Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: The reopening of the Cork-Midleton railway line

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cork South Central - Cork SE LEA
    Posts
    2,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default The reopening of the Cork-Midleton railway line

    Plenty of stories in the media today

    RT News: Service begins on Cork-Midleton line
    New Cork-Midleton rail line to be opened today | BreakingNews.ie
    Cork-Midleton rail line opens - The Irish Times - Thu, Jul 30, 2009

    It's hardly news, it's been so well flagged in advance, but maybe we should take any opportunity to talk about a story that isn't complete doom and gloom.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mostly in Europe
    Posts
    398
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Its a big pricetag, but apart from that I reckon it has to be capable of taking a lot of traffic off the road. Nice one!

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cork South Central - Cork SE LEA
    Posts
    2,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    It baffles me how the price tag ever got so high.

    It's only a 10km extension, it's single-track and the land it was built on was already in state hands. But I guess overpaying for things like that was part of what this country was back then.

    It's a pity the rest of the project (new stations in Dunkettle, Blackpool and Blarney) is on hold because of budget cutbacks, but seeing as those are new stations on existing lines, it shouldn't be too much hassle to get them built in the medium-term future.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    This side of the ground
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I vaguely travelling from Kent to Youghal on a train, you are right its good news.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mostly in Europe
    Posts
    398
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by locke View Post
    It baffles me how the price tag ever got so high.

    It's only a 10km extension, it's single-track and the land it was built on was already in state hands. But I guess overpaying for things like that was part of what this country was back then.

    It's a pity the rest of the project (new stations in Dunkettle, Blackpool and Blarney) is on hold because of budget cutbacks, but seeing as those are new stations on existing lines, it shouldn't be too much hassle to get them built in the medium-term future.
    Single line track you say, is there room to lay more track in the future if required?
    The plan is for extension to Youghal in the distant future, no?

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cork South Central - Cork SE LEA
    Posts
    2,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The land out to Youghal is being retained and the County Council have agreed not to give planning permission for anything to be built within 10m of it. I don't think there's any definite plans to do anything yet.

    I was a bit surprised by the single-track too, but it keeps the cost down. However, they say they can run a train every 15 minutes on it, so combining that with the possibility for longer trains, it would be possible to increase the start-up capacity six-fold. It would be surprising if it ever became that heavily used, but I guess if it did, the investment to double-tracking would become self-justifying (if a bit of a pain when they hit the point when they need to lay a new track).
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cork South Central - Cork SE LEA
    Posts
    2,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Day 1 is not going well...

    40 minute delays because of overcrowding.

    Perhaps they shouldn't have made it free for the day.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member seabhcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    14,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    7.5m per km

    Or about 5 times more expensive per km than the Limerick-Galway link due to open in September.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mostly in Europe
    Posts
    398
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    7.5m per km

    Or about 5 times more expensive per km than the Limerick-Galway link due to open in September.
    Yeah, on the face of it, its a phenomonal price per km. Im sure someone can justify it somewhere. Extension to youghal if it came in at a realistic price might balance it a little.
    Id imagine though that now we will see the doubling of services to Little Island and Glounthane as they also have Cobh trains passing.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Grumpy Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    6,080
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by absconded View Post
    Yeah, on the face of it, its a phenomonal price per km. Im sure someone can justify it somewhere. Extension to youghal if it came in at a realistic price might balance it a little.
    Id imagine though that now we will see the doubling of services to Little Island and Glounthane as they also have Cobh trains passing.
    Is this the same absconded who opposes building Metro North?

    Now advocating building a rail line through an area with a relatively low population, relative to Ballymun or Swords that is.

    Interesting. Do you live in East Cork, per chance?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •