Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Amnesty International and same-sex marriage

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Amnesty International and same-sex marriage

John Waters and David Quinn both make the same point in their columns today, to wit, that Amnesty International, which once stuck very clearly to saying that prisoners of conscience of both right and left wing regimes ought to be freed, has now become a mouthpiece of the politically correct left.

Their jumping off point was a speech given by Amnesty Ireland head Colm O'Gorman in Belfast on Tuesday, in which he described anyone who opposed same-sex marriage or adoption as a bigot (those weren't his exact words, but that was his plain meaning).

For me, Amnesty stepped over the line from being a genuinely non-partisan pro-human rights group into a left-wing talking shop years ago, when they put up posters regarding immigration policy highlighting John O'Donoghue, Mary Harney and Bertie Ahern. The tagline read something like "Some say they don't do enough about racism. Some say they are racists."

I'm not a member of Fianna Fáil and wasn't a member of the PDs. In fact, I find Mary Harney to be objectionable on a lot of issues. But I found (and still find) that sort of labeling of politicians to be disgusting.

Mr O'Gorman's description of opponents of same-sex marriage are of the same ilk. They are designed to shut down discussion about the issue through labeling people as bigots. It's a sad way for an organisation which is supposed to be about the protection of human rights to end up; attempting to silence free speech.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Amnesty Internation: full of left wing middle class hippies who couldn't get a job when they left college.

Be careful which receptacle you leave your spare change in folks.

Politics.ie Member sauntersplash's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Factorem View Post
    Amnesty Internation: full of left wing middle class hippies who couldn't get a job when they left college.
    It's actually quite difficult to get a job in Amnesty International. There are a lot more left wing middle class hippies than you might imagine.
    "No." - Rosa Parks

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sauntersplash View Post
    It's actually quite difficult to get a job in Amnesty International. There are a lot more left wing middle class hippies than you might imagine.
    Ah yes, the cosseted "save the world" types who "go travelling" until they're 40 and expect someone to give them a job when they come back from "finding themselves".

Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

What's the issue here? Same sex marriage, abortion, O'Gormans statements or Amnesty's position? Or indeed all of the above?
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This thread will soon be taken over by opus dei agents and all reasonable rational discussion will cease. Or has it happened already ?

Politics.ie Member sauntersplash's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Factorem View Post
    Ah yes, the cosseted "save the world" types who "go travelling" until they're 40 and expect someone to give them a job when they come back from "finding themselves".
    That's quite the stereotype you've got there. It must be reassuring to look upon the world in such a way. I envy your lack of imagination.
    "No." - Rosa Parks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Amnesty moved long ago from just campaigning on prisoners of conscience to campaigning on human rights issues generally. It seems John Waters is only realising this now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by myk View Post
    Amnesty moved long ago from just campaigning on prisoners of conscience to campaigning on human rights issues generally. It seems John Waters is only realising this now.
    I guess people have different perceptions of what constitutes human rights. I would not see abortion as a human right and I would not see same sex marraige as a human right. That doesn't mean other people don't have the right to hold that view.

However Amnesty, as a brand, has moved a considerable distance from the vision of its founding fathers. I don't see the problem in pointing that out to people.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

By the way, you can read Waters piece here, and Quinn's piece here

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast