Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: An Bord Snip proposes cutting local government to just 22 Councils

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default An Bord Snip proposes cutting local government to just 22 Councils

No sooner have we elected over 100 County, City and Town Councils than An Bord Snip proposes their virtual eradication - not that I disagree with them in the main. All Town and City Councils are to go with the exception of Dublin City Council. But it also proposes the merger of Sligo/Leitrim and Carlow/Kilkenny as single Councils. The last bit I would disagree with but I do think the number of Cllrs should be reduced to better reflect their population. This will be one of the more radical proposals that will cause controversy in the report.
    Merger of local bodies and €1.5bn in welfare cuts proposed - The Irish Times - Thu, Jul 16, 2009

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kerrynorth View Post
    No sooner have we elected over 100 County, City and Town Councils than An Bord Snip proposes their virtual eradication - not that I disagree with them in the main. All Town and City Councils are to go with the exception of Dublin City Council. But it also proposes the merger of Sligo/Leitrim and Carlow/Kilkenny as single Councils. The last bit I would not disagree with but I so think the number of Cllrs should be reduced to better reflect their population. This will be one of the more radical proposals that will cause controversy in the report.
    Merger of local bodies and €1.5bn in welfare cuts proposed - The Irish Times - Thu, Jul 16, 2009
    It is sensible. Personally, I only see the need for one council in the midlands i.e. Laois, Offaly, Longford, Westmeath. We dont have the population to justify more than that.

Town councils are one of the most ridiculous wastes of money ever. In Offaly Tullamore, Edenderry and Birr have them but they are all only glorified villages.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its a sound idea . The situation in Limerick is a joke , with three councils covering one modest urban area . They should have one greater Limerick authority and scale back the shennanigans in Clare and county Limerick .

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't see why any county councils should be merged, bearing in mind this affects my own county, though the town councils can go I suppose, except in good-sized towns.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If this were implemented the jockeying for position for jobs where you will have 2 or 3 incumbents chasing one post will be a sight to behold.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No sooner have we elected over 100 County, City and Town Councils than An Bord Snip proposes their virtual eradication - not that I disagree with them in the main. All Town and City Councils are to go with the exception of Dublin City Council. But it also proposes the merger of Sligo/Leitrim and Carlow/Kilkenny as single Councils. The last bit I would disagree with but I do think the number of Cllrs should be reduced to better reflect their population. This will be one of the more radical proposals that will cause controversy in the report.
    Makes somewhat sense to me from my prior Cork Local Gov Posts .... I personally think ALL Town Councils should disappear and the County Council structure be radically changed to allow for this, with an increase of County Cllrs if needs be proportionate to the population....

Simple local example;

LEA = Macroom Electoral Area (Cork)

4 County Cllrs (to cover the entire LEA incl the gi-normous sprawl that is Ballincollig)

9 Cllrs to cover Macroom Town Council

What a joke .... obvious solution is get rid of Macroom Town Council and increase the 4 County Cllrs if necessary to cover the entire LEA to include both the rural and the urban

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lots of good stuff in there.

Most of it radical, some of it tough, but all of it needed.
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." Mark Twain

“When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.” Napoléon Bonaparte

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Merging Cork City and County

I really don't see why Cork City and County would be merged, yet they are keeping no 4 Dublin local authorities which could be slimmed down to perhaps 2. The population stats simply do not add up.

Source 2006 Census:

Cork City and County represent 480,909 people
    County : 361,776
    City : 119,143

Dublin:

Fingal : 239813
    Dublin City : 505739
    South County Dublin : 246,919
    Dun L / Rathdown : 193,688

You could merge South County Dublin and Dun L / Rathdown.
    + Fingal and the City Council.

Cork on the other hand could possibly do with a serious increase in the size of the city council i.e. taking in the entire city hinterland. Reduce the number of county councilors, and add a smaller number of city councilors.

As it stands, the County Council is duplicating (badly) many services which could be provided much more efficiently by the city council as it's all geared-up for urban activities.

The county council should really only be dealing with the genuine rural areas of County Cork, not the city's suburbs and immediate hinterland.

I'd propose creating Cork Metropolitian Area Council to run Cork City, Suburbs, the entire harbour area (including Cobh, Passagewest etc), south cork (including Carrigaline), Ballingcollig, Blarney, Glanmire, Middleton.. basically the entire area that is currently within the (021) telephone area code.

It could be an opportunity to slash costs, by removing duplication of services and seriously reducing admin overheads.

Also, slash the number of City / County councillors and create 2 positions of Mayor. Directly elected, with executive powers.

Cork Metro Area Mayor
    Cork County Mayor.

I would see a major problem just merging the City and County Councils however as they have totally different issues. The County Council should really be doing rural affairs issues and the City/Metro Council - urban/suburban/commuter issues. Quite different constituencies!

Likewise in Dublin, mayor(s) could replace perhaps 50% of the councilors. Perhaps keep the existing councils bodies and just have executive, directly elected mayors. Although, I doubt you really need two south county Dublin councils, unless they perhaps merge one of them with 'near Wicklow' or 'Near Kildare'
    Last edited by slx; 16th July 2009 at 02:29 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Well View Post
    Simple local example;

LEA = Macroom Electoral Area (Cork)

4 County Cllrs (to cover the entire LEA incl the gi-normous sprawl that is Ballincollig)

9 Cllrs to cover Macroom Town Council

What a joke .... obvious solution is get rid of Macroom Town Council and increase the 4 County Cllrs if necessary to cover the entire LEA to include both the rural and the urban
    The County Council LEA already includes the Town Council population as well. I agree that the Town/County Council system is crazy with 2 separate administrations delivering separate services to the same area. Although in reality the Town Councils are virtual subsidiaries of their parent County Council delivering rates to the County Council through the County Demand.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If this were implemented the jockeying for position for jobs where you will have 2 or 3 incumbents chasing one post will be a sight to behold.
    We could make some money by selling the tv rights.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast