Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Taxpayers to compensate M3 toll firm for light traffic

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs down Taxpayers to compensate M3 toll firm for light traffic

Taxpayers to compensate M3 toll firm for light traffic | BreakingNews.ie

Seriously, this government need's to be thrown out...

Politics.ie Member MsAnneThrope's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The latter part of this Prime Time program from 2005 deals with Tolls and how the Irish motorists are being ripped off for billions of euro, which are going into private pockets, all with our Government's blessing, support and encouragement. It is one of the greatest scams ever imposed on the Irish motorist. Vast profits are made over the 30 year lifetime of these toll road deals. The program also shows you where tolls are going to pop up in the future (some already have as the program is from 2005).
    We all love animals. Why do we call some 'pets' and others 'dinner'?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Not enough Traffic? Get State compo.

State to compensate M3 toll firm for light traffic - National News, Breaking News - Sligochampion.ie

Monday August 10 2009

Taxpayers will have to compensate the operators of the new M3 motorway if the number of motorists using the road falls below agreed targets.

For the first time, the National Roads Authority has agreed a "minimum traffic level" in its contract with the toll company Eurolink.

If traffic falls below expectations, the State will have to make up the shortfall in payments to the firm.

The NRA says the agreement is necessary to attract private investment in the project.

The controversial 650m motorway, which passes through the Tara-Skryne Valley in Co Meath, is due to open in the middle of next year.
    See also: Taxpayerwill have to foot bill for M3 toll shortfall - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

Bail-outs for the banks and builders, now bail-outs for toll road 'owners'.

Couple of weird things about this.
    The Greens are supposed to be into reducing car use to lower our "carbon footprint" and want a carbon tax. Now we see that more cars are needed to be used to reach a minimum income for toll road operators or we'll have to compensate the operators.

There is also the rail link the Greens have been pushing in the same area. If this is taken up instead of using cars, the toll operators, Eurolink, will have to be compensated for loss of earnings, by the taxpayers.

With this compensation package the Gov't have basically given to Eurolink, even those who don't drive will be paying for the N3 toll road unless sufficient drivers are forced to use the toll road.

This show well that Eurolink is not an entrepeneurial company, no risk to them if they don't make money directly on tolls, shure the taxpayer will pay.
    Are they a private enterprise or not?
    The enemy of my enemy is the enemy of my enemy. EU Army coming to be, the feckin' conspiracy nuts on Lisbon were right on this one.

So the fact houses aren't being lashed up along the M3 as expected means we have to compensate some company for making a bad business decision. PPP motorways are a good idea in theory but this provision is ridiculous.
    Michael Courtney
    Lusk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Article in todays indo

TAXPAYERS will have to compensate the operators of the controversial M3 motorway if the number of vehicles using it falls below target.

It is understood this is the first time such a guaranteed minimum toll income has been agreed.

There will be downward pressure on the numbers using the M3, which opens early next year, because drivers could face 11.20-a- day in tolls and there will also be a new rail service to Navan.

The Dunboyne to Clonsilla leg of the rail link to Dublin opens next year, with the full line coming on stream in 2015.

The 'minimum traffic level' clause for the M3 was included in the contract for the 650m motorway through Co Meath. It means the State will have to pay the toll operators, Eurolink, compensation if traffic flows (predicted at up to 60,000 drivers per day) fail to meet the agreed minimum target. But the National Roads Authority (NRA) has not revealed what this target is.
    Read the full piece
    Taxpayerwill have to foot bill for M3 toll shortfall - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

Politics.ie Member MsAnneThrope's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Taxpayers to compensate M3 toll firm for light traffic
    It's just ripe for abuse isn't it? What failsafe mechanisms are in place to verify the number of tolls received, or are we just going to take their word for it that they're 20,000,000 short, for example?
    We all love animals. Why do we call some 'pets' and others 'dinner'?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Merged.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder who could have been bribed in relation to this?

I heard the spokesman for the company running this on Newstalk this morning, a guy with an incredibly annoying Irish-American accent (I think anyway) defending their taking 2 payments of €2.80 on on stretch of road, making a grand total of €11.20 for a round trip.

Makes the mind boggle, normally I abhor violence, but this guy had me fantasising about running the car up to 90mph and holding his face to the road below so I could literally wipe the smug expression (yes, it actually beamed out of the radio into my car if you can believe that, it was that smug) off his face.
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by myksav View Post
    State to compensate M3 toll firm for light traffic - National News, Breaking News - Sligochampion.ie

See also: Taxpayerwill have to foot bill for M3 toll shortfall - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

Bail-outs for the banks and builders, now bail-outs for toll road 'owners'.

Couple of weird things about this.
    The Greens are supposed to be into reducing car use to lower our "carbon footprint" and want a carbon tax. Now we see that more cars are needed to be used to reach a minimum income for toll road operators or we'll have to compensate the operators.

There is also the rail link the Greens have been pushing in the same area. If this is taken up instead of using cars, the toll operators, Eurolink, will have to be compensated for loss of earnings, by the taxpayers.

With this compensation package the Gov't have basically given to Eurolink, even those who don't drive will be paying for the N3 toll road unless sufficient drivers are forced to use the toll road.

This show well that Eurolink is not an entrepeneurial company, no risk to them if they don't make money directly on tolls, shure the taxpayer will pay.
    Are they a private enterprise or not?
    It would be nice to get the compensation figures, the way I look at it, if they are compensated for 20,000 cars per week (for example purposes) then surely I could drive up the barrier and pass through free, if asked, I could say that I have already paid for it.

Think that would work?

Me neither, only people like John O'Donohue and his ilk get away with that level of brass neckery.
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast