Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most TDs' parliamentary assistants not based in Dáil

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Most TDs' parliamentary assistants not based in Dáil

Just over a third of the 123 parliamentary assistants appointed to assist TDs are actually based in Leinster House. The remainder work from TDs' constituencies.

Latest figures also show that there are now more than 400 non-civil service political staff on the payroll of the Oireachtas to help TDs and senators with their work, a ratio of nearly two staff to every politician in Leinster House. - Irish Times

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If TDs thought they could get elected based on their parliamentary performance, they'd all be introducing bills to beat the band. Fact us, most Irish voters get exactly the sort of TDs they want. Sad, but democratic.
    Centre right Liberal. Paddy Ashdown with an aircraft carrier.

Politics.ie Newbie
    London (aka Lisbon Treaty/PD demise émigré)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The expression 'arse crawling social workers' may be a touch crude but unfortunately it's not a million miles from the truth.

We're all political nerds yet think of how many TDs we ever mention in terms of national policy formation/debate. Politics is a team sport in this country save a dozen or two real men and women
    "I thought that I had a duty to help those that weren't as lucky as me." -- John Hume

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Decentralisation in practice!

Seriously though - I don't see any problem with the Parliamentary assistants not being based in Leinster House, or its immediate surrounds. With email, the internet and all that trendy stuff, people no longer have to be in the office next to their boss to do their job - especially the kind of research work that these PA's do
    "The IRA Army Council have a history of telling the truth. If they say they didn't do it, then I believe them" - Bertie Ahern, speaking after the murder of Det. Garda Jerry McCabe

How'd ya get a job as a Parliamentary assistant? Is it on publicjobs.ie or public jobs for the boys?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I tend to agree with BarryW. Just because PA's are not on site doesn't make them any less functional.

My understanding is that PA's had to apply for the jobs. What the criteria were that were used for the actual selection presumably was determined by the parties or individual TDs.
    "I like you. You're all right. Actually, I like you better meeting you than if somebody had just given me your record."
    Joey Ramone
    http://cedarlounge.wordpress.com/

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's the reason I have little sympathies for TDs bitching about how hard they work in their constituencies. They could change it if they wished, but haven't got the balls, and that goes for all parties.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some work hard, some don't. But most of those I've ever met tend to work fairly long hours, and to be fair to them their constituents keep them on their toes.
    "I like you. You're all right. Actually, I like you better meeting you than if somebody had just given me your record."
    Joey Ramone
    http://cedarlounge.wordpress.com/

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Worldbystorm
    Some work hard, some don't. But most of those I've ever met tend to work fairly long hours, and to be fair to them their constituents keep them on their toes.
    I don't doubt that. I worked long enough for McDowell to appreciate that huge workload. The reason the workload is so huge is because people have no faith in either local government or the public service not to give them the runaround, hence the need for a "champion" to go in and fight for them.

Having said that, the general ignorance of most Irish people to their rights and how Govt works is shocking. I once directed a guy in work to the Oasis website, and he was convinced it was some sort of secret website only made available to political hacks.

Politics.ie Newbie
    London (aka Lisbon Treaty/PD demise émigré)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Their job is not to work long hours in their constituencies bumping people up waiting lists and attending funerals.
    "I thought that I had a duty to help those that weren't as lucky as me." -- John Hume

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast