Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ahern: Property speculators 'should be taxed out of existenc

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ahern: Property speculators 'should be taxed out of existenc

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/08/30/story274626.html

From the party that is responsible for the great pyramid scheme, soon to collapse!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Ahern: Property speculators 'should be taxed out of exis

Quote Originally Posted by FakeViking
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/08/30/story274626.html

From the party that is responsible for the great pyramid scheme, soon to collapse!
    Maybe the Government should look at its policies and step back a little. Maybe Ahern should think before he speaks.

Maybe they should do something more about Stamp Duty imposed on Buyers, including first time buyers. When if you buy a Site to build your first time home and build on it yourself, ie get a Builder to build for you or direct labour, you pay basically 9% Stamp Duty on the market value of the Site if over 150000 Site value (most Sites with planning are over this amount).

Maybe they should sort out the situation where a First Time Buyer in a Housing Estate thinks there is no Stamp Duty as the House is under FLoor Area size (125 square metres - a modest house) but there is, if there is no Floor Area Compliance Certificate available at purchase. Whereas, with Houses in Housing Estates over Floor Area size there can be exemption from Stamp Duty with a simple Engineer's letter saying it is over 125 sq metres.

Maybe they should have let the First Time Buyers Grant alone. It wasn't huge, but it meant a lot to people to get something towards their first purpose, to buy furniture or whatever.

Maybe they shouldn't have raised VAT from 12.5 to 13.5%. Builders have passed this on to the Buyers.

Maybe Ahern has forgotton the massive revenue the Gov is getting from Stamp Duty imposed on property investors and also the Capital Gains Tax revenue it is getting.

Maybe the Gov should sort out its own house before making stupid comments like this and passing on the buck to others and trying to hide its own failings.
    I'm back after a self-enforced exile

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

By the way, what is this thread doing in the Northern Ireland Forum?
    I'm back after a self-enforced exile

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just love the way a minister, A MINISTER, talks as if "someone in authorty should do something!" That's a Fianna Fail trick that continues to work time and time again.
    Centre right Liberal. Paddy Ashdown with an aircraft carrier.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd
    I just love the way a minister, A MINISTER, talks as if "someone in authority should do something!" That's a Fianna Fail trick that continues to work time and time again.

Yeah what a laugh. That particular horse has bolted long time. And the idea of pumping more liquidity into the shambles by cutting taxes and introducing grants again is not a good idea. At the moment at least some of the funny money is landing up in the governments coffers. FF have brought this nation to the brink of economic ruination.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ponzi

Yeah what a laugh. That particular horse has bolted long time. And the idea of pumping more liquidity into the shambles by cutting taxes and introducing grants again is not a good idea. At the moment at least some of the funny money is landing up in the governments coffers. FF have brought this nation to the brink of economic ruination.

You seem determined to grasp failure from the jaws of success.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiker
    Well, if teetering on the edge of the greatest asset bubble crash in Irish economic history is this Government's definition of "success".....
    Je suis un loo-lah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just love the way a minister, A MINISTER, talks as if "someone in authorty should do something!" That's a Fianna Fail trick that continues to work time and time again.
    My thoughts exactly. I'd welcome the comments if I thought they actually meant anything, or some sort of concrete action would follow. Anyway, it's about 10 years too late.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponzi

I think you'll find that the present government has managed to stuff success past the jaws of failure and half way down its gullet. But I suppose as a supporter of the PD's you measure success in terms of falling competitiveness, rising debt, a property bubble, shambolic inadequate infrastructure and an over reliance on a weakening American economy and and American corporations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3 in the one day! Right I was planning on holding off until the Dail returned but I'm to jump the gun on this one, just for Noel and Tom.

Coming soon! (later today)

http://whycantthegovernmentdosomething.blogspot.com/
    Dan Sullivan. I was back but we still couldn't all have a vote. http://www.danielsullivan.ie/blog/

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast