Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Year of the French

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Year of the French

Guy Beiner's book entitled 'Remembering the Year of the French: Irish Folk History and Social Memory' is out in paperback later this month.

Besides being a history of the role of the French in the 1798 Rebellion it is also a unique exercise in the use of Oral History which originated from the 1930s. Beiner is an Israeli academic who holds a doctorate from UCD.
    "The thing that always annoyed me about traditional Irish historiography was the paradox of its Anglocentrism. People are now prepared, I think, to confront the possibility that many Irish problems are, in a sense, indigenous to the Irish situation." Roy Foster (1989).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Excellent book.

Politics.ie Member Joseph Emmet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have not seen it here in the US, but why would there be a year of the French? It was their inability it land the first expedition, and thus set up the failure of the second landing .
    Pep Without Purpose Is Piffle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nem View Post
    Guy Beiner's book entitled 'Remembering the Year of the French: Irish Folk History and Social Memory' is out in paperback later this month.

Besides being a history of the role of the French in the 1798 Rebellion it is also a unique exercise in the use of Oral History which originated from the 1930s. Beiner is an Israeli academic who holds a doctorate from UCD.
    Thanks for the Info Nem

But 1798 a Rebellion?

Surely it was a Rising?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Emmet View Post
    Have not seen it here in the US, but why would there be a year of the French? It was their inability it land the first expedition, and thus set up the failure of the second landing .
    That's how it was remembered in local folklore, especially in Mayo and other places in the west where the French landing had a massive impact. This is what the book studies, the popular memory of 1798 in the west of Ireland in the nineteenth century.

The book is published by a US publisher, Wisconsin-Madison University Press I think.

Default An entirely new approach to Irish history

I recently read Beiner's book and, being a 1798 buff, I can honestly say that it's the best book on Irish history I've read for a very long time.
    Even though I had read Richard Hayes's fine book and a couple of others on the topic, this book taught me a lot about the 1798 rebellion and the French invasion of Mayo which I hadn't known before hand.
    But beyond that, this book really made me think critically about Irish history and the way it has been written. It's not only about using oral history and folklore but also about how memory works. Once I finished reading it, my whole concept of history has utterly changed.
    I'd highly recommend reading it!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Read the book recently - it's absolutely brilliant!
    I hear he's due to come out shortly with a new book on 1798 in Antrim and Down. Can hardly wait...