Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin Myers - "Green Party is heading for an early extinction ... unbridled joy!!!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Kevin Myers - "Green Party is heading for an early extinction ... unbridled joy!!!"

From the Irish Independent 6th Aug 2009 ... "Green Party is heading for an early extinction and its death should be a source of unbridled joy".

I dont agree with Myres most of the time, and I certanly dont agree with much of what he says in this article ... especially the bit about GM foods. However there are some very interesting things in the article which are difficult to ignore.

Myers says ... "The Green Party is heading for an early extinction, like a short-lived animal species that failed to genetically modify to cope with climate change, and its death should be a source of unbridled joy".

And one of the reasons Myres gives for this "early extinction"? A lack of Green integrity from Eamon Ryan ...

Myers again ... "For in an outstanding example of Green integrity, Eamon Ryan promised in the last election that Ireland would never, ever have nuclear fuel. And almost the first thing he did once he was a minister in government was to sign an agreement to buy nuclear power from Britain".

More about the importation of British nuke power by Eamon Ryan from Myers ... "The Greens backing Ireland's importation of nuclear energy is just too delicious for words".

As I have said above, I would disagree with Myers most of the time. However, he raises some interesting points in both of the articles linked above.

The most interesting thing is that there seems to be such a wide variety of people who are vehemently against the Greens now. From Patricia McKenna to Kevin Myres and most people in between.

A truly stunning achievement from Gormley and Co. to alienate such a vast and wide spectrum of the Irish populace.
    SPN claims the massive pensions of ex-FF Ministers are "paid for by hungry children and sick people on trollies". SPN, does this also apply to ex-Green Ministers???

As ive said before on this site, The Irish Greens will be a fascinating case study in years to come about how it takes decades to build a political movement from fringe activists to Parlimentary Power. And just 2 years to tear it down.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

it's certianly a source of unbridled joy for me, and to think I was terrified two years ago at the thought of them being in Power. Thank God they have achieved nothing
    If we were all born equal we would all be white, middle-class, middle-aged men!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If Myers, and the other shock jock journos keep it up, they will do the opposite on the basis that if Myers & Co are agin it, loads of people will be for it.

I'm surprised at Myers taking what seems to be the politically correct course of action lately which is to slag off the greens in govt. My my how shockingly uncontroversial of him.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I met Eamon Ryan once around the time that congestion on the M50 was daily news. I said something to him about the M50 and to my astonishment I realised that his problem was not the congestion but the fact that the M50 existed at all. These people are total fruitcakes and need to be consigned to history asap. Neither should we forget the inglorious actions of Ciaran Cuffe who went down to St. Patrick's Cathedral to support the Afghans during that stunt a few years ago.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why would Myers find it amazing that the greens would buy Nuclear power? It is the cleanest form of energy there is, producing less CO2 than most energy supplies. I dislike the Green party for propping up the govt, but if Myers hates them, thats reason enough for me to like them.

Kevin Myers is a right wing tool. A caricature of a man, a pathetic, west brit scumbag. Hopefully he rolls over and dies.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
    I dislike the Green party for propping up the govt, but if Myers hates them, thats reason enough for me to like them.

Such profundity. Don't strain yourself now.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I certainly don't take great joy in the self-destruction of the Irish green party. I doubt many people do. What the party leadership has done to the cause of green politics in Ireland is effectively political suicide. The greens had huge potential but, sadly, it's going to go completely unrealised for at least a decade after this government collapses and the blame for that lies squarely with the current party leadership.

I really don't think watching an arrogant leadership which had lost touch with it's own support base driving what should be a very noble political cause over a cliff is something that very many people, other than perhaps myers, are going to delight in.

When (not if) the FF backbenchers pull the plug on this sorry excuse for a government, the greens are going to be left totally washed up. They won't be able to claim any moral high ground and are unlikely to have made any significant impact on legislation (that people notice). FF will also implement lots of green taxes and charges to shore up revenue and blame the greens!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slx View Post
    I certainly don't take great joy in the self-destruction of the Irish green party. I doubt many people do. What the party leadership has done to the cause of green politics in Ireland is effectively political suicide. The greens had huge potential but, sadly, it's going to go completely unrealised for at least a decade after this government collapses and the blame for that lies squarely with the current party leadership.

I really don't think watching an arrogant leadership which had lost touch with it's own support base driving what should be a very noble political cause over a cliff is something that very many people, other than perhaps myers, are going to delight in.

When (not if) the FF backbenchers pull the plug on this sorry excuse for a government, the greens are going to be left totally washed up. They won't be able to claim any moral high ground and are unlikely to have made any significant impact on legislation (that people notice). FF will also implement lots of green taxes and charges to shore up revenue and blame the greens!
    This is definitely one of the best posts that I have ever read on P.ie.

Sums up my opinion almost perfectly.
    SPN claims the massive pensions of ex-FF Ministers are "paid for by hungry children and sick people on trollies". SPN, does this also apply to ex-Green Ministers???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Green vote sees absolutely no contradiction on Ryans nuclear dablings, so it won't cost the Green party a thing. It is a given that the much heralded interconnecter, without which the ministers much favoured wind energy plan won't work, will draw nuclear power.

The Greens just don't talk about it.

Denial of reality is a trait the Greens have taken from opposition into government. That trait seems to be both healthy and intact because it is a shared trait among Green supporters. Ireland will rely on Nuclear power, we just won't ever admit it.

The reality is British Nuclear energy is a vital part of our "Green" future.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast