Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Singapore's economy recovers in Q2

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Digout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    at the bar, where the sock puppets are
    Posts
    1,396
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Singapore's economy recovers in Q2

    Another small open economy recovering, more evidence for FF that our decline was because of homegrown and not international factors.

    Singapore's economy recovers in Q2 - The Irish Times - Tue, Jul 14, 2009

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    318
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digout View Post
    Another small open economy recovering, more evidence for FF that our decline was because of homegrown and not international factors.

    Singapore's economy recovers in Q2 - The Irish Times - Tue, Jul 14, 2009
    Singapore is a city state, and so runs a bit differently to normal economies. I found it interesting that the article said "all eyes are on China" though, since the Chinese are going through an artificial boom of their own as they try to dump as many dollars as they can as fast as possible. Naturally the powers that be will attempt to paint that as a sign of recovery, probably causing more long term damage.

    Not to detract from your point however, FF are a blight.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member jpc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In Cork like
    Posts
    4,337
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Singapore has been governed, not run by a shower of cute hoors and their social partners.
    Its only a chat, we ain't the world council.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Harry Lee is the cutest hoor of them all. Hes been there since 1959, his son is the Prime Minister, and his wife runs Temasek Holdings. They lost Billions in their stakes in Lehmans and noone resigned, no heads rolled, and life goes on. Its a fine place.

    Don't be fooled, all that glistens is not gold.
    Last edited by dermo88; 14th July 2009 at 12:28 PM.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    817
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I was there in March and saw all the empty ships anchored off shore. I'm slightly skeptical.
    The future saviour of the Irish Economy: Charles Darwin

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    This side of the ground
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HanleyS View Post
    I was there in March and saw all the empty ships anchored off shore. I'm slightly skeptical.
    As I am, I was talking to someone recently who lives there with family, and he reckons they are as fck'd as us...

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,050
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    It would have to be recovering - China's stimulus plan is well underway by now and it will be sucking in resources and talents from everywhere and Singapore is well placed to benefit from this.

    I expect to see Germany and France picking up big time in the last quarter this year due to this aswell.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Digout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    at the bar, where the sock puppets are
    Posts
    1,396
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HanleyS View Post
    I was there in March and saw all the empty ships anchored off shore. I'm slightly skeptical.
    There are always ships there? I've been there a few times, its a top spot. Were you working there?

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    817
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digout View Post
    There are always ships there? I've been there a few times, its a top spot. Were you working there?
    I was working in SE Asia and was in transit. The empty ships have been moored of there for months.
    The future saviour of the Irish Economy: Charles Darwin

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    This side of the ground
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edo View Post
    I expect to see Germany and France picking up big time in the last quarter this year due to this aswell.
    Trichet might disagree with you on this, I also see that Germanys Investor confidence has fallen, and misses forecast, to the downside

    Add to all this Geithner saying that the rebound will be un-even due to borrowing, the next 100 days will be interesting..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •