Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hackers show up flaws in e-voting

Default Hackers show up flaws in e-voting

DUTCH hackers who last week breached the security of electronic-voting machines say they can detect which way a person has voted from 25 metres away.Using a receiver the hackers say they can pick up “accidental” radio transmissions from the machines that provide a unique fingerprint for each candidate.

Matthijs Schippers, from Nedap, the Dutch manufacturer of the machines, has confirmed that emissions from the machines can be picked up but wasn’t convinced they could tell which way a person voted. Timesonline

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Hackers show up flaws in e-voting

Quote Originally Posted by padraig
    DUTCH hackers who last week breached the security of electronic-voting machines say they can detect which way a person has voted from 25 metres away.Using a receiver the hackers say they can pick up “accidental” radio transmissions from the machines that provide a unique fingerprint for each candidate.

Matthijs Schippers, from Nedap, the Dutch manufacturer of the machines, has confirmed that emissions from the machines can be picked up but wasn’t convinced they could tell which way a person voted. Timesonline
    Our noble Minister for the Environment has rubbished this, however, and claims all is well with these machines.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is already being discussed here.

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Irish government ...

spends 60 million plus on machines no-one asked for, then showed people how to break into them.

Incompetence on a monumental scale.
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

from the same report:
    It has now emerged that the contract for the purchase of the bulk of the voting machines was signed just 24 hours after Fianna Fail rushed through a vote in favour of the scheme at a joint Oireachtas committee.

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have read it. I think the fears here are exaggerated. First of all, there is no suggestion that you can change the outcome in a machine without being able to physically open it up. Part of the problem from the news seems to be that all machines use an identical key. The solution is to ensure a unique key for each machine, or even a safe-style lock. I am more concerned with the risk of counting-errors. I am pretty sure this will eventually be adequately addressed, paving the way for us to introduce GE's with E-voting. However, I think for the moment this issue has gotten too much bad press in this country and should be wound up until a more fool-proof system can be developed. We trust electronics with most aspects of our lives already e.g. online-banking, online-shopping, chip-and-pin devices in retail-outlets. It seems a logical progression then in a 21st century context that the next step be e-voting.

The Irish government ...

spends 60 million plus on machines no-one asked for, then showed people how to break into them.

Incompetence on a monumental scale.
    Monumental is OTT when you consider the annual budget of €50 billion.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach
    We trust electronics with most aspects of our lives already e.g. online-banking, online-shopping, chip-and-pin devices in retail-outlets. It seems a logical progression then in a 21st century context that the next step be e-voting.
    I can't let that red herring pass without comment: in all of the examples of "trusting electronics" you provide, the user has the opportunity to verify that the computer's record of the transaction matches his or her own. This is not available in e-voting, unless a voter-verifiable audit trail (VVAT) is provided.

but look at crappiness(tm) of the machines, shows you the quality of the companies, and there lack of thought on every aspect.
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryano
    We trust electronics with most aspects of our lives already e.g. online-banking, online-shopping, chip-and-pin devices in retail-outlets. It seems a logical progression then in a 21st century context that the next step be e-voting.
    I can't let that red herring pass without comment: in all of the examples of "trusting electronics" you provide, the user has the opportunity to verify that the computer's record of the transaction matches his or her own. This is not available in e-voting, unless a voter-verifiable audit trail (VVAT) is provided.
    Well then VVAT should also be incorporated in a new system but in principle E-voting is a logical progression into the 21st century.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well then VVAT should also be incorporated in a new system but in principle E-voting is a logical progression into the 21st century.
    Glad you agree with the need for VVAT. Now, any chance you could convince the Minister?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast