Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 1500 a night - Minister Roche 'appalled'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 1500 a night - Minister Roche 'appalled'.

Minister for Europe Dick Roche TD has said he was 'appalled' at the cost of his Paris hotel. His people had booked it for him.

More Ministers should be appalled by this sort of thing.

That might stop it.

Roche defends Ceann Comhairle on expenses | Irish Examiner

Europe Minister Dick Roche said he was appalled to discover the cost of the Parisian hotel he was booked into .....

The report does not say whether he became appalled before or after staying there. Perhaps he was appalled beforehand, and did not stay there at all. Anyone who can cast light?
    Last edited by He3; 28th February 2011 at 06:02 PM.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh I'm sure he was gutted.

That w@nker Cowen needs to realise that if he is to tell the unemployed and pensioners to take a cut (which he should tell them) , that he cannot have the political class swanning around like millionaires living off taxpayers money.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@He3, you mis-spelled "appalling" in the title
    "Unless you are an absolute pacifist, then you acknowledge that there are times when taking up arms is appropriate."
    - cactusflower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What hotel was it ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seeing as we live in a republic and we are all equal, should company directors now do the same, i.e. take the missus away for a few days and stay in a top hotel and pay the bill with company money? This will reduce the tax bill, and there is nothing the taxman can do about it if the FF lads are allowed do it, then we are also allowed do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If I stayed in a €1500 per night room I'd know roughly that I was staying in a pretty expensive room - if it was coming from my money I'd urgently check the cost

Tricky Dick conveniently didn't ... and his staff conveniently booked him a €1500 per night room

He's only sorry for being caught

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post
    Minister for Europe Dick Roche TD has said he was 'appalled' at the cost of his Paris hotel. His people had booked it for him.

More Ministers should be appalled by this sort of thing.

That might stop it.

Roche defends Ceann Comhairle on expenses | Irish Examiner

Europe Minister Dick Roche said he was appalled to discover the cost of the Parisian hotel he was booked into .....

The report does not say whether he became appalled before or after staying there. Perhaps he was appalled beforehand, and did not stay there at all. Anyone who can cast light?
    Two things are apparent 1)His staff booked this very expense of hotel and as they didn't tell him it was a matter of routine to book top class expensive hotels 2)He was a minister for quite some time and never bothered to check what expenses were being paid out. Both are shameful.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's all very well being appalled with the expense, but what rules did Minister Roche put in place in his department after learning of the costs involved?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What instructions had "his people" about the booking---did they not discuss it with him in advance? Did any of his civil servants or political advisers avail of the same accommodation? Lets hear from you Dick!

It was nothing short of grotesque, unbelievable, bizarre and unprecedented!

Right, Dick?

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast