Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Beal Na mBlath

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Beal Na mBlath

What time does the commemoration begin on Sunday next?
    who's speaking??

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

who are ye commemorating ?

A terrorist ?

A man who was a member of a secret organisation, whose aim was to overthrow a legitimate government ?

A man who sent out other men to shoot men in their beds in cold blood, as they lay beside their wives, girlfriends and mistresses ?

A member of Sinn Fein ?

Can I come too
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am attending even though I despise the Blueshirts. Poor Mick must spin in his grave every August to be commerated by the party of Concrete Cooney and John Unionist Bruton.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sunday 3pm. Oration to be given by Enda Kenny TD.

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barthez
    Sunday 3pm. Oration to be given by Enda Kenny TD.
    I'm sure Mick Collins would have loved Enda on his shoulder between 1916-21.

picture the scene...

Mick and Enda, hiding in a roadside dugout ... a noise from the darkness

Mick turns to Enda .."what was that"

Enda responds ... "T'was a knife .. torn from its leather scabbard ... by a wild eyed man .. whose intentions are not good I'm sure ... but who (blah blah blah, blah blah blah, blah blah blah)"

Enda carries the sentence on for another 10 minutes ... whereupon Collins crawls from the dugout, asks the Tan for the knife as he's lost his will to live ..

and Irish history has changed forever
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The more the merrier. It's been going since 1923, and is getting bigger every year.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ah, but Collins was a better type of 'terrorist'.

He only used fairy dust and powder puffs, and he didn't really mean it anyway.

Not like the modern fellows who bring disgrace on the proud name of killing people to achieve national self determination.

No no, Collins was bigger and better than those fellows who bring disgrace on the great tradition of secret revolutionary organisations that ignore the writ of 'democratic' governments.

Damn, but if we had big Mick here now he'd show them how to kill someone with dignity.
    Meon na saoirse.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

all ye shinners etc. hated Collins. He was a free-state traitor in ye're eyes. he was airbrushed out of irish history by ye and ye're kind. FG always saw Collins as one of our own. In the hours after collins death in Cork, men like mulcahy, fitzgerald, cosgrave, blythe, met in the mansion house. these were the men who carried on where collins left off. these were the men who went on to put the democratic institutions of this state in place. these were the men who formed Fine Gael. I'll be proud to remember Collins on sunday.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

all ye shinners etc. hated Collins
    I know we did, in fact I'd a hilarious little quip posted earlier but Dave removed it on account of it being inappropriate.

he was airbrushed out of irish history by ye and ye're kind.
    "Us and our kind" were the minority in the state DT, your side won the Civil War remember? And as such we had Collins' brand of Catholic Free Statism rammed down our throats for the best part of 80 years. (Of Course De Valera replicated the same scenario).

In the hours after collins death in Cork, men like mulcahy, fitzgerald, cosgrave, blythe, met in the mansion house. these were the men who carried on where collins left off
    What? Swearing oaths of allegiance to the crown, raping women and strapping prsioners to landmines?

these were the men who formed Fine Gael. I'll be proud to remember Collins on sunday
    Good luck to you, I'll save my time for actual Republicans thanks.
    "You can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time" - Peter Tosh of The Wailers

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Throat
    all ye shinners etc. hated Collins. He was a free-state traitor in ye're eyes. he was airbrushed out of irish history by ye and ye're kind. FG always saw Collins as one of our own. In the hours after collins death in Cork, men like mulcahy, fitzgerald, cosgrave, blythe, met in the mansion house. these were the men who carried on where collins left off. these were the men who went on to put the democratic institutions of this state in place. these were the men who formed Fine Gael. I'll be proud to remember Collins on sunday.
    So if all shinners hated him why was it that the Collins family asked that Tom Barry give the speech at the Sam Cross monument and not the leader of FG at the time.

We never airbrushed anyone I think you are mistaken shinners with FF and Dev, all the shinners I knew growing up always had respect for Collins but not for that merchant class rabble he had the misfortune to be landed with. I think you might find that a lot of peope in FG have no time for Michael Collins, ask John Bruton or Alan Shatter their opinion.

I hope your proud of everything not just the bits you like

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast