Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish soldiers see deaths, injuries & gun battles - seek compensation

Politics.ie Member MsAnneThrope's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Irish soldiers see deaths, injuries & gun battles - seek compensation

From Sunday's Tribune:

Taxpayers face €13m bill from 38 military mental-stress cases

A TOTAL of 38 Defence Forces personnel are taking cases against the government for post-traumatic stress disorder after witnessing deaths, injuries or gun battles while on overseas duty.

A number of soldiers have already successfully sued the state for damages, with one former private getting more than €300,000 in damages.

If all 38 of those involved in suits for post-traumatic stress were successful, the bill for the taxpayer could be as high as €13m, which would not include legal fees.

However, the Department of Defence appears determined to vigorously contest all claims and has already taken steps to have 10 cases dismissed, it has confirmed.

A statement said: "[The] department currently has approximately 38 personal injury claims primarily alleging post-traumatic stress disorder arising from service abroad.
    Now I don't envy their job when sent abroad on peacekeeping duty but what do they expect to see when they sign up for army life? The army deafness claims already are said to have cost the taxpayer close to 300 million. While there are only 38 cases seeking compensation for post-traumatic stress at the moment, potentially costing €13m plus legal fees, is there not a danger that number could skyrocket?

Is it not the same thing as doctors and nurses seeking compensation from the HSE for distressing sights they've experienced in hospitals? Or ambulance drivers called to accident scenes? Similarly gardaí? Or firemen?

Have these soldiers any case here for financial compensation? Personally I don't think they have and should consider and start preparing for an alternative career in the long run. In the meantime I believe genuine cases should be excused from further peacekeeping duty, where possible, and should have relevant counselling provided and assistance with training for alternative employment.
    We all love animals. Why do we call some 'pets' and others 'dinner'?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MsAnneThrope View Post
    From Sunday's Tribune:

Taxpayers face €13m bill from 38 military mental-stress cases

Now I don't envy their job when sent abroad on peacekeeping duty but what do they expect to see when they sign up for army life? The army deafness claims already are said to have cost the taxpayer close to 300 million. While there are only 38 cases seeking compensation for post-traumatic stress at the moment, potentially costing €13m plus legal fees, is there not a danger that number could skyrocket?

Is it not the same thing as doctors and nurses seeking compensation from the HSE for distressing sights they've experienced in hospitals? Or ambulance drivers called to accident scenes? Similarly gardaí? Or firemen?

Have these soldiers any case here for financial compensation? Personally I don't think they have and should consider and start preparing for an alternative career in the long run. In the meantime I believe genuine cases should be excused from further peacekeeping duty, where possible, and should have relevant counselling provided and assistance with training for alternative employment.
    this is compo culture gone mad, next we'll have surgeons wanting compo coz they faint at the sight of blood.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If an Irish soldiers has been on the battlefield and seen the hideous effects on modern weapons on human bodies and experienced the constant unrelenting fear 24/7 and was asked to go endure that experience for Ireland they deserve compensation if they suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder.

No argument or question about it. It is the least the deserve.

Firefighters, ambulance crew and gardai who have witnessed the aftermath of horrific accidents and scenes of carnage deserve them same.

No question about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They take their lead from the top.

Cowen takes home such a fortune because he has to watch other people running countries. It must wear him out.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swansandtyphus View Post
    If an Irish soldiers has been on the battlefield and seen the hideous effects on modern weapons on human bodies and experienced the constant unrelenting fear 24/7 and was asked to go endure that experience for Ireland they deserve compensation if they suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder.

Firefighters, ambulance crew and gardai who have witnessed the aftermath of horrific accidents and scenes of carnage deserve them same.

No question about it.
    if they suffer from PTSD then they deserve to be treated sympathetically at the states expense for as long as necessary. monetary compensation alone is not the answer. also they should be fully aware that soldiering is not a career as it is marketed as nowadays. soldiers are trained to kill and to die and thats the reality. i for one think that the types of ads for army 'careers' that are shown on UK channels are a disgrace, hanggliding my ass. tell the truth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No question about it.
    There is not one conscript in the Irish Army.

Everyone of them is a volunteer and you know that you'll see some distressing sights when you sign up.

Full and free treatment for PTSD at the state's expense, of course, absolutely, 100%.

Not one single penny for "compensation".
    Freedom, Tolerance & Equality of Opportunity

Economic Left/Right: -1.25
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.33

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What do we even need an Army for ?

We'd be better off getting rid of the whole fkn lot of them & funding an sas type force.

Useless bastards.

Politics.ie Member MsAnneThrope's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No question about it.
    I imagine it would be extremely difficult to define "hideous effects" and "carnage". One soldier, or garda, or ambulance crew member might consider a case of severe bleeding as carnage while others may consider it no more than a flesh wound. I guess a lot of it would be down to experience and personal tolerance. My point being it could easily be open to interpretation and possibly exploitation if compensation was available.

Perhaps better awareness during training of what they may expect to see and encounter would help them decide if it was the right career for them? Currently the Road Safety carnage ads are far more graphic and gruesome than any army ads or recruitment campaigns I've ever seen over the years.
    We all love animals. Why do we call some 'pets' and others 'dinner'?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Only last week we had a soldier found guilty of sexually assaulting a 13 year-old.
    Irish soldier is jailed for sex assaults on 13-year-old - Local & National, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Now this!

And a couple of months back we had that officer wan who was banging her sergeant only to go out with his brother a couple of weeks later!

The Irish army sounds like great craic altogether. I wonder what else is below the iceberg.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I blame the drill sergeants in the Curragh camp. They ******************** them up for life down there.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast