Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandatory Sick Days in the Public Sector?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Mandatory Sick Days in the Public Sector?

Michael O'Leary is ranting again.

MICHAEL O'LEARY - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

In his article he mentions that Public Sector get 10 mandatory sick days a year.

Can P.ie users confirm that this is true because I find it very hard to believe.

And if it is true then would someone from the Public Sector please justify it for me.

I'm quietly seething in anticipation of your response.
    If at first you don't succeed. Quit. Or you'll just look stupid.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's tosh. I agree with most of the rest of his rant, however (and I work for a semistate). If you on sick leave for more than two days you are required to produce a cert. If you take more than 5 uncertified days per year you could be in trouble.

Politics.ie Member sauntersplash's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is not true. The use of the word 'mandatory' would suggest that employees are required to take them, this is not true either.

Also, I have a feeling that no response will alter your 'seething' mindframe.
    "No." - Rosa Parks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

my wife is PS and this is definitely not true

(on a sidenote, I do remember working in private industry in Australia and there was definite pressure to take all of your 8 days 'sick leave' every year, even if you were as healthy as a trout .)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its interesting, they don't even think up headlines for their articles with him in there anymore, relying completely on his rep to get people to read. A classic rant with kicks everywhere....nobody will disagree with this I suspect:
    "There is no doubt that Bertie Ahern was the most useless taoiseach this country has ever had. He squandered the wealth of an entire generation. Divvying it up, buying off every vested interest, establishing quangos left, right and centre, just to keep everyone happy.
    What does "compulsory sick days" mean - that they HAVE to be taken? Why would that be a requirement of a job?
    We are "they"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am sure mandatory os not correct.

However it is true that public sector employees take more uncertified sick days than private sector. It is particularly high for prison officers at 20+ days a year. Teachers also seem to be high given they work 8-9 months a year.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

O'Leary telling lies again. What's new? Just ignore him. Hopefully he'll go down with one of his planes very soon.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shane 71 View Post
    O'Leary telling lies again. What's new? Just ignore him. Hopefully he'll go down with one of his planes very soon.

Hoping he is killed in a plane crash along with presumably 180 or so innocent victims is pretty sick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Absolute rubbish.

Typical of that O'Leary Idiot...Lets talk sh*te and the Irish Independent will print it.

But then again the Independent likes to give every right wing crackpot a soapbox.

The sooner Irish Independent goes the way of the Irish Press the better

I'd settle for his airline going under rather than any one plane, even if he's on board.
    Fib about the mandatory sick absence.

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast