Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: State pledge on 'green' electricity

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default State pledge on 'green' electricity

The Government is committed to producing 30 per cent of electricity by renewable energy by 2020, Minister for Marine and Natural Resources Noel Dempsey told the Dáil.

"Some think that this target is too conservative. Others argue about the significant technical and competitive cost challenges. I believe that we should set the bar high and back up realistic ambition with concrete measures." - Irish Times

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: State pledge on 'green' electricity

Quote Originally Posted by David Cochrane
    The Government is committed to producing 30 per cent of electricity by renewable energy by 2020, Minister for Marine and Natural Resources Noel Dempsey told the Dáil.

"Some think that this target is too conservative. Others argue about the significant technical and competitive cost challenges. I believe that we should set the bar high and back up realistic ambition with concrete measures." - Irish Times

Good news. Maybe its the businessman in me but I'm very fond of target driven agendas.

We have the percentage and we have the time scale.

Now lets just do it!.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That target is technically feasible. The people arguing about the supposed technical and competitive cost challenges are trying to protect the status quo and are not prepared to weight the positive economic benefits of producing indigenous energy within the economy, the benefits of stable pricing, and the benefits of energy security.

These benefits are medium and long term benefits - but we live in a short term world.

I'm with Dempsey on this one - we should set the bar high, we should aim to achieve a critical mass of demonstration projects within a very short time span - there are a queue of people waiting for the go-ahead for big BioEnergy projects.

Other Countries are doing it!

It isn't difficult!
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." Mark Twain

“When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.” Napoléon Bonaparte

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You have to be a subscriber to read the article.

Anyway, 30% not enough, it's not soon enough and it will create only extra, not alternative, energy. I'd like to know what sources are to be used for this renewable energy. I welcome any movement in the area of renewables and lessening foreign dependence, however.

Until global energy usage is curbed - that is, demand for fossil fuels is deliberately and actively suppressed - this sort of initiative simply means that the people using renewables allow others to squander even more carbon-derived electricity, even if it is in other countries.
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when creating them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does he mention how he intends to do this? Or is this another empty FF promise. I think we’ve learned over the last 9 nine years that things don’t just happen if you wish hard enough.

I can't read the article because you have to subscribe so don’t say it’s there.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

An admirable intent, but not one that will work without targets or some leadership. Unfortunately this and the green paper has the whiff of another Dempsey has a great idea and gets shafted by his colleagues.

The responses to the green paper are going to be enlightening, to date nearly every group I have spoken to while researching it are slamming the governments lack of direction.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.63
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A great idea let's hope it actually happens. Should go down well with would-be Green voters. The govt needs to woo them away with initiatives like this, and show who is the real "Green Party".

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach
    A great idea let's hope it actually happens. Should go down well with would-be Green voters. The govt needs to woo them away with initiatives like this, and show who is the real "Green Party".
    I love the way you refer to the government as one party!?!?
    Life is a beautiful magnificent thing, even to a jelly fish ~ Charlie Chaplin

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jady88
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach
    I love the way you refer to the government as one party!?!?
    I mean Noel Dempsey's party as he is the responsible minister in this case. Wasn't making the inference you suggest.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Myself, I'm of the opinion that we should aim for a higher target. Also, we should be aiming to minimise the energy use of households.

Something that might be beneficial to this initative would be some interim targets.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast