Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: What Role For a Monarch in a 32 County Ireland? - Mitchell

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What Role For a Monarch in a 32 County Ireland? - Mitchell

Fine Gael MEP for Dublin Gay Mitchell today initiated a long over due debate on the future role for the British Monarch in Ireland.

Mitchell was speaking at the annual Fine Gael Collins-Griffith Memorial at Glasnevin Cemetery, where he asked the question, “How would we in the Republic of Ireland of the 21st century accommodate the Irish Unionists today?

Drawing on Griffith's Hungarian Dual Monarchy Policy which he described as "considered and imaginative", he emphasised the importance of thinking “outside the conventional box and acting as persuaders” when it came to the constitutional question.

The full text of his speech is available on the Fine Gael Website

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: What Role For a Monarch in a 32 County Ireland? - Mitche

Quote Originally Posted by trueblue
    Fine Gael MEP for Dublin Gay Mitchell today initiated a long over due debate on the future role for the British Monarch in Ireland.

Mitchell was speaking at the annual Fine Gael Collins-Griffith Memorial at Glasnevin Cemetery, where he asked the question, “How would we in the Republic of Ireland of the 21st century accommodate the Irish Unionists today?

Drawing on Griffith's Hungarian Dual Monarchy Policy which he described as "considered and imaginative", he emphasised the importance of thinking “outside the conventional box and acting as persuaders” when it came to the constitutional question.

I am absolutely flabbergasted by this. I always knew FG werw West Brits but this really takes the biscuit!!

Mitchells remarks are outrageous and an attack on the Office of the President. It also leads me to doubt his loyalty to the Constitution.
    For a Liberal Fianna Fáil perspective, take a look at www.donnachamaguire.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny

I am absolutely flabbergasted by this. I always knew FG werw West Brits but this really takes the biscuit!!

Mitchells remarks are outrageous and an attack on the Office of the President. It also leads me to doubt his loyalty to the Constitution.

What the hell? What is Mitchell thinking? The men and women of 1916 who fought to give us the right to chose would turn in their graves.

I could not live in a state where the head of state is there simply based on their birth right. Its a disgusting insult to all shades of Republicans on this island/ I doubt very much Collins would have seen this " as one of his stepping stones"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mitchell would want to be very careful with this. I suspect the point he's trying to make is valid - that in a United Ireland there may have to be some form of dual citizenship option - basically the current system that applies in the North, only in reverse - whereby Unionists in the new UI would be able to retain their British citizenship. But he'd want to be very very careful about the way he phrases it.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does Mitchell honestly think that unity is about the six counties being subsumed into the 26 County Apparatus?

When did FG act as persuaders? When John Bruton was asked this as Taoiseach his response was 'we're not persuaders, we're facillitators'. Typical stand idly by garbage.
    All great truths begin as blasphemies!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Blueshirt Wants His Mummy Shock

While no doubt we'll have to come up with some sort of formal (symbolic but powerless) links to Britain to keep the Unionists and Blueshirts feeling all loved and cuddly, it is absolutely ridiculous to suggest that 80% of the country should have to have something they find utterly repugnant foisted on them just because of the chronic and rampant grovelling tendancies of the 20%

We should be trying to help wean people off Monarchy, not encouraging it! Formal cultural, economic, political linkages to England and Scotland are perfectly alright as long as they are in the spirit of two equal sovereign partners. Whining and servile crawling to a bunch of Anglo-Germans and talking about one family in mystical reverence is something humanity should have outgrown long ago.

There can be no compromise on the matter of Monarchy. No compromise at all. Anything else is negotiable.
    Je suis un loo-lah

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Fine Gael - The Irish Monarchist Party??

Shane’s right Mitchell’s speech will be a gift for Republicans from all parties. One wonders what the Fine Gael leadership were thinking when they approved it. Kenny’s speech today in Beal na mBlath may well be overshadowed by this pro-monarchist drivel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It has about much chance of hapening as a snowballs in hell! :twisted:

Anyway the Monarch of Britain must be a Protestant so that would stop it dead in it's tracks one way or another.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like a good start to opening ourselves up to a more inclusive society that represents the two biggest traditions on this island. Northern Ireland has bent over numerous occasions to accomdate the green up there.

What bloody difference does it actually make to your personal lives if we have a dual monarchy situation?

Makes feck all difference to mine...
    "Great minds talk about ideas; mediocre minds talk about events; small minds talk about people"

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I despise the idea of a monarchy for Ireland. I want to be a citizen under a constitution that protects my rights, not a subject subjugated to the will of a government or even a parliament.

Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast