Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: God, Christianity and the EU

Default God, Christianity and the EU

http://euobserver.com/9/22384

Amen to that, Frau Merkel. Europe was born out of Christendom. Christianity is our heritage. One needn't be a practising Christian to appreciate this fact. Europe's Christian origins should be acknowledged in any future EU constitutional treaty.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: God, Christianity and the EU

Quote Originally Posted by asteroid
    Europe's Christian origins should be acknowledged in any future EU constitutional treaty.
    Putting aside any debate as to what Europe's origins are, why would the EU put such a thing in a constitution?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The group will instead identify the values that drove the EU's founding fathers and which can be "linked to Christian faith" - such as peace, freedom, a rejection of extreme nationalism, solidarity, respect for diversity and subsidiarity (the idea that political decisions should be taken at the lowest possible level).
    Well those things are all pretty admirable values imo.
    Freedom, Tolerance & Equality of Opportunity

Economic Left/Right: -1.25
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.33

To Pidge: Because it aspires to unite Europe in more than just an economic union? A social and cultural union. Some think that the only cultural mentifact common to all EU member states is their Christian heritage. It all depends on how you view the EU I suppose, and what you'd like it to be.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Munion
    The group will instead identify the values that drove the EU's founding fathers and which can be "linked to Christian faith" - such as peace, freedom, a rejection of extreme nationalism, solidarity, respect for diversity and subsidiarity (the idea that political decisions should be taken at the lowest possible level).
    Well those things are all pretty admirable values imo.
    But they're just taking things which are nice and cuddly and saying that they came from Christianity. It's mad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A constitution is not a history book, items in it ought have some tangible practical purpose: what would be the actions forthcoming from putting the Christian God into the constitution?

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To Pidge: Because it aspires to unite Europe in more than just an economic union? A social and cultural union. Some think that the only cultural mentifact common to all EU member states is their Christian heritage. It all depends on how you view the EU I suppose, and what you'd like it to be.
    But what would such a reference actually do? This is what confuses me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We should be defining what holds Europe together at a basic cultural level. The commonalities that exist in our mind sets from Dublin to Athens and everywhere in between.

We are all, without exception, predominantly Christian countries and this is the foundation upon which our common values and beliefs are built.
    Freedom, Tolerance & Equality of Opportunity

Economic Left/Right: -1.25
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.33

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We should be defining what holds Europe together at a basic cultural level. The commonalities that exist in our mind sets from Dublin to Athens and everywhere in between.
    With an outdated defintion? Again, why? What purpose would it serve other than to annoy people?

We are all, without exception, predominantly Christian countries and this is the foundation upon which our common values and beliefs are built.
    I disagree. Values come from a variety of sources - religion is only one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Pidge
    But what would such a reference actually do? This is what confuses me.
    It signifies an emotional attachment to our past. It should remind EU citizens that we actually do inhabit a common European home, a home the foundations of which were built upon Christianity. That's the reason, I suppose. That we don't forget from where we have come.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast