Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 54

Thread: Genuine Right Wing Republican/Nationalist Party Necessary(in NI) to stimulate debate

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    16,484
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Default Genuine Right Wing Republican/Nationalist Party Necessary(in NI) to stimulate debate

    There is a need for the emergence of a right wing Republican/Nationalist party to emerge in Northern Ireland.

    It is necessary to engage the established Republican/Nationalist parties in debate on economic, social and cultural issues.
    The emergence of such a party would stop the existing parties from being all things to all people.
    The existing parties could not have the same policies as the right wing party and still claim its left wing credentials. The existing parties could no longer perch on the fence on the many issues that they do.
    In essence we need the contrast to see what our parties actually do stand for.

    It would also be advantageous to the cause of Irish Nationalism/Republicanism(right wing?) if a party of the right was putting forth convincing arguments for the unification of the Island. This party would have a hard road to travel but it seems to me that its emergence is the only way to clarify what the existing parties actually believe in.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Panopticon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Northern politics is "uni-axial". There is no "political compass". Unionists tend strongly to align with "right-wing" politics and nationalists tend to align strongly with "left-wing" politics. Given that nationalists are the minority, it's hard to see what kind of political space the proposed party would occupy.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,387
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blinding View Post
    There is a need for the emergence of a right wing Republican/Nationalist party to emerge in Northern Ireland.

    It is necessary to engage the established Republican/Nationalist parties in debate on economic, social and cultural issues.
    The emergence of such a party would stop the existing parties from being all things to all people.
    The existing parties could not have the same policies as the right wing party and still claim its left wing credentials. The existing parties could no longer perch on the fence on the many issues that they do.
    In essence we need the contrast to see what our parties actually do stand for.

    It would also be advantageous to the cause of Irish Nationalism/Republicanism(right wing?) if a party of the right was putting forth convincing arguments for the unification of the Island. This party would have a hard road to travel but it seems to me that its emergence is the only way to clarify what the existing parties actually believe in.
    Enter FF or FG....

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Young Ned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Enter FF or FG....
    Presumably the problem is that they aren't nationalist enough. Also, while they are (FG, esp) to the right of SF, do you really think either one of those parties qualifies as 'right wing'?

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    16,484
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Young Ned View Post
    Presumably the problem is that they aren't nationalist enough. Also, while they are (FG, esp) to the right of SF, do you really think either one of those parties qualifies as 'right wing'?
    They certainly are lip-service national/republican parties at best.

    They are also parties that try to be all things to all people.

    So many of our political parties are like this that there is no genunine debate between them.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member ArtyQueing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Glens of Antrim
    Posts
    302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    A relative of mine is very active in promoting FF in the occupied territories and he seems to be very hopeful saying that there are a number of grassroots developments in progress and they should be bearing good fruit shortly, although to be fair he says that the party has been concentrating on the global recession lately and this has slowed down the project a bit as attention and resources have been understandably diverted, but nonetheless things are continuously moving forward with local people taking charge backed up by Dublin where appropriate.

    There is room for a less left wing nationallist party than SF, (SDLP is now not worth discussing), as the left wing lurch of that party since the hunger strike and the resulting centralism based around connolly house has alienated many - especially in the rural areas. Why do they still vote for SF? - the answer is loyalty to the greater picture.

    I urge all who wish to join Fianna Fail in the occupied terriories to get in toouch and I will forward their details to the cousin.
    "You Popish rogue" 'ní leomhaid a labhairt sinn
    acht "Cromwellian dog" is focal faire againn
    nó "cia súd thall" go eann gan eagla
    "Mise Tadhg" géadh teinn an t-agallamh

    Bodaigh an Cháise táid go hatuireach
    ag filleadh ar a gcéird gach spéice smeartha aca
    gan ghunna, gan chloidheamh gan pinnse chleachtadar
    d'imthigh a mbrígh is tá an cridhe dá ghreada aca.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    16,484
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Perhaps FF/FG could add to the debate but they have zero credentials on the unification question.

    Both of these parties manage to pull off that trick of being all things to all people.

    Ideally a right of centre Nationalist/Republican party will emerge that is willing to show what they stand for on social, cultural and economic issues.
    This party can put forward credible reasons why Unity of the Island is advantageous from a right of centre political perspective.

    It is with the emergence of such a party that the nationalist/republican aspiration for unity will have matured to the stage where it will be at the centre of our political agenda.

    It is only with the emergence of such a party that we will force the other parties to show us with clarity what their policies are.

    Due to the lack of a political oponent the existing parties are resting on their laurels.

    Political parties like many things in life need competition to keep them on their toes.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member ArtyQueing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Glens of Antrim
    Posts
    302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blinding View Post
    Perhaps FF/FG could add to the debate but they have zero credentials on the unification question.

    Both of these parties manage to pull off that trick of being all things to all people.

    Ideally a right of centre Nationalist/Republican party will emerge that is willing to show what they stand for on social, cultural and economic issues.
    This party can put forward credible reasons why Unity of the Island is advantageous from a right of centre political perspective.

    It is with the emergence of such a party that the nationalist/republican aspiration for unity will have matured to the stage where it will be at the centre of our political agenda.

    It is only with the emergence of such a party that we will force the other parties to show us with clarity what their policies are.

    Due to the lack of a political oponent the existing parties are resting on their laurels.

    Political parties like many things in life need competition to keep them on their toes.
    I agree tha there is a lot of hot air expressed about reunification by members of FF and FG. There is no doubt of that and a bit of wrapping the green flag around me has never done any harm at the hustings however that changes when you have cumann established throughout the country. It changes everything entirely as it means that the balance of power within the party changes, the party cannot adopt a policy of what is good for 26 counties but will be forced into a 32 county mentality, and, what is more fun, it means that the unionists have to engage and cooperate with a true all-Ireland party with an all-Ireland agenda. SF cannot do this as it simply does not have enough strength throughout the nation although this may change. Now when you start to think the effect that a party sitting in Stormont that has the power of veto over all legislative and administrative measures enacted their which is against the interests of all of Ireland you have a new reality which divisionism will have great difficulty with as it means the raison d-etre for the border is defunct.

    To be honest their is no room for a new party, the IIP were wiped out when SF took to the field and I have been told that McGeough was actively interested in starting a party but it did not materialise, (possibly due to his outrageous arrest by the enemy), the best way forward is for all parties who wish to be true national organisations to organise throughout the nation and stop being provincials.
    "You Popish rogue" 'ní leomhaid a labhairt sinn
    acht "Cromwellian dog" is focal faire againn
    nó "cia súd thall" go eann gan eagla
    "Mise Tadhg" géadh teinn an t-agallamh

    Bodaigh an Cháise táid go hatuireach
    ag filleadh ar a gcéird gach spéice smeartha aca
    gan ghunna, gan chloidheamh gan pinnse chleachtadar
    d'imthigh a mbrígh is tá an cridhe dá ghreada aca.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    16,484
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyQueing View Post
    I agree tha there is a lot of hot air expressed about reunification by members of FF and FG. There is no doubt of that and a bit of wrapping the green flag around me has never done any harm at the hustings however that changes when you have cumann established throughout the country. It changes everything entirely as it means that the balance of power within the party changes, the party cannot adopt a policy of what is good for 26 counties but will be forced into a 32 county mentality, and, what is more fun, it means that the unionists have to engage and cooperate with a true all-Ireland party with an all-Ireland agenda. SF cannot do this as it simply does not have enough strength throughout the nation although this may change. Now when you start to think the effect that a party sitting in Stormont that has the power of veto over all legislative and administrative measures enacted their which is against the interests of all of Ireland you have a new reality which divisionism will have great difficulty with as it means the raison d-etre for the border is defunct.

    To be honest their is no room for a new party, the IIP were wiped out when SF took to the field and I have been told that McGeough was actively interested in starting a party but it did not materialise, (possibly due to his outrageous arrest by the enemy), the best way forward is for all parties who wish to be true national organisations to organise throughout the nation and stop being provincials.
    FF have been talking about organising in NI for as long as I can remember and it always turns out to be hot air.
    FG though supposedly a united Ireland party have done even less(if thats possible) than FFto move towards unity.

    Neither of these parties have any credibility with regard to social, economic or cultural issues in NI.

    IF they had genuine policies they may be able to stimulate Sinn Féin and the SDLP(if they are still alive) but I am afraid that they are asleep on yet another issue.
    "Quelle Surprise"

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Newbie flamez911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Why do nationalists need a third party to split their vote even more? Is there some quota which we're not matching now that Jim Allister has gone and made a third unionist party? Nationalists are mainly left-wing, and anyway, since when have issues other than nationalism/unionism ever had any sway over anyone in the North?
    If you remove the English army tomorrow and hoist the green flag over Dublin Castle, unless you set about the organisation of the Socialist Republic your efforts would be in vain.[...]

    It would be tantamount to a public declaration that our oppressors had so far succeeded in inoculating us with their perverted conceptions of justice and morality that we had finally decided to accept those conceptions as our own, and no longer needed an alien army to force them upon us.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •