Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Next General Election in Laois-Offaly

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Next General Election in Laois-Offaly

With the council elections in Laois and Offaly now behind us, how do the parties stand in this constituency. In 2007 Fianna Fail won three seats with ease and were probably closer to winning a fourth than they were to losing a seat. Fine Gael regained their seat, helped largely by the implosion in the Parlon vote. With a chunk of south-west Offaly now moved into Tipperary North, could this have a bearing on the result? Will the local election results have any impact on the next general election, or will it just be more of the same?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think SF will give a good show of themselves, they are getting very popular in the constituency. They wont take a seat but will see improvement.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by apkavanagh View Post
    With a chunk of south-west Offaly now moved into Tipperary North, could this have a bearing on the result? Will the local election results have any impact on the next general election, or will it just be more of the same?
    Bye bye Olwyn probably, but who'll get the seat?

Will FG run a credible North Offaly candidate?

Will Moloney lose out to the Kerry Joke?

Will Labour drop in a parachute?

Questions, questions.

Politics.ie Newbie Fianna Fáiler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fianna Fáil will run the same four candidates with John Foley possibly replacing one of the two Laois deputies. Fine Gael will run 3, their two incumbents and another, possibly Liam Quinn from Edenderry for Geographic reasons. I think people are talking up Sinn Féin looking at their local elections result they are only on around 6-7% in the whole constituency, far from taking a seat the same with Labour who will again fail to make an impact.

So it'll probably be 3 FF, 2 FG - Same party representation but a change in personnel.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZrK5m9SGSE - What A Legacy To Leave Behind.

"Fianna Fáil is the party of Vision, Energy and Ideas not the passive inheritors of events, We are the history makers" - Bertie Ahern

Economic Left/Right: -3.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 5.08

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by apkavanagh View Post
    With the council elections in Laois and Offaly now behind us, how do the parties stand in this constituency. In 2007 Fianna Fail won three seats with ease and were probably closer to winning a fourth than they were to losing a seat. Fine Gael regained their seat, helped largely by the implosion in the Parlon vote. With a chunk of south-west Offaly now moved into Tipperary North, could this have a bearing on the result? Will the local election results have any impact on the next general election, or will it just be more of the same?
    At the outset, I would like to say that i would support SF in any possible GE.
    I also belive that SF in Laois/Offaly have a great chance of taking a Dail seat in the coming years.Question is will the next GE be to soon for them.
    They have done well in the locals with their increased vote and If the GE was to be held late next year or beyond I think they would put in a very strong showing.

Labour polled poorly at the locals and not electing a councillor in Laois will help SF chances.

If properly marketed and if a clever and well funded campaign was ran I think Brian Stanley would be a serious contender for a seat. But its all about the timing.

FG might have ambitions for a third seat.Possibly a Laois based candidate.Stanley running would hinder this as he has the proven ability to attract votes that normally would not go SF way.There is much to play for and SF in a five seater could not be ruled out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trans-Siberian View Post
    At the outset, I would like to say that i would support SF in any possible GE.
    I also belive that SF in Laois/Offaly have a great chance of taking a Dail seat in the coming years.Question is will the next GE be to soon for them.
    They have done well in the locals with their increased vote and If the GE was to be held late next year or beyond I think they would put in a very strong showing.

Labour polled poorly at the locals and not electing a councillor in Laois will help SF chances.

If properly marketed and if a clever and well funded campaign was ran I think Brian Stanley would be a serious contender for a seat. But its all about the timing.

FG might have ambitions for a third seat.Possibly a Laois based candidate.Stanley running would hinder this as he has the proven ability to attract votes that normally would not go SF way.There is much to play for and SF in a five seater could not be ruled out.
    People said the same about SF this time years ago about taking seats in places like Wexford, Waterford, Cork North Central, Dublin North East, Dublin North West, Dublin Central and Sligo Leitrim, that was after the 2004 Local's and look what happened in 2007.

"Fianna Fáil is the party of Vision, Energy and Ideas not the passive inheritors of events, We are the history makers" - Bertie Ahern

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fianna Fáiler View Post
    Fianna Fáil will run the same four candidates with John Foley possibly replacing one of the two Laois deputies. Fine Gael will run 3, their two incumbents and another, possibly Liam Quinn from Edenderry for Geographic reasons. I think people are talking up Sinn Féin looking at their local elections result they are only on around 6-7% in the whole constituency, far from taking a seat the same with Labour who will again fail to make an impact.

So it'll probably be 3 FF, 2 FG - Same party representation but a change in personnel.
    I admit that 3 ff, 2 fg looks likely at this stage but its all about the timing of the election.
    SF are not organisationaly strong enough at this stage but growing pretty quickly.
    With labours poor organistion in the 2 counties, SF have much to play for in the next couple of years.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Laois County Council - Mountmellick

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fianna Fáiler View Post
    People said the same about SF this time years ago about taking seats in places like Wexford, Waterford, Cork North Central, Dublin North East, Dublin North West, Dublin Central and Sligo Leitrim, that was after the 2004 Local's and look what happened in 2007.
    They got carried away with some of those predictions. I can tell you SF in laois is very grounded in reality and knows full well what it will take to win a Dail seat.IMO, its only a matter of time but i do believe the next GE is to soon.

Several more county councillors in five years time will be the spring board they need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They got carried away with some of those predictions. I can tell you SF in laois is very grounded in reality and knows full well what it will take to win a Dail seat.IMO, its only a matter of time but i do believe the next GE is to soon.

Several more county councillors in five years time will be the spring board they need.
    Maybe not at the next election but maybe in 2017 or whenever it is but if Cowen goes as Taoiseach after the next election he'll just be a backbencher and may retire for 2017 leaving an absolutley huge pool of votes to be played for and not all of his vote will remain with FF, In my opinion.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast