Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does NATO still exist?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why does NATO still exist?

Simply put: what purpose does NATO still serve? Should it be rolled up and packed away unless Putin has a Simpsonesque moment where he presses a button and Lenin climbs out of his case?

It still seems to serve as a stick for hawks in Washington to shake at the Kremlin, but why would France or Germany still help fund such an organisation? In the fight against terrorism, an alliance of police forces or intelligence organisations would be far more effective.

NATO membership hinders rather than helps EU autonomy, so what's the story?
    We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As currently imagined, there isn't that much of a purpose to it anymore. Not for the US, as it effectively allows many of their allies a free ride.

I asked this question of a NATO rep last year, and got an excessive amount of waffle on the subject. I don't think they are too sure, never mind anyone else

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think Russia is even a junior member now.
    Political Compass, July 2007:
    Economic Left/Right: 4.88
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.03

My slow drift to the right continues....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Liberal333
    The preferred term is 'partner.' Though I think that relationship has soured.

Russian officials vary from looking down on NATO members as pawns to US foreign policy, to being outrightly hostile. Every time Ukraine takes one step closer to joining, Gazprom engages in some pipeline rattling.

I have this mental picture that all the pipelines are connected to the radiator in Putin's office, where he takes off his shoe to hit it from time to time.
    We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true.

Politics.ie Newbie
    London (aka Lisbon Treaty/PD demise émigré)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Josh Lyman wondered the same thing and concluded there must be cool jackets or a dinner club
    "I thought that I had a duty to help those that weren't as lucky as me." -- John Hume

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

NATO is still seen as an alliance between Europe and the US while the Germans and more so the French have been critical of it and expressed interest in leaving the new EU states and other former communist European countries want to join it, as they see it as improving or maintaining good relations with the US which in turn gives them money

I fully agree with you it should be disbanded personally I believe as far as possible all military alliances with the EU and US should be broken but it is unlikely to happen
    "We know what to do, we just dont know how to get elected afterwards" Jean-Claude Juncker on how to fix the European economy

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by campbeca
    Josh Lyman wondered the same thing and concluded there must be cool jackets or a dinner club
    He might be on to something. Looks swanky:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by St Disibod
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberal333
    The preferred term is 'partner.' Though I think that relationship has soured.

Russian officials vary from looking down on NATO members as pawns to US foreign policy, to being outrightly hostile. Every time Ukraine takes one step closer to joining, Gazprom engages in some pipeline rattling.

I have this mental picture that all the pipelines are connected to the radiator in Putin's office, where he takes off his shoe to hit it from time to time.
    Brilliant! :twisted:

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Why does NATO still exist?

Simply put: what purpose does NATO still serve? Should it be rolled up and packed away unless Putin has a Simpsonesque moment where he presses a button and Lenin climbs out of his case?

It still seems to serve as a stick for hawks in Washington to shake at the Kremlin, but why would France or Germany still help fund such an organisation? In the fight against terrorism, an alliance of police forces or intelligence organisations would be far more effective.

To waste taxpayers money (including Irish) on armaments thereby making large profits fro weapons manufacturers.

To carry out research into more 'efficient' ways of killing people.

To facilitate Bush's 'war' on terror.

etc. etc. etc.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Why does NATO still exist?

Quote Originally Posted by doheochai

To waste taxpayers money (including Irish) on armaments thereby making large profits fro weapons manufacturers.
    including irish?
    "She'll hold together. Hear me, baby? Hold together!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast