Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Hurleys are Not an Offensive Weapon"

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default "Hurleys are Not an Offensive Weapon"

A Derry youth threatened with arrest for possession of a hurl has recieved an apology from the police and his family have been told that all officers are to be informed that hurls are not offensive weapons.

Irish News: Officers to be told: ‘Hurleys are not offensive weapons’

Such progress eh !

Fair play to the youth for standing his ground when faced with arrest for indulging in his chosen sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But being a nationalist is still a hazordous pass time

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Indeed it is mutley but a pass time more and more popular in the O6.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Imagine if an Englishman was arrested for carrying a cricket bat to his local pitch - it just wouldnt happen.

The officer who done this should have been disciplined, it was abuse of authority to attempt to arrest a nationalist because of your sectarian views about their sports.
    Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers.

yea i mean how could anyone take a teenager standing with a large wooden bat as a threat? i'm going to stand outside now on the street with a baseball bat but don't worry baseball is not an offensive sport

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by st333ve View Post
    Imagine if an Englishman was arrested for carrying a cricket bat to his local pitch - it just wouldnt happen.

The officer who done this should have been disciplined, it was abuse of authority to attempt to arrest a nationalist because of your sectarian views about their sports.
    Even if we give the police officer the benefit of the doubt, it is ridiculous that the police force dont recognise a piece of sporting equipment used by a large percentage of the community.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by orange-unionist View Post
    yea i mean how could anyone take a teenager standing with a large wooden bat as a threat? i'm going to stand outside now on the street with a baseball bat but don't worry baseball is not an offensive sport

Bring a baseball and a fielding glove with you and stand in an open green and any sensible person will realise you are playing baseball.

This youth in Derry was playing his chosen sport in an open green and had a sliothar with him. Any sensible person should realise he was playing hurley.

The police and yourself do not seem to have any sense.
    Last edited by the_moss; 24th July 2009 at 05:13 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He should have told them it was a big wooden spoon.
    A champion of the people emerges with the age-old and appealing promise of "something for nothing" - to be financed through every-increasing taxes. Supply and demand are thrown out of gear - the overhead goes up; the effective use of human energy goes down; the standard of living is lowered because money cannot buy wealth that is not produced.

WEAVER, HENRY GRADY,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by orange-unionist View Post
    I don't recall Upperlands having a baseball team but Swatragh do have a hurling team.

"I don't recall Upperlands having a baseball team but Swatragh do have a hurling team."
    see that's because sport is underprivileged in protestant areas...only joking

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast