Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's a rip-off as many prices keep on soaring

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Angry It's a rip-off as many prices keep on soaring

CONSUMERS are still being ripped off by inexplicably high prices for a range of basic goods and services.
    They are being fleeced on the cost of vital public services like transport and health at the time they can least afford them.
    Overall, prices in Ireland are falling faster than anywhere else in Europe, with the cost of living falling by 5.4pc in the last year, the sharpest drop since 1933.
    But the latest figures from the Central Statistics Office (CSO) are a tale of two sectors -- most private sector prices are dropping, whereas many of those under government control are continuing to soar.

Full story here.

When will these gombeens be forced out of office???
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Politics.ie Member sauntersplash's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would that not be a good thing? This means less tax revenue is going to support them. And if people have more money from private sector reductions, why not? You can't have your cake and eat it too.
    "No." - Rosa Parks

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aindriu View Post
    CONSUMERS are still being ripped off by inexplicably high prices for a range of basic goods and services.
    They are being fleeced on the cost of vital public services like transport and health at the time they can least afford them.
    Overall, prices in Ireland are falling faster than anywhere else in Europe, with the cost of living falling by 5.4pc in the last year, the sharpest drop since 1933.
    But the latest figures from the Central Statistics Office (CSO) are a tale of two sectors -- most private sector prices are dropping, whereas many of those under government control are continuing to soar.

Full story here.

My God, how dumb a post is this.

Why do you think the cost of Govt services are rising? Less tax take means less money to subsidise already massively subsidised services.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You don't bring a country out of recession by increasing taxes and public transport prices etc etc!
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You don't bring a country out of recession by increasing taxes and public transport prices etc etc!
    No but I think you can use these measures to prevent it turning into a postindustrial wasteland where Tina Turner calls the shots.
    "No." - Rosa Parks

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Full story here.

VHI cost increased considerably this year, medical consultant fee increased (in my experience), hospital charges increased, GP and dental charges certainly not reduced, cost of medicines increased.
    All this at a time when incomes are reduced.

Politics.ie Member Dreaded_Estate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sauntersplash View Post
    No but I think you can use these measures to prevent it turning into a postindustrial wasteland where Tina Turner calls the shots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded_Estate View Post
    Apologies, I was referring to Mad Max 3 Beyond Thunderdome.

The film depicts a fairly unpleasant, violent, anarchic, desert community presided over by Tina Turner, which our little Republic is presently in great danger of coming to resemble.

Just tryin' ta lighten the mood baby...
    "No." - Rosa Parks

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Price for public services rise because they are largely monopolies. Bus & train services get 5% increase every january without fail. Taxi metered fares are of course maximum charges so individual taxi drivers can reduce that if they want.

The government can't lecture commercial businesses about noit reducing their prices while at the same increasing their prices.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uriah View Post
    VHI cost increased considerably this year, medical consultant fee increased (in my experience), hospital charges increased, GP and dental charges certainly not reduced, cost of medicines increased.
    All this at a time when incomes are reduced.
    How often do people under 60 go to the doctor? people always moan about this stuff but I haven't seen a doctor since I was a baby.

Dental check up is free twice a year with PRSI

I have never paid a penny for any of this stuff and I'd expect most people are the same.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast