Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are Irish newspapers so expensive - is the bubble about to burst?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why are Irish newspapers so expensive - is the bubble about to burst?

The price of Irish newspapers(ROI) is crazy. The 3 main daily newspapers(Irish Independent, Irish Times & Irish Examiner) are far too expensive(€1.80 for a daily newspaper) . They have not brought down their prices, yet they continuously lecture everyone else about bringing down prices. An average newspaper in the North, Irish News, Belfast Telegraph etc , can be bought for 65pence(€0.75). This is nearly 60% cheaper than newspapers in the South. How can Irish newspaper publishers justify the difference in cost? I'm very surprised there hasn't been a newspaper price war in the South. I wonder is there an unofficial cartel in operation? Maybe the Competition Authority should investigate the Irish newspaper industry?
    Last edited by NapperTandy; 22nd July 2009 at 06:42 PM. Reason: add detail

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Many regional banners (and national) are on the brink.

More than anything, I wish the Irish Times would feck off and die.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tabloids for the win.
    Mirror a euro, Sun currently 90c.
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkinner View Post
    Tabloids for the win.
    Mirror a euro, Sun currently 90c.
    Even they are expensive prices compared to U.K tabloids. The Daily Star in the U.K is currently selling at 20pence (€0.23). I mean the broadsheets more than the tabloids. a good broadsheet in the South should be selling for no more than €1.20.

Politics.ie Member sauntersplash's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, this bubble is about to burst. The medium is dead. Reporting in print is on the whole unreliable, subjective and cowardly as far as I can see.

If you enjoy mawkish opinion pieces by ignorant rabble rousers, or like to keep on top of Jennifer Anistons love life, grab a subscription. If not, look elsewhere for your news. Preferably to a person who isn't owned by a global corporation.
    "No." - Rosa Parks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NapperTandy View Post
    The price of Irish newspapers(ROI) is crazy. The 3 main daily newspapers are far too expensive(€1.80 for a daily newspaper) . They have not brought down their prices, yet they continuously lecture everyone else about bringing down prices. An average newspaper in the North, Irish News, Belfast Telegraph etc , can be bought for 65pence(€0.75). This is nearly 60% cheaper than newspapers in the South. How can Irish newspaper publishers justify the difference in cost? I'm very surprised there hasn't been a newspaper price war in the South. I wonder is there an unofficial cartel in operation? Maybe the Competition Authority should investigate the Irish newspaper industry?
    Irish Times has bureaux in several foreign countries and a bigger journalistic bench than the Northern papers. I can't explain the Irish Independent.

It must be said, of course, that prices much lower than those charged at the moment would drive a lot of papers into heavy loss-making territory. The Becker-Posner Blog has suggested that the current economic crisis will be a major blow to the future of newspapers.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Even they are expensive prices compared to U.K tabloids. The Daily Star in the U.K is currently selling at 20pence (€0.23). I mean the broadsheets more than the tabloids. a good broadsheet in the South should be selling for no more than €1.20.
    Why should papers in the likes of Cork and Kerry be cheaper than Dublin?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Obviously selling at 20p is a below-cost exercise aimed at drumming up new readers (readers of papers are notoriously slow to try others, despite the crapness of some papers, the Irish Times being the classic example in Ireland).
    That's not a real price to compare with. Equally, VAT applies here and not in Britain or the North. And there are economies of scale to consider too, with higher fixed costs and smaller readerships in Ireland.
    All that factored in, most Irish papers are reasonable value for what they are. But obviously the tabloids are the best value, and at around a euro, offer splendid value compared to many other items. (How much is a mars bar, an apple or a can of coke in a city centre shop these days?)
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbysands81 View Post
    Why should papers in the likes of Cork and Kerry be cheaper than Dublin?
    Why shouldn't they be cheaper? It is a lot cheaper to run a regional newspaper than a national newspaper. The (Cork) Examiner(€1.80) is far too expensive compared to the price of the Irish News(€0.75)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkinner View Post
    Obviously selling at 20p is a below-cost exercise aimed at drumming up new readers (readers of papers are notoriously slow to try others, despite the crapness of some papers, the Irish Times being the classic example in Ireland).
    That's not a real price to compare with. Equally, VAT applies here and not in Britain or the North. And there are economies of scale to consider too, with higher fixed costs and smaller readerships in Ireland.
    All that factored in, most Irish papers are reasonable value for what they are. But obviously the tabloids are the best value, and at around a euro, offer splendid value compared to many other items. (How much is a mars bar, an apple or a can of coke in a city centre shop these days?)
    Irish Examiner €1.80

Irish News €0.75

Belfast Telegraph €0.75 (currency exchange rate)

How can you explain this price difference? Are the Irish News and Belfast Telegraph selling their newspapers at a loss?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast