG TD for Louth - Why did he stand bail for a major fraudster.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Brendan McGahon Ex FG TD for Louth - Why did he stand bail for a major fraudster.

Can someone from Louth or there abouts explain to me the connections or business relationship if any between Brendan McGahon Ex FG TD in Louth with the serious Fraudster and major smuggler and all round bad boy with 157 convictions from tax evasion to breaking licencing laws - John Oliver Byrne.

Why did he feel it necessary to accompany and support this man by putting up ten thousand in Bail, on the day of his court appearance, does he have or ever had other associates/friends or whatever that are being investigated by CAB for smuggling and racketeering. Why was he not questioned in the Dail about this, or brought before a ethics committee by FG and asked to explain his actions and reasoning. Why pay bail for a man who defrauded the British revenue of 1.3 million sterling.

Is it just a Ex TD happening to help out a chum, with more serious convictions than a Moyross housing estate or what? Please do tell. Is there any other major criminals that he has provided bail for.

Politically Brendan is famous for his Lord and Sex Organs speech, in which he denounced homosexuals as not "deserving of tolerance"

What is the simple yet ungiven explanation.

https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/w...06121439000400
    http://www.sfo.gov.uk/news/prout/pr_40.asp?id=40
    Last edited by Eorna; 10th August 2009 at 06:10 PM.
    Fianna Fáil
    The Land agents party.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Care to give us a link or is this just stuff out of your head?

What I could find from googling (which people shouldn't need to do if you are genuinely interested in a discussion) relates to the avoidance of levies dating back to the 1980s. Is that what you're talking about?

Standing bail is simply a means to allow someone be at liberty while awaiting trail and is evidence of nothing more than you believe the person to not be a flight risk. There are in the US people who do this for a living called bail bondsmen.
    Last edited by KingKane; 10th August 2009 at 06:15 PM.
    Dan Sullivan. I was back but we still couldn't all have a vote. http://www.danielsullivan.ie/blog/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KingKane View Post
    See above, I try to pull the lotto numbers out of my head, it did not work, so now I stick to facts.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't want this to degenerate in to a FG's on one side and the rest on the other, but why was this not a major issue. It is indefensible, morally and politically that a sitting govt. TD would bail out someone who defrauds revenue, and has 157 convictions.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eorna View Post
    Can someone from Louth or there abouts explain to me the connections or business relationship if any between Brendan McGahon Ex FG TD in Louth with the serious Fraudster and major smuggler and all round bad boy with 157 convictions from tax evasion to breaking licencing laws - John Oliver Byrne.

Why did he feel it necessary to accompany and support this man by putting up ten thousand in Bail, on the day of his court appearance, does he have or ever had other associates/friends or whatever that are being investigated by CAB for smuggling and racketeering. Why was he not questioned in the Dail about this, or brought before a ethics committee by FG and asked to explain his actions and reasoning. Why pay bail for a man who defrauded the British revenue of 1.3 million sterling.

Is it just a Ex TD happening to help out a chum, with more serious convictions than a Moyross housing estate or what? Please do tell. Is there any other major criminals that he has provided bail for.

Politically Brendan is famous for his Lord and Sex Organs speech, in which he denounced homosexuals as not "deserving of tolerance"

What is the simple yet ungiven explanation.

https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/w...06121439000400
    Serious Fraud Office | Grain dealer admits guilt in Ireland cross-border levy fraud
    It's very common practice in Irish politics, just look at Adams and Tom , the slab, Murphy.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

See above, I try to pull the lotto numbers out of my head, it did not work, so now I stick to facts.
    Since when?
    Seems like only today you were accusing me of planting bombs in Dublin and being a Para really.

Go on I´m listening. Prove that you´ve actually got something worthwhile to say for once, or are you just trying to take the heat off your SF TD buddy in the opposite part of the country who taxis murderers around from one SF bash to another.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KingKane View Post

What I could find from googling (which people shouldn't need to do if you are genuinely interested in a discussion) relates to the avoidance of levies dating back to the 1980s. Is that what you're talking about?

Standing bail is simply a means to allow someone be at liberty while awaiting trail and is evidence of nothing more than you believe the person to not be a flight risk. There are in the US people who do this for a living called bail bondsmen.
    The evasion of the levies in the North was one of the charges that he was convicted of.

While there is no reason to believe that Byrne was a flight risk, having a sitting govt. TD stand bail for you could be seen as unduly influencing the Judge where as I would consider a bailsman to be an impartial body.

There are a lot of smugglers in Louth, due to the border, and fraudsters that would be a serious as byrne in every county. Why did McGahon pick him as the one. Do other TD's post bail for criminals serious or otherwise.

If it was a motivated by McGahon believing that a suspect has the right to be free prior to trial, he will surely have done likewise prior or after to this for other people, has he?. Have other TD's posted bail for criminals serious or otherwise? .

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdaly View Post
    It's very common practice in Irish politics, just look at Adams and Tom , the slab, Murphy.
    So Adams and McGahon are cut from the same cloth when it comes to smugglers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't want this to degenerate in to a FG's on one side and the rest on the other, but why was this not a major issue. It is indefensible, morally and politically that a sitting govt. TD would bail out someone who defrauds revenue, and has 157 convictions.
    There was some talk about this locally years ago. There was some family relationship between them, though I don't recall the details.

McGahon being such an awkward and peripheral figure in FG at the time could not be told to keep out of the issue.

The word maverick could have been invented to describe him. Though Oliver J Flanagan might dispute that.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by absconded View Post
    Since when?
    Seems like only today you were accusing me of planting bombs in Dublin and being a Para really.

Go on I´m listening. Prove that you´ve actually got something worthwhile to say for once, or are you just trying to take the heat off your SF TD buddy in the opposite part of the country who taxis murderers around from one SF bash to another.
    I was being sarcastic. The evidence is there, I am asking why McGahon felt it necessary to bail out a smuggler with 157 convictions. How many British MP's are setting bail for their constituients that are defrauding the revenue?.

What are you on about take the heat of "SF TD buddy", it is a political website you numbnuts that seems to have thread started every fifteen minutes. If you do not know anything what this man was up to then p off back to the ferris thread.
    Last edited by Eorna; 10th August 2009 at 06:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast