Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grocery prices coming down, Tesco still overcharging in half of all stores...

Politics.ie Member seabhac siulach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Grocery prices coming down, Tesco still overcharging in half of all stores...

According to the quango to beat all quangos, the National Consumer Agency (NCA), food prices have dropped considerably during the first 6 months of the year. [And thank God we have a quango like the NCA to tell us things like this, earning their salaries one and all...]

Grocery prices survey July 2009

What is interesting is the information included on Tesco's apparent reluctance to lower its prices across all its stores, i.e., not just those near the border. Apparently, it is "Tesco's stated policy of adopting their new pricing model throughout the country by the end of August." . So no rush there (and no let up for consumers in the South of the country until then).

The report states:
    "Approximately half of Tesco stores have not yet switched over to the new pricing policy, therefore consumers in a large proportion of the country cannot currently avail of the lower prices...
    Interestingly, Tesco stores where it is not running its 'Change for Good' programme are now the most expensive."

So much for 'change for good'...the unchanging rip-off continues...

It is interesting also that Dunnes appears to be giving Tesco a run for its, eh, money, without introducing non-Irish branded lines. Of course, the NCA does not make any comment on this, nor on Tesco's use of non-Irish branded items in its Change For Good programme.

It would appear from this report, in any case, that further falls in consumer prices are likely, especially from August onwards when Tesco's Change For Good programme is eventually applied across the whole country. Until then, of course, Tesco can get another month of profit gouging from the good people of the south of Ireland...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well simple answer. Stop whinging and shop somewhere else.

Politics.ie Member seabhac siulach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robert151410 View Post
    Well simple answer. Stop whinging and shop somewhere else.
    Not whingeing...merely informing. For the record, I never shop in Tescos. Every little helps...to reduce their profits...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

People I speak to are beginning to realise that Tesco is overpriced compared to other supermarkets, hopefully this trend continues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Right, thanks for the thread. I was just thinking of putting up a thread on this. I went to do a shop in one of the 'changed' prices Tesco a few weeks ago and only seen a difference in some things in fact some other items such as milk had actually gone up but I don't think that is down to Tesco but it could be. Anyway I did a shop in Bandbridge to compare and they are still cheaper. In fact do you know what annoyed me about the Tesco down here since the change was that the cheaper stuff was all English products. Why can't they bring down the prices on our own produce here? They had stuff like Cumberland sausage rolls. Alot of other English produce that I can't think of now but instead of the prices matching the English Tesco prices they just brought down aload of English produce. Don't figure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Irish View Post
    Right, thanks for the thread. I was just thinking of putting up a thread on this. I went to do a shop in one of the 'changed' prices Tesco a few weeks ago and only seen a difference in some things in fact some other items such as milk had actually gone up but I don't think that is down to Tesco but it could be. Anyway I did a shop in Bandbridge to compare and they are still cheaper. In fact do you know what annoyed me about the Tesco down here since the change was that the cheaper stuff was all English products. Why can't they bring down the prices on our own produce here? They had stuff like Cumberland sausage rolls. Alot of other English produce that I can't think of now but instead of the prices matching the English Tesco prices they just brought down aload of English produce. Don't figure
    Farmers and suppliers are already complaining about being squeezed. UK farmers offer produce at a lower price.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Aldi says it will donate the money to SVP.Nice gesture.
    "You think thats bad,theres one lunatic that posts on there 40-50 times a day..He's alone..in bad company!

Aldi and Supervalu for me. When I'm in Supervalu, I scour the place for bogof deals. Recently scored toothpaste, shampoo and deodorant for less than half price.

Wouldn't venture near tesco's anymore.
    A few weeks before my grandfather died, he started dipping his feet in a bucket of lard.
    He went downhill very fast after that.

You say overcharging , is there price fixing by government or something ?Tesco's can charge wht they like in different shops , its up to the people to look around for value.
    Quote Originally Posted by seabhac siulach View Post
    According to the quango to beat all quangos, the National Consumer Agency (NCA), food prices have dropped considerably during the first 6 months of the year. [And thank God we have a quango like the NCA to tell us things like this, earning their salaries one and all...]

Grocery prices survey July 2009

What is interesting is the information included on Tesco's apparent reluctance to lower its prices across all its stores, i.e., not just those near the border. Apparently, it is "Tesco's stated policy of adopting their new pricing model throughout the country by the end of August." . So no rush there (and no let up for consumers in the South of the country until then).

The report states:
    "Approximately half of Tesco stores have not yet switched over to the new pricing policy, therefore consumers in a large proportion of the country cannot currently avail of the lower prices...
    Interestingly, Tesco stores where it is not running its 'Change for Good' programme are now the most expensive."

So much for 'change for good'...the unchanging rip-off continues...

It is interesting also that Dunnes appears to be giving Tesco a run for its, eh, money, without introducing non-Irish branded lines. Of course, the NCA does not make any comment on this, nor on Tesco's use of non-Irish branded items in its Change For Good programme.

It would appear from this report, in any case, that further falls in consumer prices are likely, especially from August onwards when Tesco's Change For Good programme is eventually applied across the whole country. Until then, of course, Tesco can get another month of profit gouging from the good people of the south of Ireland...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast