Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Scores killed in Chinese protests

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Scores killed in Chinese protests

From the Beebs...
    Violence in China's restive western region of Xinjiang has left at least 140 people dead and more than 800 people injured, state media say.

Several hundred people were arrested after a protest, in the city of Urumqi on Sunday, turned violent.

Beijing says Uighurs went on the rampage but one exiled Uighur leader says police fired on students.

The protest was reportedly prompted by a deadly fight between Uighurs and Han Chinese in southern China last month.

The BBC's Chris Hogg in Shanghai says this is one of the most serious clashes between the authorities and demonstrators in China since Tiananmen Square in 1989.
    Its been fairly apparent for a while now that the "benevolent dictatorship" of the Chinese state has only been sustainable as long as there was continued economic growth, and with the global downturn it was only a matter of time before the sparks hit the tinder.

Will the People's Republic survive another ten years in its current configuration?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

not a peep from the leftwing crusaders about gross human rights abuses amongst a population of 1bn people.
    I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever. - Kanye West

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the people of that region have been quietlky protesting for years. China has opressed the people of Tibvet for as long as Israel has oppressed the palestinians, and are holding onto this region for its mineral welath and stragtigc importance, similar to the west in the middle east, but where are the left with their protests
    "Sometimes the best thing a government can do is simply get out of the way"-Vince Cable

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zakalwe1 View Post
    not a peep from the leftwing crusaders about gross human rights abuses amongst a population of 1bn people.
    Its the governments right to chose. Who are you to force your ant-mass murder morality on others?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandar View Post
    the people of that region have been quietlky protesting for years. China has opressed the people of Tibvet for as long as Israel has oppressed the palestinians, and are holding onto this region for its mineral welath and stragtigc importance, similar to the west in the middle east, but where are the left with their protests
    The original protests were in south China. China is comprised of dozens of smaller ethnic groups, who at the best of times are only loosely held together by the state, and even then only by the dangling carrot of economic betterment. Now the carrot is gone, the stick comes out, and it remains to be seen just how well their totalitarian model holds up. My guess is, it won't.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dios View Post
    From the Beebs...

Its been fairly apparent for a while now that the "benevolent dictatorship" of the Chinese state has only been sustainable as long as there was continued economic growth, and with the global downturn it was only a matter of time before the sparks hit the tinder.

Will the People's Republic survive another ten years in its current configuration?
    The Uighurs have been looking for independence for a long time. Its really not indicative of the attitude of Chinese generally.

The poor bastards will probably be slaughtered.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why would there be? There own heroes like Trotsky, lenin, Stalin, Mao, Minh all slaughtered people it is what communists do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nodin View Post
    The Uighurs have been looking for independence for a long time. Its really not indicative of the attitude of Chinese generally.

The poor bastards will probably be slaughtered.....
    Whilst I would like to see the current inhuman regime destroyed utterly, the loss of life to accomplish this would be appalling.

I can only hope that the death toll by government mass murder isnt too high, that I am afraid, is the only thing we can realistically hope for.
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

its more a case that the left stopped being economics years ago, they havent had a thinker in economics in the twentieth century who could develop their ideology to cope with the changes which the twentieth cnetury brought, but they do have a lot of cultural critics, so become cultural marxists, and the culture they dislike is the west,. so they will always criticise rthe west and ignore anything else...
    "Sometimes the best thing a government can do is simply get out of the way"-Vince Cable

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I visted it in recent years and I can honestly say it is the most sinister I have ever been. It reflected very badly on us ("the west") that we put up with it just to get a few cheap barbies made.

Peole would not buy wine from south africa a few years ago(which I agree was the correct thing to do) and yet we buy everything and export our jobs to this moral cesspit. It is truely the worst of all worlds, peole die on the street there because it is the most ultra capitalist system going. At least in the USA a charity might give you a bowl of soup etc, China will come back to haunt us. There is no good economics that ignores morality, surely we dont need to learn that lesson again.
    China will finish the USA yet.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast