Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 71

Thread: God, Christianity and the EU

  1. #1
    Guest

    Default God, Christianity and the EU

    http://euobserver.com/9/22384

    Amen to that, Frau Merkel. Europe was born out of Christendom. Christianity is our heritage. One needn't be a practising Christian to appreciate this fact. Europe's Christian origins should be acknowledged in any future EU constitutional treaty.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    427
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: God, Christianity and the EU

    Quote Originally Posted by asteroid
    Europe's Christian origins should be acknowledged in any future EU constitutional treaty.
    Putting aside any debate as to what Europe's origins are, why would the EU put such a thing in a constitution?

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Munion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dublin West
    Posts
    318
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The group will instead identify the values that drove the EU's founding fathers and which can be "linked to Christian faith" - such as peace, freedom, a rejection of extreme nationalism, solidarity, respect for diversity and subsidiarity (the idea that political decisions should be taken at the lowest possible level).
    Well those things are all pretty admirable values imo.
    Freedom, Tolerance & Equality of Opportunity

    Economic Left/Right: -1.25
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.33

  4. #4
    Guest

    Default

    To Pidge: Because it aspires to unite Europe in more than just an economic union? A social and cultural union. Some think that the only cultural mentifact common to all EU member states is their Christian heritage. It all depends on how you view the EU I suppose, and what you'd like it to be.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    427
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Munion
    The group will instead identify the values that drove the EU's founding fathers and which can be "linked to Christian faith" - such as peace, freedom, a rejection of extreme nationalism, solidarity, respect for diversity and subsidiarity (the idea that political decisions should be taken at the lowest possible level).
    Well those things are all pretty admirable values imo.
    But they're just taking things which are nice and cuddly and saying that they came from Christianity. It's mad.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member cyberianpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Wherever I can see
    Posts
    16,729
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default



    A constitution is not a history book, items in it ought have some tangible practical purpose: what would be the actions forthcoming from putting the Christian God into the constitution?

    cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    427
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asteroid
    To Pidge: Because it aspires to unite Europe in more than just an economic union? A social and cultural union. Some think that the only cultural mentifact common to all EU member states is their Christian heritage. It all depends on how you view the EU I suppose, and what you'd like it to be.
    But what would such a reference actually do? This is what confuses me.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Munion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dublin West
    Posts
    318
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    We should be defining what holds Europe together at a basic cultural level. The commonalities that exist in our mind sets from Dublin to Athens and everywhere in between.

    We are all, without exception, predominantly Christian countries and this is the foundation upon which our common values and beliefs are built.
    Freedom, Tolerance & Equality of Opportunity

    Economic Left/Right: -1.25
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.33

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    427
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Munion
    We should be defining what holds Europe together at a basic cultural level. The commonalities that exist in our mind sets from Dublin to Athens and everywhere in between.
    With an outdated defintion? Again, why? What purpose would it serve other than to annoy people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Munion
    We are all, without exception, predominantly Christian countries and this is the foundation upon which our common values and beliefs are built.
    I disagree. Values come from a variety of sources - religion is only one of those.

  10. #10
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pidge
    Quote Originally Posted by asteroid
    To Pidge: Because it aspires to unite Europe in more than just an economic union? A social and cultural union. Some think that the only cultural mentifact common to all EU member states is their Christian heritage. It all depends on how you view the EU I suppose, and what you'd like it to be.
    But what would such a reference actually do? This is what confuses me.
    It signifies an emotional attachment to our past. It should remind EU citizens that we actually do inhabit a common European home, a home the foundations of which were built upon Christianity. That's the reason, I suppose. That we don't forget from where we have come.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •